major GPU driver update "Catalyst Omega"

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by deathfrag, Dec 5, 2014.

1. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I hope the CCC GUI has changed!

3. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Another hype eh? AMD marketing team never cease to 'amaze' me.

So, what will be broken this time?

The last time when AMD did a driver 'rewrite', it broke many things.

4. Phuncz

Phuncz Active Member

GPU:
    They did it recently too, with the 14.7 and later drivers rewriting how HDMI and HDCP are handled. For others it meant a misalligned image on their screen, for me it meant 4:4:4 chroma subsampling was no longer working on HDMI-DVI. I'm still waiting for them to fix this, I'm still on 14.4 with my R9 290X.

5. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Its the same as Nvidia cpu overheat drivers? AMD can do the same, so why you think AMD broke many things? I think AMD fix alot of things.

6. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Yeah, not to mention the 2D flickering issue (mostly hardware or VBIOS) where AMD keeps on insisting it can be fixed through drivers.

Well, let refresh our mind a bit. The last time when driver rewrite happen, entire HD2000 to HD4000 was relegated to so called 'LEGACY' support aka totally no driver support. Hell, the second GPU stuck at maximum frequency after booting up system in crossfire mode never got fixed. I feel like kinda idiot for purchasing three HD4850 1GB for triple crossfire last time.

While my friend who purchased two Nvidia 9800GTX+ SLI used it until today with proper dual gpu support for most games.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Look what AMD has done to us :) They announce a large update and all we do is complain.

8. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

9. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Hmm......cause AMD track record of doing thing on schedule and implementation is very bad in first place?

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm not defending AMD at all. They annoy me sometimes as well.

11. Nymphie

Nymphie Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290 DCU2
    Yep I'm also stuck on 14.4, i have the misaligned image on my R9 290, but i wont get my hopes up for AMD to ever fix this issue.

12. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Tbh this looks awesome, looking forward to try it, especially the virtual super resolution. Yes, amd has a longlasting history of breaking things, but if it does break it for you - use older till they (eventually) fix it, surely will work good for some :)

13. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Yeah, there are many example of bad AMD track record.

Example,
    1) Old time AMD delay the launch of 'Barcelona' quad core chip in 2008
    2) The legendary 'TLB' bug which cause extra delay
    3) Claim of 4K video playback support without actual support (no DXVA for 4K h264 etc)
    4) Extreme delay of Bulldozer CPU. If this CPU actually launch at the time according to schedule when Intel launched Nehalem, probably it will be tight fight....too bad it was launched at end of Intel Sandy Bridge era. It only few month away from Ivy Bridge launch thattime!
    5) The delay of 'Fusion' or known as HSA initiative. Mostly empty promise for now. I mean, come on, where is all those HSA apps? In fact, the most sought after A8-7600 APU actually got paper launched in January 2014! Only available for sale on October 2014 >.<
    6) Slow transition to smaller fabrication node. 32nm for quite a long time. 28nm this year?
    Come on, Intel is moving to 14nm soon.

Hopefully AMD GPU division can pull a miracle, otherwise we will stuck with expensive chip from Nvidia without competition. It already happen with CPU segment where the price Intel CPU doesnt drop much for past 3 years >.<

14. Nymphie

Nymphie Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290 DCU2
    Yeah, because it's so fun to use old drivers for your new GFX so you don't get any optimizations or cool features.

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

AMD doesn't say anything: "AMD is slow at releasing updates and fixing issues, clearly they don't care about us"
    AMD announces new things: "It'll be a disappointment, just look at their past track record; they didn't even fix rare-inconsistent-issue-#24"

There really is no pleasing some people :p I really have to wonder why you people keep your AMD hardware if you expect nothing but disappointment from them... Do you like suffering?

In any case, these slides are pretty interesting. I would hops VSR isn't really restricted to those cards though...

16. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    VSR has no much point unless running on latest. I mean I downsample from 4k mass effect 1 and that stresses my 290 to the limits and it aint a new title.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    VSR could be a more efficient way of downsampling.

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I've downsampled a few times on my 7850 without any performance issues. Granted the games I downsampled in weren't the latest-and-greatest, but it was still nice to do.

19. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Heres hoping it doesnt bork radeonpro..

20. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Well, which is why my next purchase will be Nvidia based soon next year.

First time purchasing AMD/ATI product, bought three HD4850 crossfire, early driver support stopped in 2012 with major issue of second and third gpu clock stuck at max.Probably time to upgrade. Let give some chance + benefit of doubt to AMD

Second time purchase, hmm.....let try R7 260X and see. Oh darn, 2D flickering issue, black screen, display resizing issue, hdmi problem >.< VBIOS update! Mantle marketing hype? Battlefield 4 doesnt get it right from get go? EA fault? Negligibly performance improvement. Next game, Thief ~, really? No mantle support from day one even though it is the hyped game for designed using mantle and true audio in first place? Fine, patches downloaded, drivers downloaded. Either AMD or game dev manage to bork the performance with subsequent update. Eg, thief update, mantle and trueaudio available, then driver update, trueaudio is gone, mantle renderer works. What a terrible cooperation of AMD with game studio. Dont get me started with low performance using mantle renderer with R9 285 (luckily i dont purchase this, pity my friend though). Claimed to support 4K H264 video in DXVA, only to inform users that it will support it with next iteration of UVD.