Samsung 8-Gigabit DDR4 at 20 Nanometer Fabbed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung Electronics announced that it is mass producing the industry's most advanced 8-gigabit (Gb) DDR4 memory and 32-gigabyte (GB) module, both of which will be manufactured based on a new 20-nanom...

Samsung 8-Gigabit DDR4 at 20 Nanometer Fabbed

2. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I would just like to see the price come crashing down on the 8GB modules. 4x8GB is plenty for 99% of home users. 32GB module is insane on an 8 slot board thats 256GB of ram. I guess a few people could utilize a huge ram disk and do all their video editing and rendering directly inside the ram

3. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    Are any of the current consumer DDR4 modules built on the 20nm fab?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    haha most people can hardly justify having 8GB, though I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak for that. But yeah, RAM disks are what I had in mind too. I personally would love to do a RAM disk for a virtual machine, where for probably the first time ever, the CPU would be the bottleneck of the boot process. Of course, that depends on the OS and what you do to it. For example, Windows by default only boots using I think 1 CPU core, but you can tell it to use more through msconfig. If you use sysvinit in linux, it runs the startup processes 1 at a time, but through systemd you get some nice multitasking. It's interesting to me to see what slows down a boot process besides disk load and network establishment.

5. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    :rock::rock:

6. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    Better remember to turn off the paging file lest your disk space gets eaten!

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Nope iirc they are all done on 30nm at present