Issue With Friend's PC That WE Really Need Help With

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DirtyDan, Nov 10, 2014.

1. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    My friend's pc is running windows 7 x64 and its a newer pc. He can't launch x64 games. Any x64 games crash instantly on loading up. Running from the install dir causes a "Fatal Error. Steam Must Be Running to Play" and when he launches from Steam they just crash. I noticed Advanced Warfare booted up the splash but it crashed and it didnt even create a default config.cfg in the players2 folder. There are dumps but with nothing of importance in them. He has removed and re installed drivers. installed all redists. completely uninstalled steam and the games and cleaned his registry with RevoUninstaller. We have no clue what is causing this. Hes using an AMD gpu and cpu. Any ideas guys? he really doesnt wanna have to nuke it. he also has all important windows updates. We have tried Advanced Warfare and Shadow of Mordor and Ethan Carter.

2. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    Event log will provide you with info probably. If not standard tests, memtest, prime to check for stability. If everything is fine prolly is OS

3. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
  4. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    sounds like nuking is the only way sadly .. it could also be direct x, visual c+

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Trying uninstalling steam and re installing it . That worked for me in the past. Otherwise try installing Windows 7 without reformatting. It might just re install any missing files. Otherwise,you will have to reformat and re install windows..

6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Is he using any monitoring software like MSI Afterburner at all? I had a similar problem when I ran two AMD 7970Ghz ED cards.

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Is it a legit copy of windows and does he have a disc? If so I would try reinstalling the OS as that sounds like the most likely culprit.

8. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    There is a repair option with Windows 7 if you have the disc or can burn one. Just make sure you have your key safely stored before you do anything drastic.

It's odd that you specify it's peculiar to 64-bit games. Sorry for asking the dumb question but you know what it's like with computers, you have to start with the obvious - is it definitely Windows 64-bit? You can check by looking at the System Properties. Should say if it's 64-bit.

Failing that, some sort of memory fault that only triggers with larger memory addressing? Seems unlikely but I've heard weirder things.

A quick search turns up this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tly-with/50a721df-b2b0-409c-96fa-e6c4d68d2759

There are a number of people who have had the same issue as you and several found things that fixed it for them. If nothing else, it's a handy list of things to try. To me it sounds like some sort of driver issue, triggering only when 64 bit software starts up, a DX9 issue for example.

9. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    We ended up nuking it and it solved the problem, thanks!!!

10. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    Tell him not to install cheat scripts next time.