Best music server software

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by h4rm0ny, Nov 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I don't know if music software technically falls under "HTPC" but it seemed to be in the right area.

I have an AVR hooked up to some decent speakers and I want to get my music out of it. The AVR supports DLNA as well as having the usual audio inputs. I used to subscribe to Xbox Music but they restrict everything from playing over DLNA devices and I don't want to leave my tablet wired to the AVR all the time, so away with them. Mostly I'm just impulse-buying music from Amazon which downloads as MP3s to my desktop.

I want to be able to create and manage playlists easily. That is my biggest requirement. So I'm really looking for some software that I can run on my desktop which will stream over DLNA and which I can access over HTTP from my tablet over my home network.

I'm totally willing to spend money if the best solution is proprietary or hardware. But I'm very comfortable with both GNU/Linux and Windows, so there must be something out there that works and has a nice interface.

Suggestions? What do others here use?

2. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Serviio works well, its light weight and free. I used Serviio before I went to Plex. Both are great solutions.

3. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    I have PS3 Media Server running, works like a charm

4. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I use Subsonic here, also stream to my smartphone at work using Subsonic app (android) and iSub (Apple)

5. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I'm late to the party on this thread, but I just setup PLEX and love it. Definitely check it out. I would go through some features, but I actually just confused myself writing out everything I do with it... it's too much. but basically, you can stream that over 4g wi-fi, to tablets, phones, everything, or just get to it via web browser.

EDIT: Plex just added playlist support for Android, so that's pretty crucial. I have not found it to do gapless playback, but I haven't looked into it yet. Keep that in mind.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Serviio for DLNA I found to be the best.