NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    But the game still ends up being converted to DX11 calls, which means IF WE HAD THE CORRECT FUNCTIONS. It would WORK , even if the engine underlying it is OGL.

We are able to force HBAO+ without a problem in The Evil Within even though the underlying engine is running OGL> (Tip: HBAO+ isn't possible in OGL unless the game itself has it)

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd also like to comment that after trying a recent game built on the latest UE3 UDK, games that have undefeatable FXAA are definitely tied to the "DepthOfField=" option. Which also disables ALL post processing effects.

Which is very frustrating. An engine change that I despise that Epic made. I believe it probably has to do with them doing what they call an "Uber post processing" shader which they do all passes in just one or some****.
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Deve...cess Effect Properties Kismet Sequence Action

Ugh.

3. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    I hate when devs do that. How do they not understand that some people don't like post-AA, and others won't like depth of field, etc.? I guess it is easier for them to do or something...

EDIT: I looked at the script code. It seems like it can still be disabled individually. I'm guessing it is a developer choice in order to dumb down the options menu so people don't get confused. You aren't born knowing what depth of field, motion blur, bloom, chromatic aberration, post-AA, etc. means lol. They think it looks best and all of them have a minimal performance hit, so why not throw it into a single option so people don't get confused? The amount of time a dev would save by putting it all in one option is minimal when considering the duration of development as a whole. Of course, they could also have an advanced menu...idk, there is no point in speculating on this lol.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Regardless, is annoying! :(

5. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Some games I am looking into:

Dungeon Defenders 2
    Game of thrones, telltale
    Tales of borderlands, telltale

The walking dead profile does not work on either. Nor does the wolf among us profile.

Also, the sgssaa bits for van hellsing, does not seem to work, it freezes at the main screen, this is also true for vh2, and deathtrap. Which uses the VH engine.

6. schwat

schwat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    First of all I want to say thanks for this thread, it is a great resource and has helped me get SGSSAA working with a ton of games.

I've been playing around with nvidia inspector & various compatibility bits trying to get SGSSAA working with Killing Floor but so far do not seem to have much luck.

I have had some minor luck getting downsampling working with GeDoSaTo but then I run into issues with the mouse that I'm still trying to sort out.

Only mention of Killing Floor & compatibility bits I can find is in this thread: forums.nexusmods. com/index.php?/topic/1410305-antialiasing-and-general-nvidia-settings/

With this info:
    Killing Floor
    -AA driver bit: 0x20410041
    -AA driver setting: TrSSAA
    -AA game setting: 4xMSAA
    -AA injector setting: none
    -FPS limit: 30
    -Anisotropic: 8x

Anybody else had any luck getting SGSSAA or OGSSAA working with Killing Floor? Any tips on some more settings or compatibility bits to try?

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I believe Killing Floor has a good ingame MSAA setting, which you can enhance with SGSSAA through the driver.
    It shouldn't be necessary to force SSAA with a custom AA flag in this game.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I recall SGSSAA working with KF when I tested it last year.

Maybe i'll have to try again

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I am posting a small update and some tweakables for

-Medal of Honor (2010 SP)--

AA Information:

The flag 0x080000C1 is listed for use with SGSSAA, and it does work with this.

However there is a minor issue: Without AA Fix/With Fix
    You can see that it doesn't happen with the fix, but at the same time, this is literally the only surface i've found that has the issue. I tried with other surfaces and vehicles, none other had it that I could see.

And there is also the fact that with the AA Fix enabled, SGSSAA doesn't work as well either. So personally I think it's better to not use the AA Fix.

This flag ALSO works with OGSSAA and HSAA (When using SGSSAA at the same time)!

4x4 OGSSAA - It's recommend you disable the Depth of Field if you want to use OGSSAA. You can disable it in "My Documents/EA Games/Medal Of Honor/Config/MOHAEngine.ini" in system settings "DepthOfField=False"

In my testing, 1.5x1.5 DSR +HSAA/SGSSAA Provides the best playable results! (also due in part to the DoF buffer and the ugly white masking)

Here's some pictures of 1.5x1.5 DSR (pictures resampled with bicubic to approximate DSR)+4xS|2xSGSSAA
    http://i.minus.com/izmx5fYN6BW4E.png
    http://i.minus.com/ibhm6ZqFbvgyZV.png
    http://i.minus.com/ibsCRKrH8BQLiA.png
    http://i.minus.com/i5TpXh5xQ9gm9.png

Tweakables:
    We will be working with "MOHAEngine.ini" for all changes!

Shadow Quality- This game doesn't use traditional shadows from UE3 aside from baked shadows. It uses CSM instead (Cascaded Shadow Maps), and boy are they ugly and low res. The only way to improve and tweak these is to change the following settings to the posted values
    Code:
    CSMSizeScale=4.000000 - [I]WARNING, this hugely increase VRAM usage[/I]
    ShadowFilterRadius=1.000000 - [I]Don't use higher values they cause some visual glitches, while this doesn't.[/I]

CSMScale=2/CSMScale=4

Texture Streaming and LoD Tweaks
    - There is quite a bit of texture streaming that you can help improve by adding the following to the end of every "TEXTUREGROUP"
    Code:
    ,NumStreamedMips=0
    And these other changes
    Code:
     PoolSize=320 - [I]This can be the size of your choosing [/I]
    MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
    MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
    For LoD changes, we can improve some but not eliminate it all. Some is hard coded. So make sure the following values match (Do note that the ones in all CAPS are actually DIFFERENT variables than the ones not in caps. They are specific to this game at the very end of "[SystemSettings]")
    Code:
    STATICMESHLODBIAS=-1
    SKELETALMESHSHADOWLODBIAS=-1
    MAXDYNAMICDECALS=-1
    MAXSTATICDECALS=-1
    MAXPARTICLES=-1
    SkeletalMeshLODBias=-1
    ParticleLODBias=-1

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I do have something for Killing Floor, will post an update soon.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    --Killing Floor--
    General information:

Killing floor has 3 renderers available.
    OpenGL 2.1
    Direct3D 8
    Direct3D 9

Forcing any kind of AA, including SGSSAA is possible with different results in each.

