Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) on Kepler?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Sep 22, 2014.

1. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Whats not working with GSync monitors?

DSR certainly is.

2. phobus666

phobus666 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ SM P2450h
    As I mentioned above, DSR works well with my titan on Alien Isolation but I had problem where I couldn't load next level with there drivers for laptop. Had to install latest one for desktops, after which issue was fixed. So I have to wait now for official drivers which would enable DSR for titan, I hope they will come soon.

3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Same here.

Reverse back to 340.11 with manually created downsampled resolutions. Meh...same as DSR but w/o the smoothness option. IMO too many hype around DSR...1080p and even with 4sgssaa are far better in regard to IQ compared to 4k res....and faster too. Pity...it's a mostly a dx9 privilege.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  4. ze1t

ze1t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    I had the same issue with Alien, setting the screen size to Windowed Fullscreen fixed it for me.

5. GPUSMUG

GPUSMUG Guest

GPU:
    980 Ti SLI
    May have a question outside of the scope of this thread but does pertain to downsampling.

When downsampling 4K and higher to 1080P, is that more bandwidth being pushed over the wire? If so wouldn't this exceed HDMI's current capabilities? I use displayports myself but am just curious if this is the case.

6. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Very interesting question, Fars I know, DSR has been working perfectly for me, smooth frame per second if I dont go to crazy with the nvidia inspector settings, yes, there is a quite a bit of difference between with and without DSR, but like I stated before, 4k(DSR) is absolutely no where as good as highest nvidia inspector aa + 1920X1200, not even close, hell NO!, far as overall IQ is concerned.

Far the most part, Thats what I would do, 1920X1200 + nvidia inspecta's

32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS]

+

8Xsparse Grid aa.

Beats 4k res with low aa HANDS DOWN!!! but it will wreak havoc with today's games and probably make the game very very unplayable, defint not recommended for todays games, older games, yes, new games, NO.

Now if you want something a lil better @ 4k without that insane aa settings, use nvidia inspector w/

8Xmsaa

+

8Xsparse grid aa

Overall IQ, somewhat better, but not awhole lot.

The 4k(DSR) is Great for OLD! games, Not recommended for today's games, even with 3 gtx 980's, NOPE, you will have problems, Referring to 4k +

32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS]

+

8xSparse Grid aa

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    You want test FF7 and 8 for PC wonder how that battles will look i bet it will kick the crap out emulation of the 2 even with specifying the same res, to bad the audio on both are total crap.

Though it just dawn me I can use DSR on game that dont support the resolutions most game do these days. this could make some old favorites play able agian

8. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    DSR doesn't push the game resolution over the cable, else how will the gaussian filter work.

9. phobus666

phobus666 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ SM P2450h
    Thank you for hint. I have downsampling set up via nvidia control panel. I have entered 4k resolution but refresh rate I had to set up to 60 Hz to pass the test even tho I have 144 Hz monitor.

I'm quite new to this topic and don't have much time to install those laptop drivers again, could you please tell me if via DSR you are able to have for higher resolutions higher refresh rate than 60 Hz?

Thank you.

10. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    You realize that DX9 was like an eternity ago?

A downsampling method which works with ALL games and independent of monitor capability is HUGE, at least for me.

11. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    What is the ideal DSR smoothness level for less than 2.0x factor?

Dota 2 doesn't look great with 1.78x (2560x1440), both with and without ingame FXAA. I rather prefer Durante's Lanczos filter for this game with ingame FXAA enabled, nothing beats this combo.

12. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I installed the driver 344.24 (used DDu to remove older ones), I don't use any custom resolution but still I don't have the DSR option in 3D Global profile.
    I have Quadro 4000m , is it because the card is not supported by Geforce Experience software?
    Does anyone have a Quadro card and DSR option appears in Nvidia's control panel?

13. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    Do you have to mess around with Windows 8.1 Driver Signature to get 344.24 modded drivers to work with GTX 780 Ti? Its a big no-no for me as it tends to screw up with permissions and cause all kinds of issues!

14. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    Isn't Sparse-Grid AA = GGSSAA? That's a hell of a lot blurrier than OGSSAA, which is what 4K to 1080p scaling and DSR provide. If you want you can just add 4x MSAA on top of that from within the game graphics menu if it has one or try to force it via Control Panel/nVidia Inspector.

I am confused about the gaussian filter... is it sharper or blurrier than lanczos? Is it sharper than bilinear? Bicubic? I know GeDoSaTo applies gaussian filter to SSAO, not downscaling, but I am not an expert on this.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Never heard of that

16. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    You only need to disable it for the installation, once it's installed you can enable it again. You can install Cyris's modded driver though without disabling it, you need to install his digital signature from the "nv_disp.cat" first though, he shows you how in the video.

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    After all of this hype and threads on different forums regard to DSR...I just realised how many people not used a proper downsampling (a "DSR button" which have been here for many years). For them a DSR is a really a new cool feature which allows them to play at 4k resolution :) Nvidia PR department nailed this one...again...who cares if this trick for the unexperienced (noob) gamers who happens to be not a savvy in tech stuff :D ...they got their profit alright :p

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What 'button' are you talking about that adds in down sampling resolutions to the game menus that support higher resolutions?

19. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    This button...

[​IMG]

...this button which have been here for years. For years (more than 10 years or so) "we" can use custom resolutions far beyond 1080p (yes...4 fkng K also) in 99.9% of all pc games.

PS. I know, in that pic of mine doesn't present 3840 x 2160 aka 4 fkng K (what a stupid fkng name)...but why bother create one while my card give me around 5 to 15FPS at that res...so I don't...

PPS. You guys must be thinking a Gaussian filter right? - just stop it right there...smoothness (blurriness) level of default downsampling equal to 10-20% gaussian (depends on your monitor) with 1-3% more frames than "DSR res". Period.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Are you purposely being dumb?

Without DSR i cant run any custom res with my 120hz screen, you know why? because pixel clock. DSR fixes that, so go spew that useless bs else where