Benchmarks: Dragon Age: Inquisition VGA graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2014.

1. BrianJ_64

BrianJ_64 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I've got a tip for people applying the 30fps fix. If you do not intend to play MP and want to for example play SP first you can do the fix through advanced commands in Origin so you do not need to change the shortcut, or even need to run the shortcut.

Go to Origin>Game Properties> "Command line arguments" and apply the Review's fix there.(by only adding the 2 - commands.

And while you're at it, disable Origin in-game for another 4-5FPS improvement on low vRAM gpu's right beneath the command line arguments/

I'm waiting to play this game after my Dualshock 4 controller shipment tomorrow, i tried playing with mouse & keyboard but i just can't get used to it, mainly because i played DA1 and 2 with a controller(a Logitech Fxxx in those times)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Honestly, you can sort of skip 2, or at least read a summary/video (or at least skip the side quests with the repeated maps), only like 3 main plot points in the whole thing, the amount of choices in the keep from 2 is minimal compared to 1.

3. BrianJ_64

BrianJ_64 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    You can sort of skip both, there's a nice article explaining it all, if you don't wanna waste your money on lore only

http://kotaku.com/a-beginners-guide-to-all-things-dragon-age-1658487212

Be aware its quite a long article, but DEFINITELY worth reading if you didn't play 1 or 2, or even if you did(like me) because it helps you refresh your mind.
    Also this article is a general perspective of the game, leaving the choices to the player.

4. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i heard DA 2 was slap in the face to DA fans

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Meh.. I still enjoyed it. It was definitely different from Origins, but honestly, so is Inquisition. Its very different from both games.. some people like it, others dislike it.

I've read plenty of people who've stated that DAI feels rushed.. beautiful vast world with repetitive quests, lacking romance, dull characters, repetitive combat, dumbed down skill tree, lacking tactics, weird tactical mode and control scheme.. all viable complaints honestly.

Some will agree, others will not. I recall a bunch of people talking trash about Origins too at the time.

7. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    At everyone gasping about bad coding/optimization: Even 2X MSAA will absolutely murder your FPS. Just use post process AA. Game looks very, very good on max. Also, it's a great game.

(Other than the PC controls not being so great)

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It's pretty much "oh no EA we can't rate that good".

That and metacritics bipolar 0 5 or 10 scale.

9. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    How is the MSAA implementation in this game? A lot of the MSAA in recent dx11 games has been really poor IQ wise while very heavy performance wise.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    In all honesty i dont like the direction/gameplay of 90% of all RPG to come out since ps3 era, Almsot all of them now resemble hack n slash game masquerading as rpg or Shooters game masquerading as rpgs.

To an rpg will always be FF1~9 and what the old SNES rpgs where like and the likes. AKA turn based RPG and they are pretty much gona only thing left is Turn based stratagy based RPG

very very rare that i can say i like a rpg with the direction they been going in as of late.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

11. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Read what I wrote here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=394961&page=2 Specifically the second post I wrote. It may change the way you're looking at this situation.

12. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Your memory is a bit off. Doom 3 destroyed that and the higher end cards. Back then our expectations were a lot lower as far as frame rate goes. A single 6600gt was lucky to get between 30-40fps at 1280x1024 resolution. When I SLI them they couldn't keep up with Vsync at 60fps. The 6600gt was the second most powerful card on the market at that time. To compare it would be like buying the 970 SLI setup and it won't get more than 60fps at 1080 on games like FC4, ACU, Shadow of Mordor, etc... Which is not even close to the truth. 970's SLI destroy those games at 1080 even with all the eye candy.

Now it was introduced at a good price but the research/technology put into the cards back then wasn't even close to what needs to be done now in order to improve over the previous generations which is what we as pc gamers expect.

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Metacritic is a joke, most of them have not ever buy or play the game, they will critic the game , just because it is not the initial team of Bioware.. Some bad critics from " players " have been posted even before the game was released.

Hoprefully, they are not work on hardware review lol... this will be something funny on a fan war side.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  14. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Hi Hilbert, why didn't you use the correct driver for AMD?
    14.11.2 is the Mantle fix.

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    You have a point indeed, running doom3 maxed couldn't possible yield more than 30-40 avg fps. But 200 dollars? Come on, my man that was quite a cheap card for the performance. Compared to today I mean. It's true it would be blown away by full HD, but full HD was barely becoming mainstream. It would be the equivalent of 4k today.

16. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I own an old Asus G73JH and game this on the laptop. (Radeon 5870 Mobile + Intel I7-720qm with 1.6 GHz base clock)
    I had to reduce the resolution to a measly 720p to play it with an acceptable FPS (>25 in most scenes).
    This game is quite a bit CPU bound. First I had all graphic settings on Low and got around 29 FPS in the benchmark. Then I switched the graphic settings to medium and I still had some 27-28 FPS in the benchmark.

@Hilbert, could you do a quick benchmark with the cpu underclocked? :) Would be great if you could make a cpu-clock scaling benchmark?

17. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    From 1080 to 1440 is a much closer more realistic comparison to going from 1280x1024 to 1920x1080. I agree that cost was awesome, however like I mentioned there's a lot more put into cards now. Building one then was based on making it clocked faster. Building one now you need to consider a multitude of different technologies as well as writing the much improved software applications that come with them now.

Putting it simply, with the 6600gt series or just generally the older cards, was like racing Hondas. When the track gets harder you need a Ferrari and that just might cost a bit more.

18. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Stopped playing Inq.. Gonna wait for a patch or another driver, tearing at 60less FPS during combat is annoying

19. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Looks like you did something wrong with your Mantle test. Other tests show at least some benefit for Mantle>DX11 on almost all systems.

20. Ukdude21

Ukdude21 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 4GB
    I never really completed any of the Dragon age games although they do look good graphically they have just never been able to keep me interested.
    I am glad to see the the Amd 290x is giving similar performance to the Nvidia GTX 980, up until now the Amd 290x has been disappointing in terms of performance in the latest games.
    It does however perform nicely in Shadow of mordor and now this. Come to think of it Far cry 4 and Assassins Creed unity are the only games with poor performance, but ubisoft does optimize for Nvidia so that might have something to do with it plus ACU was a unfinished product when released.