GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Dexter010

Dexter010 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    How did the install on the 980 SLI go tw1st? any problems or just plug and play?

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Did you fix your problem mate?

3. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    Anyone with a ZOTAC AMP! OC Edition that comes with custom PCB and 2x 8-pin power plugs??? How well does it overclock? What are the temps? What about the noise? I am not sure if I trust reviews out there. They keep saying it is seemingly a great card, but it looks SO hideous and ZOTAC has always been an ...under-brand IMHO.

Did people here pre-order? All I see available for sale are over-priced items and many say "Usually ships in 1 to 3 months". I want something NOW - like TODAY. Is that even possible? I am on NowInStock.net 24/7 but I can't catch a single sale, although I've been trying for only 2 days. Do you think Monday morning will bring some re-stocking?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    its the biggest pos i had in a long time stay away.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    Really so bad? It was TweakTown's Editor's Choice Award and its GTX 980 with custom PCB and cooling. How bad can it be? I heard it has issue with working in SLI with other cards, but aside from that - what's wrong with it? TweakTown even overclocked it to decent speed!

6. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    I have one giant quesiton that is off-topic - where can I get MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G backplate? No videocard looks good without such a plate. besides, aren't there RAM chips on the back too? They could benefit from backplate cooling!

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    its not worth the price at all big bulky and ugly the two other same price custom cards i have are better at all but its a tie in cooling but it has a 3 slot cooler the others just two
    best thing about it is the back plate looks and read points other then that the leds have to be turned off since to me its worse then a fan with jet noise(use firestorm junk to turn it off)

8. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    Its ugly, loud, and doesn't work well in SLI mode. That does make it suck when compared again other brand GTX 980 cards. However, as long as it works without crashes @ stock clocks, overclocks to factory OC limits, and does what its supposed to do then its still an OK card for someone who doesn't care about the looks and the noise and doesn't plan on having a SLI setup. But no wonder nobody wants to buy it... I guess PNY is no better, but it does have that near black brand blower fan on its stock blower-type fan models.

Anyway, is there MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G backplate or not? How heavy is it? Does it bend when inside cases?

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That really sounds strange, as you already cleaned your cooler. Fan on the card is surely running (I just think you would check too), so it almost sounds like the chip can't give it's heat to the headspreader... any progress on your side?

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Heat sink needs remounting, a change in gpu driver can increase temps also, maybe rolling back to previous working set and trying.
    If its not that I reckon it could be slight degradation running high overclocks on air.

11. Tnecniv

Tnecniv Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I have the one with the dual fan setup, Amp Omega: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/15470529761_8b8a262bc5_o.png

I did not preorder. I got it on the spot when it went in stock at Newegg around 3 weeks ago. Chose 3 day delivery and got it within 2 days.

It overclocks well enough on my end. Can get it stable at 1500mhz boost, 8ghz effective: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4294285?
    [​IMG]
    I average 60-70c, though it will hit 80c on occasion depending on the app. It runs silently enough as well, the fan noise sounds around the same between 33-80%. It will start to get a little loud after that.

This is my first card from Zotac (have mainly bought EVGA in the past) and overall am happy with it. It overclocks well, and stays relatively cool and quiet. I don't run SLI though so I don't have any first hand opinions for you on that end.

EDIT: Apologies, I just realized that the first image I posted is nearing 2MB, I believe the limit for this fourm is 1MB, preferably less. I went ahead and took down the image and provided a direct link instead.

12. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Thanks for replies. I have not OC the card yet.
    Also, I purchased some thermal paste yesterday that should be in tomorrow. I am gonna swap it in and see if it makes a difference.
    Gelid GC-Extreme is what I went with.

Edit, When I apply the paste, should I blob it in the middle, or spread it over the whole chip? Never really did a gpu before.
    Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Blob in the middle as it eliminates any micro bubbles that can be formed when you use the evenly spread method.

14. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Awesome thanks. That easier haha.

15. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    I just got my MSI 980 Gaming 4G and it SUCKS. I can't do more than 1475Mhz on GPU. VRAM is fine - 8000Mhz, but GPU is freaking horrid, especially when others get 1600Mhz or more!

16. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    Anything around 1500MHz is the norm, I think you're overreacting just a tad.

17. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    My thoughts exactly. GIANT man baby.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Also, not sure you will seriously be hindered in actually using the card to play games. If you're really that upset about it, send it back with the reason 'It doesn't overclock to 1500MHz!' and see if the retailer takes it back ;)

19. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

On a side note on my battle against heat. I said F it and bought a nzxt kraken 10 or whatever its called and a h55 cooler for my 980's.
    The core temp now has not gone over 46 lol.
    I have yet to check the other temps on the card though.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Are you putting the other stuff like VRAM and VRMs under water too? That'd be really interesting, I bet your cards would rock that way!
    But congrats on solving your problem anyway ;)