R9 280X Throttling, how to disable it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by IceVip, Oct 13, 2014.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    When my R9 280X Reaches 66C and above, it starts throttling
    as you can see in the pic below.

http://i3.minus.com/ibtmjls4cENvVZ.png

I've set the fan speed manually at 63% to make the card go above 66C
    to prove myself that something was really off.

The throttle from 66-68C is 700-1130mhz
    But when it went up to 69C the throttle became
    500-700mhz which is some major s#!t during the summer.
    I should mention that I'm not running crossfire, the ULPS is disabled(read somewhere it helps, but it didn't in my case)
    And I have the power limit to 20% by default, I've edited the bios of the card, but i didn't find anything about the throttling in the bios so.. any ideas?

P.S Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Unlock core voltage and monitoring, maybe card need some more voltage to keep those clocks. You tried flashing another bios? Also what are VRM temperatures?

3. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    The voltage monitoring/control is locked.
    I have tried flashing every bios techpowerup has for r9 280x
    the card boots only with mine for some reason.
    I cannot monitor VRM, not even with HWInfo64.

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    try aida64

5. SAG

SAG Active Member

GPU:
    R9 270 @1050/1400
    Are you capable of editing and flashing the GPU bios? I had a similar problem with my R9 270. Beyond 60 dregrees (celsius) it was throttling very fast.

I compared my Sapphire bios to all available R9 270 bios at TechPowerUp. My TDP(W) was the lowest of all cards (108 w). My #0 Core Clock voltage was also a bit lower, at minimum.

Here is the link for all R9 280x bios: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...r=&model=R9+280X&interface=&memType=&memSize=

You can compare and edit with VBE7. But do NOT flash any other bios to your card. Some have EFI bios, some don't. Only edit your own bios and flash it back. Do NOT raise the voltage, neither the TDP to high. Check the power connectors on your card. PCIE and 6 pin connectors can handle 75 w each. An 8 pin can handle 150 w.

You can add up your power connectors plus the PCIE and withdraw 20%. This is the max TDP for your card, without the plus 20% in afterburner. (Example: My card has one 6 pin connector, so my TDP limit is 150 w minus 20% equal 125 w). Tick and untick the 'Manual power adjustment' in VBE7, so it can calculate the power limt, after changing TDP(W) above.

You can raise the #0 Core Clock voltage just one tick. (Example: I raised mine from 1.188 to 1.200)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Have you checked to see if you still get throttling during long gaming sessions? I remember years ago hearing about AMD (and maybe nVidia?) taking measures to specifically keep furmark from killing cards.

Honestly, if your card keeps throttling no matter what kind of stress you may need to look at an RMA or a different manufacturer. If it only occurs during furmark, which does not represent real load in games, then it should not matter.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Could create a 3D clock profile in Afterburner, which will lock the clocks so it doesn't throttle (what i did to stop my 290x doing it).

8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    That'd be great, how do i do that?
    To the guy with the bios flashing ideas, please read what i've written in the first post.

P.S@BuildeR2 The card throttles in every game, i just took a pic in furmark to show u
    the throttle.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Looks like vrm throttling in that screenshot. Dual x has a high vgpu iirc.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    When u edited the bois did, u know what u were doing? That's def vrm throttling, what's your ASIC?

11. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Any fix for this?

P.S Yes i know what I'm doing, i already bricked it 5 times trying out other bioses, anyways all i did to my default bios was to change the VDDC from 1.219v
    to 1.300v, even though it made no difference.. I'm still keeping it at 1.3v, some programs monitor the gpu running at 1.206v for some reason tho..

ASIC is 61.8%

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No sorry, you don't know what you're doing. 1.31v is miles too high especially @60% Asic. The vrms are prob drawing around 300w already, adding more voltage will only make them cook.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  13. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Well that doesn't really matter because the card doesn't even get close to 1.3v
    Even though it's set at that value in the bios. But just go for the sake of it i flashed
    The stock bios and tried it out, same thing. Plus I've no idea what asic was until
    You mentioned it, don't know how it relates to voltage n stif stuff..

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can I give you some friendly solid advice: please don't mess with the BIOS till you understand it...unless you'd like a fried video card. :)

AB by default displays VID, which is not the same as vgpu. This can be changed in the config file if you know how.

