4k GPU advice for FC4

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TeamGreen, Nov 19, 2014.

1. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Hey guys,

First post here but long time visitor to guru3d.com.

I am currently running an Asus 780 ti which as been great with my Asus 4k monitor. Able to pump out 60+ FPS on BF4 on Medium no AA..

I just installed and loaded up Far Cry 4, now the headache begins haha... Btw I am running 344.75 and all the latest patches/driver. I set the res to 4k and everything to LOW no AA or any eye candy and avg around 40-45 FPS there abouts. Obviously this is pretty piss poor..

Apart from future patches etc this is where I need some advice. Bottom-line is I need more GPU HorsePower.. I have the option off selling my Ti and buying a 980 strix from Asus, which would prob only give my 5+ FPS more but has the added advantage of 4gb of VRAM.. Or my friend is willing to sell me his Asus 780 ti for around $450-500 Australian dollars, but the downside is obviously only 3gb of VRAM..

In you're opinion what is the best option or perhaps you have a better one?

Cheers,
    TeamGrean

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I'd buy your friend's 780Ti and SLI them, as they would be faster in UHD than one GTX 980. Check out Hilbert's 980 SLI review and see if that helps in your decision on what to do for UHD gaming.

3. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    run 2560x1440
    not much difference

4k is too intense for current games, because not optimized. pretty much need crossfire or sli top tier cards to run games at 4k

4. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Cheers guys,

I agree 2 Ti's would have heaps more performance. I'm just worried with only 3gb of VRAM and running at 4k will my be bottle necking the system in the immediate future? Like FC4 already uses 3+gb

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Not really heaps more, but they would be faster. Just saying that your best bet with 4K is SLI whether you buy your friend's 780TI or get a 980.

6. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    True, as u say one 980 won't be much more than 5% better so would have to SLI which would be very expensive... I think I will get that 2nd Ti and hope to be able to play FC4 above 40 Fps hahaha

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You should be able to pull higher than 40 FPS. I myself just purchased a UHD monitor (Acer XB280HK) and honestly, you'd have to be crazy to want to use a UHD monitor with one card unless you had something like a Titan Z.

8. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Sorry guys to hijck thread, but somehow relevant question,

Is 2560x1440 is "OK" image quality on a 4K monitor ? or looks bad ? how much percent "uglier" than the native 4K on the 4K monitors ?

I always see 1600x900 (the few times I tried for fun lol) crap on 1080p monitor.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I just tried 2560x1440. It should work for games, but on the desktop it really messed things up. I couldn't close some apps becease it made them too large. Honestly scaling as a whole still sucks in Windows with 4k. Despite the updates, and as much as people say 4k scaling is fixed/works in Windows 8.1 I say they're wrong. I found scaling using my GPUs instead of the windows options looks way better in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE

11. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Hey guys, quick update, so I have installed the second 780 Ti.

Having issues though, got sli bridge on, latest clean install of 344.75 with SLI turned on in the control panel..

I am only getting between 12,100 and 12,900 on 3dmark 99% of the time, I feel this is too low. On one occasion after a fresh graphics driver install I got 15,500 but now it is still back to 12,---...

BF4 is laggy and stuttering like crazy on Ultra no AA and FC4 still struggles to maintain 45fps on low...

Any ideas?

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    What does GPU-Z say?

13. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Put 2 of the Ti's in my mates PC and he got 16,500.

I have now done a full reformatt and getting between 15,100-,15,800.

Does this sound alright, will try some games when they finish installing..

14. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    The 3gb is already a limiting factor - in several games (like unity, watch dogs etc), i cant use real AA, due to vram being maxed out, thus stuttering like a mofo if i do use real AA. And i only use 1440p.

That said, if you are ok with medium texture quality and no AA, or only fxaa/smaa, then 2x 780's would provide very good performance at 4k.

15. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Guys it ended up being shadowplay being on the background!

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    ShadowPlay can be a bit of a resource hog at times. I'm glad you figured out the issues.

17. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Thanks mate,

Out of interest though, i only score 15,500 where as I put the 2 cards in my mates system which is identical apart from PSU, Case, and I have a better SSD and he gets 16,500...

Any thoughts?

18. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Are you talking about 3DMark scores? Do you and your friend overclock at all, or run the same drivers? As overclocking and different driver versions could account for the difference in scores.

19. TeamGreen

TeamGreen Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti
    i have 4770k he has 4770, everything run at stock although he might be running at 4ghz cpu which shouldnt account large difference. Same drivers aswell.

Yep 3dmark firestrike

20. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If he has a slight OC that could account for the difference.