Ubisoft engineer says Microsoft/Sony pressuring them to force 30fps on PC.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by harkinsteven, Oct 15, 2014.

1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Surely being third party developers/publishers the demands of the platform holders should mean very little?

But then considering this information has come from Ubisoft I don't really know what to think.

2. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    This is insane , what does PC has to do with any of this? I can't believe this at all... Just unimaginable what kind of **** is going on behind the curtains for the sake of someones business. Developers accepting these kinds of deals should really be ashamed , i understand its all money in the end.. but still.

I was to buy console but not anymore , oh no.. I wish we can have Nvidia and AMD honest opinion about all this. If what we read here is true

Sad thing that our favorite platform doesn't really have anyone to stand up for it, and everyone can screw us over how they see fit. Better stop releasing those games on PC then , it would be far less scary than this

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its ubisoft why should we believe them anything they say now.

They nothing but a lying fart at this point, just because they're so incompetent to make a decent engine they go trash this bs around, good luck with that ubisoft, softies :p :D

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Gaming PCs have always dominated consoles in sheer power and yet they've never taken away console market share. Why would they "need" to cap anything to make a console look better?

This is much ado about nothing.

5. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Anyone fancy an afternoon of Crash Team Racing? ;)

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I really don't get it - why would MS pressure devs into releasing 30FPS games for Windows? What do they gain from that? If people realize you get a much smoother experience on PC, then MS still makes money. Maybe not as much, but it would sure help their decline on Windows. Meanwhile, Linux SteamOS is gaining some traction and could eventually take these PC sales MS could have had.

Anyway, this is why I hate consoles - it's all about the money and not about quality or fun.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So this is a random redditor's interpretation of what some lowly ubisoft employee probably never said. He doesn't even quote anything specifically. And of all places it's posted to PCMasterRace which is a giant circlejerk anyway.

Sorry but a more reliable source is required for me.

8. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    ^ your username and that post , perfect fit.. i don't know what more is needed , of course i understand you but still i think its pretty obvious that there is some truth in this.

Also some say it's hurting AMD and NV market as well , but i don't think its the case as some games are so poorly optimized for PC and drive many into buying new and stronger hardware anyways.

Hey but stuff like Alien:Isolation still brings some little hope , it's not like no one really cares

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I actually agree with Denial. There is no proof except from "supposedly" what some Ubisoft employee said. He's probably just saying this to make it appear as MS and Sony are at fault for Ubisoft's crappy PC development team.

10. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Possibly , very much in fact. But it's not Ubisoft only that is doing **** PC versions. I mean look at latest Bethesda game , its bloody single-threaded in 2014 lol.. But yea, without more solid proof we can't be 100% sure. Although i still believe something fishy is happening behind our backs

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    People have been saying this kinda stuff for years "consoles hold graphics in PC gaming back" and yet in all those years only one title that I can think of shipped PC only and blew everything else out of the water -- that was Crysis. Oh and it sold like crap.

This doesn't even mention that there have been multiple console ports that aren't capped at 30fps. So what, is Microsoft asking nicely? Please guys cap it at 30fps?!

Again considering the source I just have a hard time believing it. The stuff they post to that subreddit is next generation retarded in 99.9% of cases.

12. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I read an article on the Forbes mag website a couple of months ago & according to them PC massively out sells console in platform & game sales so I can see game devs eventually telling M$ & Sony to sling there hooks as they make far more money from PC game sales.

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I do agree the source is poor at best, do I actually see this becoming the standard for PC ports ? No

14. jimbonbon

jimbonbon Member

GPU:
    2x GTX Titan Black
    It doesn't need to be PC only to offer a better visual experience - Crysis is an extreme example because it really pushed the envelope when it was originally released (it also did come to consoles a couple of years later). A more modern example would be Project Cars - it looks good on the new consoles, but it can look amazing on a PC.

While I don't disagree with you, this isn't the only evidence that there is a preference for standardizing on 30 FPS.

Look at this from a different angle; if the new console hardware is already a bottleneck for game development this early in it's life cycle, what can Sony/Microsoft do to increase the longevity of the system? One easy answer is to reduce the frame rate.

Taking this theory further and you could argue that the benefit of pushing towards 30 FPS as a standard is even higher for MS since their console is under-performing versus the competition and that isn't going to change.

It's just a conspiracy theory really, but it's not actually that unrealistic.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I doubt that this is true, but then again the new consoles were obsolete tech wise from the start (exspecially the xbox), so it would not be that unlikely for companies to try to use such lame tricks to lengthen the life of those products.

16. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis#Sales

You are literally just making things up. Please stop posting your BS.

17. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    ^^^ 92% of PC game sales are digital. A little known fact published by Forbes not too long ago when they announced PC gaming was the global market leader.

Also, any PC game that gets locked at 30fps will not be purchased by me. I'm not saying I wont play it... I just wont pay for it.

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Why? Given how much flack that Ubisoft is taking of late for

a). Their piss poor PC conversion of Watchdogs combined with
    b). Their inability to give a press release that doesn't contain pure stupidity about why their games run like they do.

This sounds an awful lot like Ubisoft trying to pass the buck.

Also if MS and Sony are holding so much sway with developers and the quality of their games output then why are the folk behind Project Cars aiming for 1080p and 60Fps across the board? Seems to fly in the face of the console makers forcing developers to downgrade their cross platform releases.

Really? People buy the PC version of a game because it runs at a better frame rate? Of the reasons to buy a PC version over a console that is... well it doesn't even rate on the list of reasons.

- Cheaper price
    - Easier to get hold of (Steam downloads are way way faster than PSNs)
    - Better community support
    - Better control interface (certain games driving and shooting)
    - Mod support, easily the biggest reason given that pretty much every game on PC ends up with some sort of modding community vs nothing on the consoles

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Rofl, OK maybe I should clarify because obviously inferring basic context from my post is too much to ask for.

The entire argument is PC vs Console:

Crysis was obviously one of the most hyped games of all time leading up to it's launch and it was by far and away the best game to showcase an example of PC gaming as a whole. And yet despite both those things it was one of the most pirated games of that year and doesn't even make the incomplete top 50 list of best selling games of all time.

By comparison Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is predicted to sell 17 million copies in 3 months. Compared to Crysis's 3 million copies in 3 years. So yeah, crap sales. And suddenly the idea of companies preferring console sales/both to PC sales becomes clear.

20. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Remember when everyone thought we would get quality PC ports because of the "next-gen" consoles?

NOPE