Corning Says Gorilla Glass 4 Its Strongest Glass Yet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Corning today announced Gorilla Glass 4 for mobile devices. Corning said its goal with Gorilla Glass 4 was to address consumers' biggest complaint: screens that crack when dropped. The company devel...

Corning Says Gorilla Glass 4 Its Strongest Glass Yet

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    is that the galaxy S6 hype train i hear starting up? :p

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well what else should they say besides it's better than the last? 'Hey, we made a new gorilla glass, but it's worse than the one before!' :rolleyes:

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Why do i think that we will still see people braking the glass. There will always be someone who will manage to outdo themselves and find a flaw. :D

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm pretty sure the reason the glass breaks so easily is because phones are dropped on the corners or sides. This is far more likely to fracture the glass than keeping the glass parallel to the ground and slamming it against a perfectly flat "simulated" ground. If they want a convincing test, they'd show us the results of Ms. Klutz instead of that machine, speaking of which, looks insanely complicated for something designed to cause accidents.

6. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    OK Mr. Smart guy.. Aside from them mentioning it was rough surfaces that broke the phones the most. Why did the glass break on the other phones during the exact same test? Being since you're so smart and should work for these guys doing their tests. Ya know, since they never thought to drop test these phones any other way.. You should go apply and let them know they're doing it wrong. So why did the other phones glass break and the Gorilla glass phones didn't?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You're missing the point... Sure, when facing it parallel to the ground, there probably is a higher chance of the glass shattering on a rough surface. But how often is a phone actually dropped like that? Many phones shatter on smooth surfaces too. I'm not saying Corning didn't make more durable glass, but the glass shatters due to accidents of fumbling fingers, not via perfectly aligned machines designed to slam things to the ground. If you want a real testament to your product, you involve real-world scenarios proven to consistently cause problems.

On a side note, earlier versions of gorilla glass have proven to be very durable. You could bend them, smash them, or slash them and they would remain in-tact. The glass has a lot of flexibility to damage, but when you have the glass strongly glued down along the entire border, it can't compensate for inflicted damage. I figure if there were less glue (in other words, more places where the glass can flex if the phone's frame gets damaged) then there would be less shattered screens.

8. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    i have craked my first corning gorilla glass (first version) digitizer some days ago, i has fall down like 9999999999 times, the only difference this time was that it fall parallel to the concrete.. i even use a rubber case.. what i'm trying to say is that this technology is really effective ad i think that the way they are testing it its ok... my poor Atrix 4G :(

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think they should give phones thrusters... that way if you drop it the phone lands softly.

Gotta think of the future.

: D

10. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I need bullet-proof glass for my phones. They crack so easily, i'm not satisfied with corning technology:(

11. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Of course it's better than gorilla glass three, hence the reason to make it...

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    For some reason, it seemed like the phone with the new glass in it bounced like a rubber ball compared to the one with GG3 in it. I'm wondering if they made it so the glass was sunken in and couldn't actually get hit directly.

13. koosjebram

koosjebram Member

GPU:
    MSI 660GT OC
    That's what they like you to believe.

(lol)

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why are you so offended by his statement? Are you employed by Corning or something?

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Best idea ever.

Hear that Corning? Time to bring in NASA. All that Mars Rover tech research is about to finally pay off.

Your pants must be too tight.