We'll start with:
    • OpenGL
      To use SGSSAA with Killing Floor in OpenGL set inspector to match this
      I'm not sure if this is specific to me and my setup, but I actually ran into some performance problems with this in OGL. So I don't know if it's indicative of anything.
    • Direct3D 8
      To use SGSSAA in DX8, match these settings.
    • Direct3D 9
      This is where things get a little more complex. Set the AA flag 0x000000C1 and set the AA the same as with DX8. If you feel this output is too blurry for your tastes, you can add -1.2500 LOD. Match this if you wish to do so

EDIT: I do run into some performance problems in DX9 too, ex screens

http://i.minus.com/ibgVLO7zoHPEET.png
    http://i.minus.com/iwN6JYYeL1H0e.png
    http://i.minus.com/itj1SE0aHV8ho.png
    http://i.minus.com/iZEGrwfptt9Oc.png
    Game seems largely single thread bound or something? Shots above are 4xS+2xSGSSAA which only takes about 30-40% GPU usage most of the time.

I get drops with pre-rendered frames 1 or 3 too.

Is a 1st Gen Core i7 @4Ghz not good enough for a UE2 game? :3eyes:

EDIT2: Seems like the shadows setting is to blame here, setting it to blob fixes the issue largely. I forget Shadows are CPU intensive apparently. Too intensive in this old engine. For example I was going to record some AA comparisons, but stopped because even with the in game AA trying to record brought performance down to the 10's range. Not even limiting the game to one specific thread and removing that thread from the framecapture software did anything.

EDIT3: still getting some framerate issues.

If you are interested in Downsampling and or using GeDoSaTo with Killing Floor too, there is a very useful post here! http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4979625&postcount=2663 :)

No AA

No bits 8xSGSSAA DX8
    8xSGSSAA OGL
    No Bits 8xSGSSAA DX9
    C1 8xSGSSAA DX9
    C1 8xSGSSAA DX9|-1.25 LOD
    C1 4x4 OGSSAA DX9

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  12. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    Did anyone ever figure out a way to force AA in Wolfenstein: The New Order? I tried forcing multisampling through the console but that does next to nothing. Downsampling does very little to improve the visuals as well.

I thought I remember finding a way to force it in RAGE so I figured there must be a way to force it in Wolfenstein too.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I dunno, doesn't it have a Multisampling command or something in the console?

You could use that and then try to enhance it with one of the "xSupersampling" modes under transparency AA. This is equivalent to the SGSSAA setting in DX9 in OGL. Not many games work with it though

14. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    I tried both forcing and enhancing with Supersampling from Nvidia CP without any luck. I didn't bother trying it with Nvidia Inspector because, without any flags, it would just be the same thing as using the CP wouldn't it?

I did activate 8X Multisampling from the console, but I couldn't even tell if it was working. I lost a few FPS, but it didn't seem to have much effect on the aliasing, probably because it's the temporal aliasing that's bugging me, and Multisampling doesn't do much for that anyways.

It's a shame because Wolfenstein is a very nice looking game otherwise.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    yeah, the screens I saw of it when it came out were horribly aliased.

:/

16. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    I just realized there's no way I'd be able to run AA with Wolfenstein anyways.. or at least not without significantly lowering some of the graphics options which is something I would be reluctant to do.

According to GPU-Z, I'm already using over 1700 mb of VRAM on my 2GB GTX 770 when I'm running it. This is a game where you definitely need a 4GB card to apply AA with high settings.

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    VRAM isn't really the problem, since you would most likely need more GPU power to use enhanced TrSSAA in Wolfenstein anyway :)
    My general experience is, that you usually run out of GPU power before running out of VRAM in most games.
    Perhaps with the exception of Watch Dogs and Shadow of Mordor etc.

18. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    I would probably need both, but VRAM is definitely the main issue. Since enabling TrSSAA (I usually go with 4X SGSSAA) can increase VRAM usage anywhere from 50% to nearly 100%, there's no way it could be done in Wolfenstein with a single 2GB card. I assume the other idtech 5 titles are similar.

As far as GPU power is concerned, I'm not finding Wolfenstein to be as demanding as some people have claimed. I'm downsampling at 2880x1800 on high settings (with some settings on Ultra) and getting a steady 50-60 fps.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  19. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Hey Bonk, I'm not entirely sure what you did here, could you break it down step wise or with a picture?

Especially the enhancing 4xS and adding FXAA on top part is what's confused me a bit. Further, the new update added DX11 so I'm assuming this is on DX9?

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Sorry it's confusing, but yeah DX9. I Assume it could work in DX11 too, haven't tried.

But basically, set the MSAA in game. Set inspector to enhance that, in this example 2xMSAA so I used 4xS and then also set 2xSGSSAA. Since Nvidia broke it, normally couldn't force AA and FXAA at the same time. But you can when enhancing! So enable FXAA too, and then enable DSR, set 2x2 resolution and there you go.

I'll try to make a step by step guide simpler on that post. Sorry >_> the results are GREAT though!@