27" 5K Dell UP2715K in December at less than $2000 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Phuncz

Phuncz Active Member

GPU:
    I've seen this panel in action on the new iMac 27" Retina, it's expected to be the same panel. You can literally look at a 10cm distance and not see any pixels. It's mind-boggling. You won't need to sit far away from a screen like this.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Looks nice, I wish they made a 30'' version...

4. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    Complete pointless.
    Anything with a dot pitch greater than .25 is pure pointless complete and utter pointless.
    This 5k even 4k is only worth it if your screens bigger than 50 , 60 "
    Yet they keep on making them, when will this stupidity end...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    BUT PIXELS! Cool display nothing can drive it tho properly but that is a moot point when you got that much money to spend.

6. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    This is ridiculous. At this resolution you might as well just buy an empty picture frame and look at reality - you wont be able to tell any difference.

Waste of money! :D

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How is a .25 dot pitch enough for a PC monitor? You stuck in 2006?

8. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    we have not got to point where 1x gpu can drive a 4k panel 60fps and now we have 5k. NVidia and Amd have really got to get a move on.

9. R41DZ3R0

R41DZ3R0 Guest

GPU:
    797o xfire
    have u seen it yet? if not, please dont post such comment as this.. and dont compare past ...technology evolves... sometime faster than we think

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh 5K monitors, more specifically this monitor, isn't really made for gaming. It's for video editing. You get native 4K for the content and the additional resolution for the interface of the application you're editing with.

11. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    Back in 2006, not even 2 x 8800 Ultra would run that awful game, Crysis, on a 30" monitor with all specs cranked up. It doesn't mean it wasn't a great card, though.
    The thing is that on every given generation of games/monitors, it probably doesn't make sense, from a business perspective, to create a single card powerful enough to run everything on maxed settings. Right now, this theoretical card wouldn't sell enough, because there are just not enough people running 4k, or 5k monitors.
    Having said that, of course I want nVidia and AMD to move forward as fast as they can but, realistically speaking, there is just no current need for a card more powerful than a 980GTX.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  12. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Um what? Sit far away? Unless its over 300 PPI you CAN indeed see pixels. Why would you ever need to sit far away?

13. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Why would it be worthless?

14. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    Pointless.
    Ive been using a 30" dell for 8 years and the size of the dot pitch has been fine.
    I see zero reason to increase it yet we see 24" screens with Pixel Pitch of 0.137 mm
    That's just stupid and completely unnecessary.
    Here is a screen shot of a game with 2560x1600 screen res and I would like to know why anyone feels the need to increase it.
    http://www.freeleacher.webspace.virginmedia.com/9.jpg

Pls tell me what`s wrong with the detail of this image im interested to here what you have to say

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    just wondering.. what kind of connection currently supports this so called 5k? displayport? and what GPU exactly, current cards state they can handle a maximum of 4096x2160 over dp, is there something Im missing?

btw I wish we the pc master race were blessed with top notch tech like this more often, I mean, there are phones with more resolution than my damn rig wtf?

maybe we need 2 year contracts with our gaming rigs too, seems to do wonders to smartphone tech lol

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The monitor has 2 displayport connections in order to run at a 5k resolution, but if you only use one you're limited to UHD.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^in that case I guess it will require a special driver to do its magic, haven't heard anything practical coming from this panel yet

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Human vision system can detect a misalignment of 2 parallel lines up to two arcseconds in resolution which is equivalent to 1800PPD @ 10 inches. If you want to completely remove aliasing you need to go far above 4K resolution. Obviously there are diminishing returns with image quality, but there is no reason not to shoot for 4K, especially with larger screens.

Also that screenshot is a terrible example of resolution, nearly all the improvements with increased resolution are shown with lines, the entire background is blurred.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I haven't either. I just got information from Dell's website as it's already on there.

20. ExiZ

ExiZ Guest

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB SLI
    I was at the Dell briefing center in the UK yesterday. The 34" 4k panel was nice, but even that was hard to see with , the icons were so small you'd have to have your face up against the screen to use it, and the 28" version was just ridiculous for 4k. Lets be honest, Mac's pixel double to account for the high res, you never actually use native 5k on the new 5k imac, Windows display scaling is just not that great. The best monitor by a country mile they had on show was the 3415w, 21:9 3440 x 1440 curved. Its far and away better in my opinion, and suggested pricing was £700 to me, whereas the 4k 34" sits over £2000.

In my humble opinion, to run 100% dpi, native scaling at 4k, you'd need a 40" screen. Otherwise its extra pixels for the sake of it, and slower framerates.