GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, but your fans still going 1550rpm , so min is not really slow .

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't have that game.

It's lowest possible I can get, which was the whole point. We all know that Gigabyte messed up with the fan speed. Just proving the point. Even the lowest possible setting is more than enough to keep the card cool. MSI would be ****loads louder at 1550 RPM though because the fans are different in size.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    what are you referring to with "Second stage at the water fountain " is that a level in the game, single player ?

4. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    This is my firestrike score for my 2 970's. Is it ok or on the low side?

[​IMG]

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I can just barely read the final score but not the gpu score. All detail in that screenshot has been compressed in to oblivion and downsampled. You should crop your images instead, 95% is just useless space there. Png is the format of choice when taking screenshots like these. It's lossless and stuff like this compresses well, sometimes even better than using jpg.

Alternatively you could just post the link to that result.

6. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    [​IMG]

Hope this is better!

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That GPU score looks just fine. But really... No need to post full screen shot when the actual stuff is like 2% of the space.

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Well I got mine finally, but there is something seriously wrong with my performance. In win7 I get about 11k in FireStrike SLI, in win8.1 I get about 14.8k in FireStrike SLI, all at stock clocks. I really have no clue how to improve performance in win7. I've got close to full gpu usage, but games also run exactly the same as when I had 670GTX SLI, it's like there's no improvement. I'm highly frustrated right now, they seem to run both at 1228MHz and with full usage :(

Furthermore I had to sacrifice one of my eVGA cards for an Inno3D, which I regret very much. This thing heats up like a frying pan, is loud and cost me 25 euro more. It idles in 40 degrees and has no problem reaching 80C while the eVGA idles at below 30 and maxes out at something over 60 while being inaudible.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Some people got the SLI bug for 3dmark, score is lower than normal.

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I've swapped them around and the temps seem more acceptable and equal now. Now let's wait for better drivers...

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yep.. I have it as well. Was getting 17k GPU score with sli while others were getting over 20k.

I just installed the most recent 344.24 but haven't run any benches with them.. should check just to see how it goes.

12. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    New drivers do the trick. I'm now getting 14.1k in Win7 (using the most stringent driver quality settings). 18.8k GPU score @ 1228MHz, not too bad, not too good...

If you're ever tempted to buy an Inno3D, don't do it, they overheat.
    If you're ever tempted to buy an EVGA, don't do it, they're noisy as a jet engine.

13. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Iam sure the sli is somehow related to the drivers...nvidia needs to sort it out though...On the other had getting 80°C on your primary is more than hot...Oh and you have the evga one as primary or the inno3D?

*edit
    Oh sorry, didn't see your other comment, I take that back.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ah then I understand that you don't need to OC which of course is totally fine :) Going to a 4770 is a nice upgrade :) Hope your system serves you well for some time.

I got the same CPU, let's see if I can find my result somewhere on the Interent. I'll be back!

Edit - Found it, my best result so far.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4194928?

3DMark Fire Strike Score 15640p, Graphics Score 24479p
    Boost: 1506MHz
    Mem: 7500HMz
    Volt: +35mV

Worse score than yours on both physics and graphics :( How much did you OC? I see you're running your CPU at 4600MHz, I guess that helps quite a lot.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  15. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yea I tried everything, also additional ventilation directly on the card, but the cooler is just a badly mounted PoS. I'm sending it back, read similar things about it online. Before I also read that one shouldn't buy Inno3D, also not Zotac, Gainward and all other unfamiliar brands. But I had 2 Zotac 460GTX's and 2 Zotac 670GTX's, I thought I might give Inno3D a go, because they were readily available in stock, but I'm not buying Inno3D ever again.

16. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    @EdKiefer, Thanks for your response.
    The reason I asked for comments was that I did not think that it was possible to exceed the power limit of 110% and did not think that the card would boost that high when the typical boost as shown by GPU-Z is 1403Mhz at this overclock.

My clock speeds stay stable without any dips in benchmarks and also in real gaming like BF4 with everything maxed out at Ultra settings and playing at 1920 x 1200 resolution at 60Hz V-sync on)

I have also played around with some more overclocking and tried clocking core +200 which takes my boost to 1567Mhz but then get some artifacting. Increasing the core voltage does not help and it runs the same with default core, +25 or +50mv. (The artifacting is probably caused by the memory but I have not tried reducing the Mem clock of +500 yet to see if artifacts go away)

I am currently running with default voltage, power 110%, core +185 and mem +500 with core boosting to 1552Mhz which seems stable so far but will do more testing with various games. (Got Borderlands - the Pre-Sequel today)

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    If you run vsync on you probably never hit power limit as fps never go above 60 , of course it depends on your game settings .
    I run BF4 with all settings on max except FSAA , which is off and I run Vsync off with BF4 internal fps limiter set to 120fps .
    I don't notice tearing and card can keep 120 smooth w/o issues .

Your probably having memory issues when your hitting high core clocks , might want to back memory down a bit (7900 ) and see how it does .

The power limit is with drivers so it can spike past by few % , its just software reading and adjusting , could also just be the reporting part .

For gaming, if you generally run most games with Vsync on it may pay to be little conservative , like 1450-1500 core/7800 memory .

18. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    Thanks Ed,

Played BF4 again with V-sync off and everything maxed and then AB monitoring shows as follows:

Power % around 90%
    Max Temp 59C
    GPU Usage 98 - 99 %
    Core clock stays stable at 1552

I could not find where to set BF4 internal fps limiter but anyway did not see any tearing with V-sync off.

Just for info the new Borderlands does not stress the card at all.

Anyway very happy with this 970 which has doubled the performance of my highly overclocked GTX580. (Firestrike scores +_ 11000)

And a correction of my original post:- I do get some coil whine but only when rendering in the thousands of FPS like the first part of 3DMark testing but will never see (or hear) this in real life use.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    thats very good power levels for 1550 .
    I think I get avg of about low 90% with 1450mhz .

Yes, I tried BL2 and it hardly even goes to max clock, I have to raise the vsync setting, had it on smooth one max 60 . Maybe raising Vsync limiter or disabling it will keep clocks up .

On BF4 if you want to use its internal fps limiter, just make a file "user.cfg" and place it in root folder of BF4 and add these lines .

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 120.000000
    PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

Second line is for internal fps overlay (you can have it running with RTSS w/o issues too . )

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  20. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Just installed my new Gigabyte 970GTX G1. :) About 80% faster than my 670GTX, so much quieter and cooler.... never goes over 66C while gaming but it does reach 70C when stressing with MSI Kombuster.

Love it so far! Overclocked easily to 1500MHz core clock. Now the loudest fan in my case is my CPU fan. I did see my CPU temp increase slightly, but that was expected since the GPU is now dumping the heat into the case. Luckily I have an Antec 1200 case with great airflow.