Holiday to New York - Advice please!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anfield82, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Hi everyone,

I have a 10 day trip to New York booked in February of next year and could definitely do with a bit of advice.

I know it's going to be very cold but I'm not quite sure what clothing to buy to be honest especially shoes. Should I buy walking boots that can take a beating? I plan on visiting as much as possible so walking will probably take up a lot of my time.

I have looked at the 7 day tourist pass which seems like a good deal.

Any other general advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Walking shoes would be a good idea but you may want to bring boots in case of snow.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    New York is an awesome place to go!

Make sure you go to Wo Hop, famous Chinese food! :D

4. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Thanks guys,

I was thinking of taking boots too just in case of snow, does it often snow in February?

I'm planning on eating a lot of food haha

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yes, it does!

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    dont bother with The Empire State building unless youre prepared to spend 60-90 mins in a queue and when you get up there its pretty damn cold. We went at night, had a bad hangover from drinking with some Mexicans the night before lol. Good times

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah, if you really want a view check out the GE building (30 Rockefeller), less queues, plus you'll get to see the empire state.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you do buy walking shoes or boots, remember to wear them in before you go (go for a short walk in them several times, then some longer walks). You don't want to wear them for the first time when you get there, and end up with blisters!

9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Buy Long Johns and a Toque.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Get the most comprehensive travel insurance and health insurance you can.

Don't skimp on this. I heard stories of people being picked up by an Ambulance and being charged for it because the unconscious person didn't consult with their 'insurance approved' Doctor before being taken to a hospital. Yes, I know they were unconscious and yes I know that's the stupidest thing ever, but that's the American healthcare system: run by shareholders.

I've been there many times for B & P, Manhattan twice and it's an awesome town - but all times I had super duper insurance because I'll be damned if I'll be left by the side of the road bleeding to death.

The servings in restaurants are too large and have too much sugar and salt in them, you have been warned: be prepared to be offered a doggiebag wherever you go because you won't finish what you've been served. I've found that even salads have a slight sweetness too them with dressings. Lots of over-the-top servings all round, it's quite crazy.

Never tip anyone - there is no need because everyone thinks they are going to get a tip and therefore treats you nice anyway.

Don't crack any jokes at the airport at all and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir' to any questions asked. For example: If asked "Any fruit or vegetables?" don't reply "Oh yes, I'll have a pound of potatoes please!" because they will just deport yo ass to the 'smart-ass' section of the airport and have someone with rubber gloves pay you a visit. That's how they play in America: everybody is king or queen of their own little pathetic anthill and they make sure you know it. It's a silly game and you gotta play it if you want to get anything.

Taxi drivers are as useless there as they are here, so if you don't know where you are going, don't expect them to.

Take lots of condoms because you have an accent which melts all women into putty. I remember this one time in Boston I was in an elevator and was going through the change in my pocket to buy a coke from the machine. I needed some help with the denominations of the coins and turned to the two young ladies in the elevator with me and politely asked for help. The moment they heard me speak their eyes lit up as if I just pulled up in a Ferrari and got out swinging a 10 foot dick.

Anything else....I guess smile a lot and be really polite and courteous, more than you normally would be...avoid puns, sarcasm and irony - they just don't go for those types of humour and it's possible that people may get insulted, although highly unlikely.

11. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    lmao If you do that don't ever go to the same place twice to eat as they will spit in your food.I really hope most of that was tongue in cheek as it doesn't translate well to print so it's hard to tell.

12. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    A rape alarm....

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Plenty of restaurants in NY, no need to visit the same place twice.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    A Gun....

15. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Wow what an ass, they make minimum wage so they depend on tips to feed their families.

Fyi no-one is going to leave you dying on the street because you don't have insurance.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    they serve 5,000 people a year - one ass is a drop in the ocean of butts

17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    You're right they won't leave you dying but a big bill is guaranteed so the insurance advice is actually pretty good.I honestly didn't think he was serious about the tipping thing. :3eyes:

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Deadly serious, they should get paid more, not get paid less because some Muppet at some point in the past came up with the daft idea about tipping someone so he could pay his staff less money.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

19. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    You do realize that the cost of your meal would go up to compensate for the rise in wages so it would cost the same as tipping?So that leaves you as cheap person taking advantage of the situation as it stands.I won't thread crap in the op's thread anymore but you get my point.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Given the frequency of me eating in USA, it really doesn't concern me.

However, taking your point, if everyone over-tipped by 30%, does this mean my meal is 30% less than normal?

I got another one for you: luggage levies. They say the reason for charging an additional %/£/$/€ w/e for each kilo over the allotted limit is because of the cost of fuel...so riddle me this...

If I get on the plane last, and ask how many people boarded and what their total weight of luggage was and did a simple total weight / passenger count, and the sum worked out that everyone on board didn't use their allotment of weight by 25KG, does that mean me (being the last to board) can ADD 25KG in luggage weight? OR does it mean they give everyone on board a discount on their airfare for not using the total weight limitation.

Now, you really need to think about this next time you board a plane or even, just pack a suitcase.

Y'see, arguing with me on a point of logic won't work in a belief-based argument.

You want to tip people, I don't - and it's not rationalisation, it's the unjustified logic behind the action which preceded it.