Amd crossfire games list - games without profiles/negative scaling WTF AMD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Oct 14, 2014.

1. amirfoox

amirfoox Member

GPU:
    Indeed, that's the plan ;)

I just hope yasamoka's "You'll be waiting for a long time then" remark would be proven to be inaccurate.

2. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    Dayz mentioned above is cpu limited , crossfire scales in proportion to cpu overclock in my case so i'd say it works.

I LOVE CROSSFIRE , my old pc consisted of 2x 4870x2 and delivered amazing performance in modern game titles (locked at vsync cap Far cry 3 , BF3) , thanks to the guys here in guru3d that helped me pick drivers and setup radeonpro.

Its hard to maintain , energy hungry , hard to fine tune , but once you get those things going , they go STRONG !!

I bought the first 4870x2 second hand for 70euros coupled with EK waterblock , a year later i bought the second one for 60 euros with EK waterblock.

When i switched to single GTX680 , i was DEEPLY dissapointed and eventually came back to cf (amd hd 7990))

Single gpu is the way to go when you have no time to fiddle with cf issues.

If you like fine tuning your pc then cf is exotic like a rotary engine..

3. djsebfr

djsebfr Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 950

Hi, how can u play FC4 with a ratio >>>> 16/9 please ?

I playing on 2560x1080 but with a ratio of 16/7, so it's a 1080p stretched, it's like call of duty, we haven't a fix for flawless widescreen :-(

Thanks

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Change aspect ratio to 16:9 in video settings.

5. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    Yeah, sucks that 4K is only tentatively viable, and then only if the game your playing happens to be supported at release. Like you, I enjoy playing the games that are being played by my friends at release, not a month or two later.

This is why I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and get a pair of 980s. If SLI works, great. If not, I'll still get OK performance. I'm only going for 1440p, however.

Anyway, red or green, there are issues with some games no matter what your configuration. Maybe DX12 will put us in a better spot.

6. amirfoox

amirfoox Member

GPU:
    Oh, I hear ya. I'm so very tempted to just go all the way with 980 SLI like you, but two of these babies are going higher than my current budget.

I could just go all the way and buy them, but the only reason I'm reluctant to do so is because the minute I'll purchase the very top high end now, I just know that a few short months later they will either be 30%-40% cheaper or a much better hardware will be released which would really frustrate me. There's just no end to this.

At the very least I need this to be either cost effective or something new and exciting that I'll feel is a real major step forward. The 970/980 kinda feel to me like a relatively unrevolutionary, albeit efficient, upgrade.

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i'm late to the party but...

realtime 3d game engines are complex monsters... given that multigpu currently works (almost always) by alternating frames, what do you think will happen if you need to do something such as motion blur that relies on the previous frame? you have to swap data between gpus, losing the scaling battle already

the problem is how advanced graphics are, not how old technology is

what we may need is some kind of low level hardware stitching, like intel did with the first quadcores, they were actually 2 dualcore cpus stitched together, this could solve the problem of having to mirror the vram for example

it's also the extra pain on development, it's not like consoles are multigpu, while pc will get faster gpus over time

is it really advertised? they cant predict future games, & it's not like hundreds dont already work great... the same happens to single gpus or single games or mac users or linux users or wii users... the nature of not having a single exclusive platform (obviously it's much more annoying & with a larger frequency to multigpu, especially CF users, but still)

as for consumers... no, i do not like this philosophy, consumers should not be mindless robots oblivious to at least a basic appreciation of how complex these luxury entertainment items are, how many people with families worked on them, how they can be slaves in chinese factories assembling hardware or slaves in the office trying to push LAnoire out because the boss said so, how far we've come in such a short time with mainstream 3d textured graphics, how there will be something faster at the same price or cheaper if they are patient, well you get the picture

it's also lazy for a consumer to think higher price is better since we're not talking about vegetables per pound, any company can put any price that is different from another company with the same product

a consumer should also be very well aware of the fact that there are diminishing returns, quality does not scale linearly with price, less units sold/produced means higher cost per unit, & especially that there is no 'best' product for anything... only a 'best for you with your needs & budget' product (i keep seeing users for just about everything asking 'what's the best monitor' or 'what's the best cpu', really? we all know these people are not going to spend $5,000 on an eizo monitor or 16core xeon cpu that will go underutilized)

anyway i just wish everyone on all sides to have respect & critical thinking, maybe some transparency with how products work as well, instead of constant fairy tale marketing

