Shadows Of Mordor Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by wrathloki, Sep 30, 2014.

1. NJCermak

NJCermak Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX970
    There may be a chance that I'm CPU limited as opposed to you (since you do have a slightly better CPU? Does hyper-threading make a noticeable difference in Mordor?) I'm clocked at 4.4GHz, what are you at? I'm not sure if rain/motion blur puts more of a strain on CPU or if it's still mainly processed via the GPU.

With Core temp add-on I notice only 1 core being utilized completely and a second core levitating around the 50% usage zone with the others at a very low usage. And if I change the flip queue size from default 3 to 4 my FPS does decrease slightly. I don't know.

Lol. Too many variables. I'll just make myself content with no motion blur if/until more optimizations are made via the driver/game patch. :pc1:

[EDIT]
    Actually, you know what? I don't know why I didn't even consider that I'm downsampling 150% resolution. Are you at 1080p?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    I've just run it @ 1080p with 150% res, with hyperthreading off @ 4.4 Ghz. My gpu usage drops to 65% on each card with those settings, but it's basically the same on both cards. GPU-Z 0.8.0?

3. NJCermak

NJCermak Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX970
    What about GPU-Z? You mean as far as how I'm monitoring it? I'm using RadeonPro OSD. That's weird, though. We have a very similar setup but very different scaling results. *Shrug* I'll try logging it with GPU-Z next time I play and see if there's different results. I'd imagine that RadeonPro would be fairly accurate, though.

4. crisrodrigues

crisrodrigues Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX 980 SLI
    Shadow of Mordor is freezing after a while when playing with crossfire enabled. I don't know what may be the problem.

5. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    I have the same issue :frown:

Started getting the dreaded black screen with the sound still playing in the background issue after installing the 14.9.2 drivers.

Not sure if it will help but I used to be playing at 1080p with the 200% supersampling when the black screen crashes started, I changed it to 150% and I haven't had one crash in the last two sessions.

6. H0PE

H0PE Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6990@850/1285
    Download issues and driver installation problem with the new driver.

New Beta driver release date on the website shows: 10/24/2014
    Driver name when downloading the file: amd-catalyst-14.9.2beta-14.301.1006-64bit-win7-oct10.exe
    Even though the version seems fine I'm concerned about the "oct10" part.

Also there is no shadow of mordor game profile in the list when I try to add game specific profile to CC. I go to Control Center\Gaming\Add Profile\AMD CrissfureX Mode to amd predefined profile and there is no shadowofmordor.exe

Also seems the software installer is broken. I got no error message when I was installing (uninstalled earlier driver, restarted and cleaned remaining files and registry with drive sweeper and drive cleaner, restart then I've started the beta driver installation). Now when I go to Control Center/Information/Software Update I see two lines:
    AMD Catalys Software Suite ..... 14.301.1006-141009a-176674E
    AMD Catalyst Software Suite (beta) ... Not installed

This doesn't seem right.

7. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    I couldn't see any game profile either in the list when I looked for one however they've definitely done something to get it working with crossfire. It was a mess before for me, flickering menu's and in game overlay (when aiming arrows) and lots of fps spikes when playing. Now i'm running it in ultra (with the exception of not ultra textures though, they definitely require the 6GB they as for, or at least more than the 3GB my 280X offers) and I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps at 1080p.

As for the installer, the Oct10 date is probably when they finished doing the changes and the remaining time was probably spent on testing it.

Also I'd strongly recommend using DDU (google it) for removing old drivers before installing new ones. Ever since the AMD uninstaller took out my Creative soundcard drivers with no warning (causing a load of hassle getting them back on) I've used DDU ever since. Works perfectly and guarantees you get a clean driver install each time. Only adds a couple of minutes to the process, especially if you've got an SSD.

8. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    There is NO shadow of mordor profile in my CCC ,what are you guys talking about ?Or maybe my install of 14.9.2 is incomplete! Please somebody check if they have one and then report back.

9. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    See my above post. There is no profile on mine either but it does now work with Crossfire, the earlier bugs have gone. I've no clue why there's no profile though, does work though.

10. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    I have not started playing the game but only used the benchmark tool .Simply put 14.9.1 or 14.9.2 both have menu flickering and performance is the same using CF .

11. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    Ok, fair enough.

I'm just reporting what I'm seeing now. Prior to 14.9.2 I couldn't play in CF, menu & overlay flickering and stuttering. Since the new Driver Crossfire is absolutely fine for me.

I've not done anything special either. Just removed the old driver with DDU, not added any specific profile for the game, put all the settings in Ultra (bar textures) and it's worked fine. I've not got anything else doing something extra on my PC either, I don't really fiddle with much. So I don't think it working has anything to do with something special/different I've done.

12. H0PE

H0PE Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6990@850/1285
    Thx for DDU, the more uninstaller I use the better. Adding it to my list. :)

I barely see any difference in the game performance. Still stuttering like hell when I turn (vsync on/off doesn't matter, tesselation on/off doesn't matter,Windowed, borderless, etc.).
    I also noticed a shocking thing in the readme of the beta driver, I don't see HD6000 support?!! WTH?!! I really really strongly hope its just because a fastly built beta driver and not removing the support of these cards. :3eyes:

Game is still unplayable for me, I did an alt+f4 and waiting for a proper driver. :(

13. H0PE

H0PE Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6990@850/1285
    Dear Matt,

If thats the case then a.) the driver download page is broken b.) the beta driver is broken. Because we don't see the profile in it.

14. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    There is no profile in CCC but crossfire is working without any user input. You don't need to make a profile or tick the box to enable crossfire for apps without profiles. Run the game with your monitoring tool of choice you will see the gpus are all being used, the fps has increased and no flickering. The only requirement is that the game is run in exclusive fullscreen (same as any other game excluding mantle titles).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  15. H0PE

H0PE Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6990@850/1285
    I'm aware of how the driver can automatically choose between game profiles (and identify games based on their exe files). Thanks for pointing this out though and taking the time.

However, we wouldn't be on this topic, if we wouldn't have issues with the game. And we got issues with the game because the driver doesn't support the game specifically, which we need, due to some coding mishap monolith has been doing.

If you read some of the posts, gamers noticed that with different gaming profiles the game actually runs much better than on normal/default/whatever profile the driver automatically selecting.

From this point on I wanted to do some additional configuration in my game setup, to make sure everything set to the fastest and I minimize the issues with the game profile setup as well (turned off AA completely and chose fastest method for texture quality for instance). However the game profile is not in this beta as of yet it seems. So this is some miss-communication at best.

UPDATE: Also would like to point out that for me the game runs much better in borderless windowed mode than on full screen so that's also not "everyone's bread" so to speak. I also have some flickering introduced -again- but that's probably because of another game profile selected so I go back to the one working for me at best so far.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    H0PE what are you talking about, what driver support? It's working for me.

Dude, just effing do a clean driver install of 14.9.2 with DDU, don't mess with the profiles, it's already there.

You'll have all your problems sorted, and CF doesn't work in windowed mode.

17. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    This is correct. I've played a good few hours with the game now on the new drivers, seen all the different visual affects be included (rain etc) which some people said affect performance. It's run flawlessly for me since this last driver update so there's something definitely included for it even if there is no selectable profile.

H0PE if you're still having problems I'd say definitely try using DDU to remove the drivers and reinstalling.

18. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    I always use DDU ,but there is still no profile of shadow of mordor ,what are YOU talking about ?Post a screenshot please.

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Scaling is good for me with 14.9.2

20. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    The application profile list you see in CCC is a list of all the multi-GPU profiles available to the driver through CAPs downloaded by the user and bundled with the driver. However, beta drivers may additionally contain hard-coded profiles that will not appear in this list until it becomes a certified driver.