major GPU driver update "Catalyst Omega"

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by deathfrag, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Kaynabx

Kaynabx Guest

GPU:
    HD7970M 2GDDR5
    If this allows me to play CoD Advanced Warfare with High- quality I'd be very happy..
    And, in my opinion :
    "Catalyst Omega also brings support for TressFX Hair 3.0, OpenCL 2.0 and Mantle game capture, streaming and FPS measurement through the Gaming Evolved client."
    means that great improvements are coming guys ! :banana:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yes, because it took AMD 2 months to develop VSR and freesync.

wow, they must have super programmers working for them.

Both of those have been in development long before Nvidia announced their versions.

go back to the nvidia section, you're drunk....

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Hardware faux pas do occur. Just look at all the Haswell and early Broadwell processors, one of the key features of these is TSX, and it turns out it was so badly bugged Intel couldn't resolve it via microcode, they had to completely disable it.

I wonder how many hardware issues are related to other hardware used on the cards? NVIDIA has plenty of issues too, the difference being if it's an issue with AMD people name a big song and dance about it; if the issue is with NVIDIA they either brush it under the carpet or maybe put it down to user error. People didn't even make a big fuss when all the NVIDIA cards were defective and you had to bake them, imagine the outcome of that were AMD? At least NVIDIA were kind enough to add auto-baking to the driver, you know, the one where the fans didn't spin.

I'm looking forward to these drivers, I think they will have been well worth waiting for.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

They were also kind enough to add WHQL-certification to the driver too, just to let you know it was legit :thumbup:

5. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s-major-gpu-driver-update-catalyst-omega.html

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Adaptive Sync was already part of the eDP standard....which is exactly where NVidia got the idea.

7. incneet

incneet Member

GPU:
    RX 5600XT
  8. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I'm happy will be nice to try some of the new features. I think some people sit on forums complaining too much lmao. I don't know about everyone else but amd drivers have been super solid for me for the past couple of years. :)

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This is true, we had that huge thread here, some managed to solve it by changing MB config in bios, PCIe setting like voltage or switching from PCIe 2.0 to 3.0 or back.

And you are right, it was pretty weird I could not come with general conclusion about source and people had to experiment. But we do not know what AMD did in drivers, it could have been that they changed something with power management to be more resilient against those issues from unstable MB settings.

10. Osjur

Osjur Member

GPU:
    Radeon Fury X
    Catalyst Omega... anyone remember the old Omega Drivers which were actually better than the drivers ATI was making back in the old days :D

11. CCoR-

CCoR- Active Member

GPU:
    AMD ASUS Strix RX580 8GB
    Hahah yessir

If I recall, I was running on a 9800 Pro lol
    The Omega site is still up and running btw..

12. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Thats exactly what I thought at first seeing the title - the dude restarted omega drivers development :D

As for FreeSync/G-sync the story goes like:
    - nvidia gets the idea, develops own proprietary hardware to attach to monitors
    - amd sees it and is "wut? but we already do something like that on some laptops, we never though of using it for adaptive sync!" and releases the idea of an open implementation that requires no changes other than firmware on monitors
    - vesa implements amd's idea into the new DP 1.2a standard meaning we soon will get monitors to support it and nvidia will be forced to jump ship too

tl;dr - hats off to nvidia for the idea, hats off for amd for the implementation and making it a royalty free standard

13. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    And my r7 260x as well.

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    u have no idea how free sync and g sync work, do u?

and as for stealing ideas instead being a troll fan boy u should thank gedosato for the idea of downsamplig and of course nvidia just copying the concept

15. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    DSR isn't anything new so AMD isn't copying anything at least not from nVIDIA, Downsampling has been around with GeDoSaTo, SRWE and probably with something else, and DSR smoothness is trash, image looks bad on any higher res no matter what smoothness i use, either it's too sharp and makes the game have more aliasing, or too smooth making it look blurry, the only problem with GeDo is that it doesn't support DX11 yet, but if we compare supported games by GeDo screenshots on any similar res versus DSR, DSR looks plain garbage, not to mention mouse off position on MMOs which can be fixed with GeDo but not with DSR.

Then there's the part DSR causes a much less smooth performance when compared to GeDo and GeDo i can set any resolution versus the predefined DSR res.

TL;DR DSR or downsampling idea wasn't created by nVIDIA, they copied the idea from already exists "SRWE" and "GeDoSaTo" and released a new feature for recent GPUs like it's something amazing they created to sell the new GPU, when it was already available for anyone with any GPU before, you're welcome.

16. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    so, does anyone knows when it will be released?

17. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    December 9th, Tuesday.

18. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I more or less agree, but when you spend over $1500 on 3 launch cards, and they have had issues since day 1, you start to get a tad impatient.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  19. asskicker2

asskicker2 Guest

GPU:
    b
    Got a source on that? :p

20. Alph4Dawg

Alph4Dawg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC
    It's quite funny.DICE scheduled a mysterious announcement for December 9th.