The ASIC value in GPU-Z relates to current leakage, basically GPU efficiency.

100% ASIC all power from vrm's gets to the GPU, by the time you get to 50%, your vrm's are drawing 300w and sending half of it into space.
    A 50% ASIC @1000mhz GPU pulls double that of a 100% ASIC 1000mhz GPU.

Vrm's have a wattage, heat, and voltage tolerance before throttling or damage occurs.

There is a TDP limit programmed into the bios which varies between GPU's, it may or may not reflect what the vrm's can take.
    Increasing the limit can prevent throttling but also make it worse. depends on the card.

With that said, can u flash the BIOS back to the original and maybe put up a GPU-z screenshot of the VDDC?

Do u have a uefi or legacy bios and which version? iirc the dual-x is an anomaly, I think it has an unusual vrm controller.

SAG gave u good info btw.

P.S. don't use Furmark, it'll burn up your GPU.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  15. SAG

SAG Active Member

GPU:
    R9 270 @1050/1400
    I've checked out the R9 280x bios. It looks like it's an EFI bios.

Is this your card? http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/149518/sapphire-r9280x-3072-131127-2.html

And are those your regular specs?
    #0 core clock 1020 (VDDC 1225) / memory clock 1500
    #6 core clock 870 (VDDC 870) / memory clock 1500
    TDP (W) 247 (198 - 296)

It looks like your card is pretty much maxed out. There is one single Sapphire bios at TechPowerUp with core clock 1050 and VDDC 1250.
    Most of the other vendor cards are all around 1.200 v. A few at 1.250 v. So 1.250 is the absolut highest I would go. NOT 1.300 !
    Like Pill Monster said, it will cook your card.

If this card needs 1.250 v for 1050 MHz, you can suppose that it's pretty much maxed out for overclocking, with very little space for higher clocks.
    Try 1.250 v and 1050, or 1070 MHz, maybe 1100. I guess somewhere there is you sweet spot.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey OP that card could have legacy and UEFI BIOS, did you test both? Button on side of PCB.

What are the stock clocks? Trying to work out which version u have, think I know already though......

17. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Ok ok, so yeah i've a legacy bios and a uefi one, usually when i brick the legacy i switch to uefi to fix it. I'm not using a uefi windows so it makes no difference to me. Anywho
    the link SAG send was close to mine, http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/150288/sapphire-r9280x-3072-131127.html this one is mine.
    The card does not look like that tho, it looks like this http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/200070/sapphire_radeon_r9_280x_dualx_3gb.jpg
    And to answer ur question pill, i used uefi to see if it still throttles, no difference.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So you still have the original unflashed bios?

That's because it is a Vapor-X and not related to your Dual-X. The picture is only used as a stock photo - it doesn't indicate which GPU the BIOS is from.

So far you've run it in Furmark, flashed it unsuccessfully, bricked it, and edited the voltage to 1.31v, and overclocked it. All of which could make it throttle in apps and games...

Only way to see if there's really something wrong is if you have the original stock bios, stock clocks, and don't use Furmark, then we can see if it's throttling.
    If it runs at default settings with slider at 20% and doesn't throttle, there isn't much wrong except it won't overclock....

The P/N number on the box your GPU came in is the specific release version of that card.

19. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    try running a benchmark and NOT furmark...

i run my 7990 24/7 in demanding 3D games and benchmarks like 3dmark firestrike extreme and get NO throttling at all ,

but when it comes to FURMARK or other FUR related tests it throttles like hell

FURMARK is NOT a throttling determining test , it pushes the vrms WAY too much...

20. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Naaw i didn't flash it unsuccessfully... I bricked it 5 times because i flashed
    5 different versions of bioses for this gpu, i wanted to see if something else
    will work with it, when i saw nothing else did i just flashed back the stock one
    with 1.3V, which kinda helped to get 1130mhz on the core, But for the sake
    of this thread i flashed the original bios back, because i have it backed up.
    The card throttles yet again, not only in furmark, battlefield 4 with mantle,
    need for speed rivals with res.scale 2, ryse son of rome.
    So don't point the bios, the card is working perfectly fine and the bios is not
    faulty, its the protection from high deg. thats faulty. I just wanted to know
    if there is a way to disable it because i can't seem to find anything in google.