8. amirfoox

amirfoox Member

GPU:
    Chinese workers? Huh? Do you actually buy your carrots based on how the farm workers were treated? Do you even care with every day to day purchase in the supermarket?

But I digress - technology is not a carrot, of course. That's why I was researching before purchasing, as do most PC consumers. However, adding a second GPU (or purchasing a pricey multi-GPU card) really is advertised as 'just add water' solution for 4K on review sites and highlighted in Nvidia's and AMD's websites. Not as a niche exotic tech, but as the ultimate killer solution. Like I kept repeating over and over, only complaints from actual gamers seem to tell the whole picture, since review sites rarely dedicate a paragraph about this issue or they just review older titles. A consumer cannot be aware of this issue if no one actually talks about it.

This is just not a case of 'Diminishing returns', either. If I was talking about adding a third, a fourth or a tenth GPU, then I could agree with that claim.

When people want the 'best', they of course mean for the consumer, not a corporate solution. It doesn't matter if they mean a 'best for the money' cost effective solution or a 'give the no holds barred bestestestest evar!!11' waste of money, they want something that works. Waiting for weeks to months for a solution to work for almost each and every game release is not something which I consider viable.

But you eventually do admit that there really is a "fairy tale marketing" and there is a certain lack of transparency to the end consumer, and that's exactly the right tree that I was barking at all along :)

9. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Dota 2 has zero scaling

10. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I'm pretty much done with multi gpu as there's to many issues with it. I'm planning to upgrade to whatever comes next for AMD or Nvidia. Planning to go back to Nvidia as many games starting to use Nvidia gameworks

11. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    it's possible that I might go with an absolutely top of the line next titan as a single card for 4k. I seriously hope it will be enough for 60fps in all but the best dx11 looking games. I kinda would be ok with 6gb vram don't feel like I need 12.

It will need to match or get close to 295x2 considering it'll probably cost £1200 tho!

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I would be amazed if next titan is double 290x. I can see it being way faster but not that fast. Probably the next after that will do it tho. titan 3 or whatever and equivalent from amd.

13. Gapster

Gapster Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire R9 290x Tri-x
    Heroes of the storm

It would be nice if AMD create a CFX profile for "Heroes of the storm", AFR friendly cause stutters and sometimes game just freeze.

14. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Asseto corsa and Rfactor 2. Both devs keep pointing fingers for the failed performance at you guys.

15. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    I get negative crossfire scaling with H1Z1 with my two 7950s, runs WORSE (albeit just slightly) than in windowed mode with only one. I tried it with Crossfire set to default mode, afr friendly, AND with the Planetside 2 profile and all 3 options have the same effect.

Hope this gets resolved. Can't wait for the 390x to come out so I can get rid of these xfire problems.

16. blackdog62

blackdog62 Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte R9 290X
    Just wondering how this has been going?

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Try using the SC2*.exe profile. It is the same engine.

18. Roadking01

Roadking01 Guest

GPU:
    2 Sapphire TRI-x R9 290
    Originally Posted by AMDMatt View Post
    Indeed and thank you guys, this is actually helpful. I can now pass this list of games here onto the driver guys. Old games are unlikely to see major changes, but getting support out for newer games is definitely a priority.Please keep adding to the list, i will keep an eye on the thread.

No offense intended but we can see how well that is working. Example Witcher 3. How long has that game been a mess with crossfire?

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I guess that AMDMatt do his part and he printed and delivered the list to driver team.

Some times later they run out of toilet paper and you know AMD has also a "green"side: the list was "recycled".

:D

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If this is true, then a lot of things come into perspective. Still bad though.