AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

The solution I use is to just use a batch file that starts up with Windows that deletes the bcdedit entry.

So I have a batch file called "useplatformclockdelete.bat" and it contains:
    Code:
    bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    And I save it to the Startup folder:
    Code:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    And I run it once during that Windows session so that the entry is already deleted for the next reboot (if this isn't done; HPET won't be disabled on the next reboot, but will be on reboots after that).

It's more like a workaround though instead of a solution :p

As for why I do it; I don't notice any issues with using the CPU clock for timings, and with synthetic timing benchmarks, it's far faster. The HPET clock on my motherboard is also 32-bit, with no toggle for 64-bit.

Windows 7 and Linux seem to always use the CPU clock. Windows 8.1 on it's own also uses the CPU clock, but AMD seems to force HPET strictly for 8.1 on AMD platforms for some reason when Catalyst is installed.

As for why, I have no idea. On the one hand, I' sure they don't do this for fun and have/had some reason to do it in the first place, but on the other hand, I have no (noticeable) issues with it disabled...

Benefits of HPET being enabled is that you have a reliable clock for timing. Downside is that it's slow (compared to CPU clock), and uses more resources. Benefits of using the CPU for timing is that it's faster, and uses less resources. Downside is that it can be unreliable in specific scenarios (usually involving overclocking; especially when doing it from the OS (there was some article a little while back about how the clock on Intel-based machines on 8.1 would go out-of-sync pretty badly when doing overclocking in the OS)).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    WOW! I guess v-sync, adaptive v-sync or d3doverrider never existed before now.

Which utility do you use to achieve this? I tried (I think) all 3rd party apps and none work. One works (GeDoSaTo) but mouse input is way off most of the times (diablo 3 for example).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  3. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    My Dell U2913 manages to clock to 75hz, which is a far cry from 120/144 but at least its a little better! See if your IPS or whatever can do some minor clocking up too.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Still a no go, i removed the 14.9s from safe mode with DDU, restarted 5x times without installing any, no Load MMdriver application popup, so popped on the 14.12 Omegas, second restart, it came back, im at a loss here :(

5. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Good drivers, everything is good.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Sorted my mouse, for some bizarre reason, its D3DOverrider doing it, if i don't run that, it works fine, which is odd, as they both work happily together on my old rig, but it could be a corrupted install, as im still getting the Load MMdriver Application popup (done a full clean of my 14.9s with DDU, and installed the Omegas), so going to reinstall again, but this time, doing the Windows Updates in small batches.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    FYI for people having blurred image with VSR:

make sure you use a resolution that matches the aspect ratio of your displays native resolution, otherwise you'll have a "stretched" image as a result.

Just an idea / something to check :)
    It occurred to me that this may be the cause of poor image sharpness with VSR...

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Oh and after alt tabbing if the image is all funny. Alt tab again for a quick fix in the resolution. For me ac3 I went through from starting the game and finishing it on saturday I alt tabbed few times got some anomalies at times with the VSR usually alt tabbing fixed things. once I changed reso to smaller and back to the biggest again but else things worked good. I do not remember when was the last time I just played something through on one go. But I have to say this driver is a bliss.

9. r_vi

r_vi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO
    Try custom installing drivers without "Accelerated Video Transcoding"

I once had this problem and if I remember correctly it was the reason why I stopped installing AVT ever since.

Try it out and see if it helps...

10. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Hi ati666,

Unfortunately no, at present the 290 does not suppport VSR at 1600P.

11. ArtemB1988

ArtemB1988 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R7 Series
    @AMDMatt it will be cool to see Catalyst 15.1 Beta as a holiday gift ;)

12. ati666

ati666 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    Can VSR at 1600p resolution support be added on 290x in the next beta/WHQL driver?

13. johnslash

johnslash Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290
    Does anybody use the netflix app on windows 8.1 ? If so, are you guys experiencing black bars on the side ? I've installed the new HDMI drivers thinking it would fix that for me, but nothing changed, I'm using HDMI. (The web version does not have this issue, but I don't want to use it, the app is far better in my point of view). Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  14. Bucephallus

Bucephallus Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9290 DirectCU II OC
    Same card, same problem and back to the 14.4's as well.

15. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    As has already been documented, there will be a 'Phase 2' driver released in the not too distant future in which we intend to improve on the number of gpu's supported and improve the number of available resolutions. As soon as i have any further information to share with you regarding this, i promise you'll hear it from me.

16. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I went absolutely mental when my monitor turned black in the middle of reading a web page. I couldn't believe my frigging eyes.
    And what's worse - not sure about others - when such freeze occurs, there's high chance it will happen very quickly on reboot again, and then again, and again. I think my record is like five times in a row, few seconds to minutes after reboot. I have no idea what might be causing it, but reinstalling the driver usually helps for a few days, or so it seems.

17. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    hey Matt, I have a question.

For about a year now the people who use AMD video cards and have overclocked IPS/PLS monitors (the numbers of which dwarfs those who own any other 1440p or greater display, by a large large margin- witness the single largest thread on overlcok.net is for the QNIX-QX2710 at over 2,000 pages.) Well those people have been asking AMD to please for the love of all that is holy and good in the universe relax the hardcoded pixel clock limit over DVI-D. You see, Nvidia has relaxed the limit for their cards, but AMD has not. So AMD users who wish to overclock their IPS/PLS monitors to 120hz must use a patch to "FIX" the AMD drivers and remove the nonsensical pixel clock limit. This patch breaks DHCP and means we can not play any protected content, woohoo for us right? go red! Actually no, not woohoo for us.

So the question becomes, can you see why we can't have a check box in the drivers to exceed the limit at our own risk (kind of like what you already do in Overdrive? that way we can overlcok our monitors without having to apply a patch that breaks other features of our cards? Honestly it is not like we are anymore a niche group than those who use g-sync monitors (in fact we are quite a large group of gamers, and holy hell AMD has devoted some time and resources to free-sync).

Anyways, think about, pass it on, or ignore it.

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Install the hotfix drivers

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-5001.aspx

19. NoWayOuT

NoWayOuT Guest

GPU:
    AMD 8850M / 2 GB DDR5
    is this working on Dell with AMD M8850 switchable graphics?

20. johnslash

johnslash Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290