Black Screen (monitor not waking from sleep properly) investigation.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cyclone3d, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Jezrelm

Jezrelm Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7950 W/B
    It happens to me alll the time with an Hd 9750 on 14.11.2 beta. Nothing has worked for me, i update motherboard bios, get a new dvi cable, change dvi outputs, change power settings, etc. I have not tryed to downgrade drivers, and probably i wouldnt gona do that because i play DA:I and the latest beta drivers works like a charm in that game. Im on windows 8.1

My monitor is an Hp compaq LA2405x and have the latest driver installed. I just have learned to live with the issue -_-

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. TUMIK

TUMIK Active Member

GPU:
    RX470
    Zero cool guilty !

3. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    I've always had a problem where if I turn off the monitors via the power button on the front, I cannot turn them on again unless I unplug them from the video card and physically flip the power control switch on the back of the monitor to off. Wait a few seconds and flip that power control switch on again.

I have all my monitors connected via mini Displayport to Displayport. This has been the case with every driver I have ever tried. These monitors are ASUS PA248Q's running on a Win 7 x64 machine.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

So, I tried the DVI-to-HDMI thing some people claimed fixed this issue; didn't go a night without the sleep issue, and the system was hard-locked even (no keyboard lights; monitor didn't come back after hotplug).

Need some more feedback from Windows 7 users. I'm convinced the sleep issue doesn't happen there, but I'm not entirely certain.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    "GPU Scaling" enabled fixes this for me.

6. xx4L0Mxx

xx4L0Mxx Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 970GTX 4G
    Don't know if this will help anyone, but here goes....

I had a Black screen problem on the 14.4 drivers when I only had one R9 290 plugged into a Samsung 46" 6 series TV via HDMI.

It was VERY specific and I could replicate it over and over.

The thing that gave me a Black screen on the Samsung 46" tv was starting Project Cars through STEAM. 8 out of 10 times I tried to start up Project Cars, the splash screen would show and then the TV would go completely black.

My TV went into a " crashed state " is the only way I could describe it, the remote control would do nothing at all, and the only way I could get a picture back on the TV was to physically pull the power cord out of it and then replug it back in.

Oddly, as soon as the power cord was plugged back in and the TV turned back on, the menu screen for Project Cars would be waiting for me and I could play the game and race with no problem at all.

The fix for me was to use a DVI-HDMI cable ( Just the cable, a relatively high end one ) No DVI-HDMI adapters, and I have NEVER suffered from the problem since.

I have tried all drivers released now up to 14.11.2 with no problem at all.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

8. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    with dvi I could bring back the display by replugin the cable at the PC.

After changing to HDMI the monitor stand by bug disappeared.

Thanx for the video, espionage724!

PS:
    aah, did every body deactivate the rapid start option in the energy option section?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  9. Trevonn

Trevonn Guest

GPU:
    HD 7790 2GB @ 1.2/1.6 GHz
    Good news I bring
    http ://gyazo.com/27205214b1f2f9d62f8a35f9bd7e12f0

Remove space after http

10. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    what is this site good for?

11. Trevonn

Trevonn Guest

GPU:
    It's a picture of the of the top ten issues fixed in the new omega drivers the black screen bug is one of them.

12. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    would you please provide the driver link?

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Ah, lucky :p

I've had the screen wake issue occur on my DVI monitor with both a DVI cable and a DVI-to-HDMI cable :/

I recall disabling that option and still having the wake issue when I had an Intel board.

[​IMG]

Cool :)

14. Trevonn

Trevonn Guest

GPU:
    Thank you for posting the image. I hadn't made five posts yet so I couldn't embed it.

15. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    I use direct HDMI input. Maybe thats a difference, AMD High definition Audio Device installed?

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Ah, my monitor only lets me use either DVI or VGA; but maybe I should just give the VGA port a try one day (before Omega arrives anyway).

Yeah I have the HDA Bus driver installed. I usually just disable it since I don't use HDMI anyway, but lately it like re-enabling itself on reboot for some reason.

17. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Resolved Issues:
    (...)
    [406493] Displays that go in to sleep mode intermittently causes the display to not wake up

link

It's now on the release notes for omega 14.12s. Let's see how it goes...

18. Jezrelm

Jezrelm Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7950 W/B
    New omega drivers seems to fix the problem for me :)

19. tiptop

tiptop Member

GPU:
    Sappire RX Vega 56
    Well, it seems my monitor also wakes up correctly now. Though I switched to DP from DVI on 14.11.2 beta when I was trying to fix it, and I am too lazy to connect my DVI cable again. :) One thing I noticed: with DP on 14.11.2 my monitor needed about 10-15 seconds to wake up, on 14.12 it wakes up almost instantly. I really, REALLY hope this annoying bug was fixed once and for all and we never experience it again with new Catalyst versions! :banana:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  20. Mokum

Mokum Guest

GPU:
    x9 290x
    gigabyte 290x 14.12 omega driver and still i have the wakeup problem.
    Never had this problem with my previous sapphire 6870.

Whole pc (windows 7 64bit hangs) when i push the power button for 3 seconds my pc won't shut down either.

When i don't let windows turn of my monitor i haven't had any other issues with this card.