2 boards dead any tech?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by avivoni, Oct 20, 2014.

1. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    hi, i've had 2 motherboards die in the past 2 month. I suspect now that the reason for these boards dying was my power supply. here is how it happened.
    my main rig was an evga x58 tri-sli board it was running smooth as always but i noticed the clock in windows kept going out of time, so i decided to reboot thinking it was simple windows error but the system never booted again. the board just died. no fans no beeps no nothing. only the board leds when psu is plugged. so after replacing the psu with another and trying trying cmos clear i gave up on the board and called it dead. i had an amd 1100t cpu and a gigabyte 880g board system around so i assembled another system everything different but I used the same PSU that was on my main rig. everything worked fine for atleast 3 weeks. last night just finished alien isolation on it. today the system had no power. same symptoms as the main rig had. no fans, no beeps, no nothing. but usb has power wich i find strange because i had turned off that feature in bios a few days back so that my usb external drive would turn off with the system. so here i am again now with no extra motherboards and i wonder. what are the odds of these 2 boards dying with the same symptoms and i can only think that the PSU is at fault possibly somehow randomly doing something that is damaging the board.

anyone here know repair of electronics? maybe with the syptoms mentioned above guide me where to look on the boards. a visual inspection gave me nothing because everything looks nice. the amd board i could find what looked like 4 fuses(marked F1,2,3,4) in different locations but they all cheked good. the board is getting 5v to the powerbutton. I have no way of testing capacitors :( . i have tested with another PSU. i can force the PSU ON by jumping the Green and Black wires while the 24pin is plugged and the cpu fan will spin but no beeps no more signs of life.

that second system i had built an arcade machine for my nephews and all i think is all that work i spent configuring everything and building that thing and now that i was nearly finished with 2tb of multicade goodness its all lost.

2. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    my asus maximus hero board done the same thing, everything was fine, one day I switched my pc on and nothing just black screen, I ended up taking parts out, using only 1 stick of ram etc minimal rebuild. not sure what fixed it but when I end up putting it all the hardware back in it worked, don't know why it done it or what fixed it ? have not had any problems since, although was very odd.

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    usually what happens in your case is ram related. ive had that happen before and cleaning the ram gold fingers with a rubber fixed it. but that was black screen no post but board powered. now its different there is no powering and its 2 boards with completely different parts attached. on the amd board by forcing the psu ON nothing happens there is no post no beeps, only fan spins, SB gets warm. and the black things on the pic get hot. everything else ive touched the 3 legged mosfets or transistors and they are not getting hot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    hmm yea, that is odd only thing I can think of is to have power socket/s tested, seems odd its done same thing happened to 2 different setups, sorry did you say you used the same psu for both systems or different psu's?

like you say can't see any burn marks bulging capacitors ect. bad bios ? but on two boards ? maybe you have some form of bad software caused the issue? its deffo I tricky one?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

5. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    yea altho i have tested both systems with different PSU's. I used the same PSU i had on my main rig to power the second system. thats why i suspect that PSU must have been the cause of these 2 boards failing. or it could be pure badluck coincidence

6. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    id like to know how to chek whatever circuit on the board is incharged of powering it.

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    ahh well im guessing it could be to do with old psu may have caused the issue although in same breath no burn marks or anything ? have you took the psu apart to see if there is any signs of failed parts inside of it? ... be careful opening the psu as high voltage can or still will be stored in the capacitor.

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I would guess where the main 24 pin plug is located

9. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    no ive not cheked the psu internals. i didnt think it was an issue because it worked on the second system for 3 to 4 weeks after the first system died. if the psu is bad and causing the damage its gotta be an intermitent issue or no issue atall, eitherway that psu is not getting used again, when i can get a replacement board i dont want to risk it using the same PSU.

10. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    might be worth you investing in an UPS but they can be very expensive for a high powered one, or at least get your mains power supply sockets checked/tested although not sure if it was to do with mains supply it probs would of done damage to the psu, like you say this would be more of a job for an electrical engineer. sorry fella best I can say, maybe there could be some one on this forum with more exp than me to help you resolve this issue.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sounds like the problems a friend of mine had. Replaced his PSU, still no change. Tried with minimal installation and RAM one by one, didn't help. I guess his mainboard simply died...

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Shorting out on your case somewhere? A friend of mine had that happen to him.

13. SpdyRobi

SpdyRobi Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 SLI
    Sounds like the PSU 12V line isn't outputting the proper voltage causing the board to burn up.

14. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    maybe the main rig, but the second system was not in case.

wouldn't this have also caused instability during normal operation of the computers like freezing, shutdowns, bluescreens ect...? but everything was fine until the moment they failed.

im scared that other things cpu,gpu,ram have taken damage aswell but i cannot know until i get boards working or replacements. im more interested in trying to fix these boards IMO it has to be a simple fix but without the proper equipment i cannot find the issue.