The Evil Within from Bethesda (Shinji Mikami)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by deathfrag, Apr 19, 2013.

1. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    So overall guys. How is the game? Worth the buy?

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Some will say yes, some will say no, like people already did here. If you liked the old Resident Evil you cant make anything wrong. I didnt understand the hype for the game in the 1st place, i like the old RE, im not this big a fan of this genre or a RE fanboy but i must say, i like the game.

3. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Hey guys, really need your help here. I was waiting for my gtx970 to arrive so i could play this game and been reading the last pages of this thread but i see so many commands and fixes that i'm a bit confused! !

I'll be running this game on 1080p and i ask if someone with a bit of patience could tel me what's the fix and commands i need to run this game without black bars and hopefully at 60fps.

Also do you guys disabled the film grain filter or left it on?

Thanks guys,i really appreciate it!

4. deadliner

deadliner Guest

GPU:
    HIS 7950 IceQ X² 3GB
    For black bars & fov fix install Flawless Widescreen, let it update, and then choose The Evil Within plugin. Unlock fps by adding one of the following to the end of the the evil withinConfig.cfg file (just search your PC for the file):

r_swapinterval "-1"
    r_swapinterval "0"

-1 will limit to 60, while 0 will completely remove the limit. However, don't expect a stable 60fps with either option.

5. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I did a bit of video as well. Mid class pc with GTX 570 and amd 1090T . Everything maxed out with FOV modification. Add up 20-30 fps on the counter since i record with my cpu. With all of those modifications looks better and still runs great on my rig if i can say so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-2_OXAQWA

If u guys know any more commands let me know to try them :)

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    As above, just grab Flawless Widescreen from here :- http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/ (i grabbed the x64 Windows Installer Package), then once its installed, click 'check for updates', bottom left (if it doesn't update automatically), and then select 'The Evil Within' from the list of Plugins, again on the left, to load it in (will appear in the right hand pane), then just minimise it once its loaded (as theres no need to select anything, as everything is automatically selected for you), and then start the game.

Thats all i done. :)

I disabled the grain, as was way to much for me, there is still a slight grain though, with the sldier fully down, but its hardly noticeable to me, so fine, you can fully remove it though using another console command i think, if you want to.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  7. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I should give a try too. If i set my res to 2560x1440 or 2560x1600, i only see the part of the game screen. The widescreen plugin should solve this problem?

8. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    Getting this game tomorrow. A little disappointed to read about more silly frame limiting by developers.

I hope it runs in 4k without glitches.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    It should do, works fine for me @1080p, its worth a go anyway, games much more enjoyable now. :)

10. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    1080p is fine here too as u can see it in the vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-2_OXAQWA I did recorded without that program . I only setup the FOV to 1.8 2048x1080 still ok but if i go over everything is f**ked up.

So installed Flawless Widescreen. Update everything then started the game. Same thing happens if i go on 2560x1600 or 2560x1440. No sweet banana here.
    :3eyes:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

11. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Just tried it with the flawless widescreen fix. So far it causes crashes which I hadn't had before.

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm thinking I'm the only person in the gaming world who doesn't have a problem with the aspect ratio.

Initially I was not pleased about it. But, once I started playing I found I didn't even notice the bars. I was completely engrossed in the game.
    And, I'm more then happy with the game itself. So, I don't feel the need to trade off performance and stability simply to remove the black bars.

13. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    When i played the first time i was kinda ok with the aspect ratio but since i changed the FOV it is much better and if u watched my video u can tell no need to have power plan to run this game on high settings. Runs great between 4-60 fps on my rig. Anyway the game needs some extra optimization, clearly shows the game.

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Add me to the club...only thing am gonna do is tweak the film grain a bit.

In fact havent even bothered to look at my fps (well I dont have monitoring software working with ab..fogot rivatuner part).

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    With the frame rate uncapped I'm running around 50 to 60 with everything maxed.
    I've just seem some say the flawlesswidescreen fix does knock performance down some.

I've also added the r_swapinterval -1 command the cfg file, as unlocking the console kills achievements.

16. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Thank's guys,and what's the command to disable the film grain and turn it back off? Can't seem to find it in the web...

17. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Options -> Graphics -> Screen Grain Adjust, slide it down to zero and there you go.

18. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Lol,didn't realise it was a game option... got to start playing this game

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Finally got this game this morning - it only took FIVE days to arrive (from GameSeek in case anyone wants to NOT use them in future - then about an hour to install, including downloading 5 GB of data.

Anyway, I initially tried it on the default settings but while the 30 FPS framerate did not bother me, it feels fine IMO, the huge letterbox borders on my 16:10 did so I loaded up Flawless Widescreen and have been using it since with no real issues. The game is just so much better fullscreen in my experience. It definitely feels like a spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4 as the reviews have been saying and I have to say that I love it. I am playing it on Casual difficulty though because I'm a big wuss but if I'm having fun then who cares, right? :D

Game looks great graphically too in spite of the engine. I'm not a fan of id Tech engines personally due to the low-res textures and pop in, which are both present in this game. The texture pop in is very noticeable in the cutscenes and generally the textures are fairly decent overall, helped by the grain filter, but there are some N64-esque ones scattered here and there which cause me to wince a bit. Audio is great. Combat feels solid though close up melee stuff is made a little awkward by the camera which zooms too far in IMO. This is a gory game too but that just makes it all the more enjoyable to play.

I'm only on Chapter 3 so far but I'm having a blast. :D

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I started getting CTD's today. Haven't seen any updates to the game and nothing else in my system has changed. Anyone else having issues?