Question Gtx 970 G1 noise, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Shifiro, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Shifiro

Shifiro Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia gtx 970 G1 Gaming
    Hi, i've recently bought a gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming. I've never had an x70 series before, i always have had a x60, always from gigabyte.
    I'm worried about all the thing with the coil whine, and my GPU does a noise, that the others one i've owned didn't do. I've heard coil whine videos and doesn't fix too much with my noise, i think, so i want to know if there is a problem with my graphic card of if it is a normal sound.

In the video, at the beggining the noise is there and by the minute 0:06 i quit from the game and it dissapears, then i put the game again and the sound returns. The game is Rome 2 total war, but the noise sound with others games, but it sounds lower. (I can't put the video here, so i add the last words to search on youtube).

watch?v=bYpcU-MElIA

Thank you and sorry about my english.

2. garikfox

garikfox Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    All GTX 970's have some coil noise, some are louder then others, mine does it too when at full load but you cant hear it unless you put your ear next to the Video Card.

It's just the nature of the 970's they all have it.

The coil noise doesnt hurt anything, doesnt effect stability and doesnt have a effect on durability.

3. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i'm curious, do the 980's suffer from coil whine?

4. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    sorry I don't mean to offend anyone although the noise you hear is normal its not a fault at all most coils if not all can make the coil noise under certain conditions, loads ect, its just a fact they can resonate, (electrical or mechanical things can resonate),then people who think they know what they going on about think coil noise means the cards faulty.. just cluess info in my books.

its people whine about the coil noise if anything, although after saying that if the noise is loud and annoying I would have the product replaced.

they try several way to reduce the noise by coating and wrapping the coils with tape ect.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

5. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    Gigabyte 980 G1 here, coil whine there if high Framerate (~1300-3000fps)
    or high GPU-Load, but mostly when the Screen has more bright parts in the
    scene (Explosions, Lightning, Experimental-MIRV launcher in downsampled FO3)

6. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

its all good man. i'm abit deaf anyways... prolly wont hear **** haha

7. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Most of the coil whine I hear are from games that generate high fps 400+, for others not so much.

If you just got the card try running some benchmarks or stress test for a while and see if that gets rid of some. (Its normal, especially at higher frequencies) There are some coil whine that goes down over time, theres some that stays for the life of the card. If it doesn't bother you theres no need to worry. I had a MSI 770 which would slightly whine during high fps simple games (1,000+fps) and other games, but over a closed case and headphones (open backs) it didn't really bother me.

You don't have to worry, theres nothing wrong with your card. But if it really really bothers you and you can't stand it then return/exchange/replace the card. You're the one paying for it and if it doesn't satisfy you then get it replaced. Some coil whine is worse than yours so just remember your replacement may/may not have it worse.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    depending on the frequency the coils resonate will depend on if the human ear can hear it I guess.