So what does the Omega offer me and what about VSR?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ohnooze, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

Please forgive my ignorance but I don't usually keep up with driver info and I'm not as pc savvy as most of you guys here.

I don't want to miss out on any features that come with this new driver so I thought I might ask you guys.

Are there any gameplay features that I need to be aware of other than VSR?

Also I play @ 1440p (native for my monitor) and I was able to up the res in BF4 and WoW but honestly I could not see a difference.

I didn't think about it at the time but I'm curious if I were able to use the VSR option and up my res could I do away with AA and get a boost in FPS?

I don't know, just trying to wrap my head around it all. :)

Thanks for any help.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    VSR should eliminate the need for AA, but performance cost is debatable.
    Games would look better too.

3. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

So it's AA vs higher res conversion...just depends on what's more demanding?

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah, pretty much. SSAA does the same thing. The higher the resolution the lesser need for AA. It all depends on your setup, preferences, etc.

5. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    for 1 a dam good driver + so much to come

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    To enable VSR open CCC, go to "My Digital Flat Panels" and select Properties.

Next to the option to enable GPU scaling (And which mode it should use.) there should now be a tickbox for "Enable virtual super resolution"

Tick that and then click the CCC apply button.

In any game you should now see a resolution above your monitors native res, selecting this will downsample.

It does reduce aliasing but currently there's a few restrictions on which resolutions are available on certain GPU's and GCN 1.0 cards don't get the feature at all but it'll probably be expanded upon in future drivers.

I'd recommend SMAA or maybe something like 2x MSAA if you really want to remove most of the aliasing. (Maybe both.)

7. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

I bumped up my res and tried playing BF4 at ultra and it hurt my fps a good bit.

I'm curious to how much aa I can remove if I up the res without losing picture quality.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most from my card. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  8. Zurvan

Zurvan Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DirectCU II R9290 4G
    I'm not even getting the VSR option :p Did a clean un/install with DDU and still nothing. Does this option come with certain gpu's?

EDIT: ok so VSR is currently only on AMD Radeon R9 295X2/R9 290X/R9 290/R9 285. *Sigh*

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    nor will you with that decepit 7870..

10. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    I'd say remove the AA and if it looks worse than it did at your previous resolution with AA, with worse fps to boot, go back to that and forget about VSR ;)

I can't say I find it very exciting myself I'm afraid, when even the reviews say that you might not notice it at first but if you take a screenshot and zoom in on the grass you'll see it looks better! No thanks, try making the picture look as realistic as TV programmes at 720p instead please and stop wasting my GPU power on stupidly high resolutions which still don't look realistic :thumbdown

11. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

If I bump up the res and turn off aa it looks almost exactly the same as with aa at my native res....but I get a much smoother experience w/o aa and a higher res. :)

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ive noticed there is far less tearing with VSR enabled.

13. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

I have to say I'm really liking these drivers...BF4 and COD:AW have a huge boost for me.

14. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I got the same result with Elite Dangerous gamma