The Official Buttkicker thread..

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by goat1, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Pic of the inside of the NU3000DSP.

[​IMG]

Fan shroud removed to show a shot of the miniature leaf blower they ship these out with.

[​IMG]

The replacement fan is way quieter. I can't hear it over the ambient noise in the room and I didn't even need to use the resistors. Speaking of which, I may as well use them in my computer to quiet of couple of those fans down.

I cut the connector off of the stock fan (it was a 2 pin) and put it on the replacement fan which came with a 3 pin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats really good if there isnt a big difference in CFM.
    Too low CFM and the amplifiers output stage could get a bit too warm.
    I'm optimistic as long as there isnt a huge difference in CFM.

Be very sure to refit the black air guide.
    Cheers for the piccys of the inside too.

Forgot to say, the fan orientation is very important.
    It must be blowing inside the case not out of it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    It has a lower CFM for sure, but I don't think that it's too much lower. The shroud- yes, I did put it back on and I made sure the fan was pointing inward. The amp is in a well ventilated area and even has a good half inch of space beneath it due to how it fits on my little end table. I think it'll be fine.

4. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Current setup:

[​IMG]

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    :)
    Whats the rounded thing in the middle?
    It must be an amp or audio switch but I've not seen one that shape.

6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I used a random photo for it in my diagram, but here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001F347K/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

It's a very basic audio switcher. No circuitry inside. Push any 2 (or more) switches in and those paths are linked. It can do any combination you want. 5 in to 1 out, 2 in to 4 out, etc. I had made my own 2 in, 2 out (which was neat, and a fun experience) but I have to give a nod to the cheapness and simplicity of this device.

Edit: Now that I have this amp I wish I hadn't bought the cheapo powered speakers that I did. I ought to replace these Genius speakers with a pair of passive speakers of higher quality.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  8. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Well, I played a few hours of games last night and the air coming out of the front of the amp never got any hotter than what it was when I first turned it on. It was just the same room temperature air coming out. I think the quieter fan will do the trick. :)

As for the shaking effect: I have it completely locked in. Now I just have to forget that there is a device shaking my chair and everything will be perfect. A few times last night I forgot that there was this thing shaking me, and instead just experienced a predator missile multikilling me and my teammates rather than just seeing it. What a feeling.

Edit: The thing that kills immersion for me is when people turn their microphones on and off. Every single time it shakes my chair. I keep telling them to knock it off... why turn your mic on and off every 20 seconds? lol

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Great to see you have it set up the way you want it. I'm curious though,...How much better can you get yours set up than the stock Gamer 2? I get all the shaking etc. I want with the regular Gamer 2 transducer,amp etc. Do you use yours for anything other than gaming?

10. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I haven't had an opportunity to do anything other than gaming with it. What I get with this setup is flexibility. I don't have a "Gamer 2" setup... I have an amp, and a tactile transducer. At some point I'll also run some speakers on this amp, and maybe a shaker for the couch as well.

My setup wouldn't work with the Gamer 2 amp anyway. There is no way that it would have the amount of gain that I need when I use my Astro Mixamp.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Glad you have decent immersion, job done :D

apart from the microphones

12. RamsesGR

RamsesGR Guest

GPU:
    MSI 780Ti FrozR - SLI
    Greetings guys!

I know it sometimes sucks to dig up threads so old but since I am about to buy a Buttkicker I was wondering if there are any experts around that could give me some insight on some queries...

First of all, I can't really seem to find the Buttkicker Gamer2 anywhere... Like.. 0 availability or something.. I knew that the availability was always an issue when coming to Buttkicker but I never quite expected this...

Since, I can't really find Buttkicker Gamer2, I was thinking of going for the Wireless Kit instead that I can find aroudn the web in various stores. My question though is: "Will i be able to mount it on the fly to my couch and to my DESK CHAIR? I can't really see a way to properly do that on my chair since there is no clamp.

Also.. Is the wireless kit "better" than the gamer2 edition? I noticed that the power output is a bit higher but since I am no expert in this I couldn't really tell if that really is a big difference.

Thanks a lot for your time peeps

13. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    When I bought mine they were sold out everywhere as well. I called the company and they sold me just the shaking unit (no amp) for $50 or so?(it was years ago- I can't remember). Then I just used my own amp.

I wouldn't try to mount one that doesn't have the clamp to a computer chair.