From Bedrooms to Billions.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Veteran, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This is a KS project that looks awesome, i remember all of this as it was happening at the time as im sure some of the longtime gamers on here do also.
    It has many reviews from many of the industry Veterans from the 1980s Golden age of British Home Computing. Its currently in development but its gonna be awesome, its good to hear from the Devs on how they started and what it was like back then, From David Braben to Geoff Crammond to Tony Crowther to Peter Molyneux to Julian "Zzap64" Rignall. Its very interesting if you remember these days or not as its history in the making.
    http://www.frombedroomstobillions.com/film-clips

"From Bedrooms to Billions" – Documentary to celebrate the birth of the UK’s gaming industry
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195082866/from-bedrooms-to-billions

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Although not in the same league, I can remember when Mastertronic was set up by a couple of brothers back in the Spectrum 48K days.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Jeff Minter looks pretty much the same as always

4. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've chatted with the guy who invented the Worms universe a few times, he owned a bar called iBar here until recently. Worms was one of the first games I was addicted to so it's cool for me :D It's a shame it was stolen from under him and he made very little from it. He told me he was creating a new worms that would only be playable in his iBar and it would include princess diana bombs or something and generally all non-PC stuff, shame he lost the bar lol. I got him on FB still maybe he should hear about this..

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Braben, Crammond, Molyneaux good times.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  7. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Talking of Minter, I used to frequent his forums.

In the music section I got to talking about the band Yes and the album Close to the Edge, Jeff was a big fan it turned out and my thread made him buy the album again on download.

It was kind of a moment for me as I grew up on Llamasoft. I always remember it was just before the XB 360 launched as Minter had just finished doing the visual effects for the music player on it.

8. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    I can remember buying magazines like Spectrum User, and slavishly typing in those BASIC games just to see if they would work.
    Often they would have bugs in them which needed ironing out, but it was fun learning.
    That may be why I enjoy playing JetPack Joyride these days, because sideways scrollers were among my favourite type of game.

9. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Listings mags we used to call them :)

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I still have around 200 magazines in the attic from all the popular formats years ago. I also threw out around 10 bin bags worth around 12 years ago.

11. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Thanks Vet I'll take a look at this!

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No Problem, i think it holds a special place for people who actually were playing games back in the Halcyon days. It brings back many treasured memories for me. WTF Happened to Matthew Smith? Has he been on the crack pipe for the last 20 years.

13. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Off at a slight tangent now, but did any of you ever have a crack at writing your own adventures using The Quill, by Gilsoft?

14. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

I did ( a poor effort it was ) and I also made an arcade shooter in H.U.R.G. don't know if anyone remembers that but it was a real powerful piece of software for its day.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Aaaah, will watch this tonight. I have very fond memories of the gaming scene back in the late 80s, early 90s. I remember it was a very tight knit community back in the day, regular sunday meets at the local Amiga club where up to a hundred enthusiasts would meet up every week, with their Amigas in their bags and then show off their latest demos, new games etc. It was brilliant, me and my brother used to go all the time.

Those days are sadly gone. I also remember buying all the popular magazines, I remember travelling on the tram around the entire city until I found a copy of my beloved mag on it's release day. Good times.

16. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    reminds me too of the days when i got my zx81+16Kb ram pac and stick on keyboard bundle from john menzies, back in the early 80's i to used go in the store and type code into the display machines to lock them up lol .. just seemed funny back in the day as the sales people where clueless at first untill we got cought and banned from the shop lol i used to love the £1.99 codemaster range of games heeh

17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    watched this a few weeks ago, excellent show, might plump up for the extended version