Dell Inspiron 5521/8730M help.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Potat0, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Potat0

Potat0 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD8730M
    Hey guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5521 which comes with Intel HD4000 on switchable with an AMD HD8730M. I have Windows 8.1 installed, and most of my issues only started after it. I use MPC-HC and LAV filters to watch anime, and with the same sttings as before my laptop now struggles to play the same videos. I have checked CCC, my laptop's in High Performance, etc... I dealt with it by lowering my settings, but my second red flag was Skyrim - it barely reaches 30 fps on Med/High settings at 1366x768 when my HD5450 could do so at 1280x1024. I bought Shadow of Mordor only to find out I can't even play it at medium settings without going as low as 10fps every now and then. I think the issue is with my drivers and am considering going for modded ones and have come to this forum. However, I'm a bit confused on which to take, or whether to take at all. I've searched around, and it seems like LeekM's 14.4 Mantle-enabled drivers are the only ones supporting my card, but from what I've seen they haven't been updated in a while and it seems like they won't be either. mahmoud's 14.9 WHQL drivers do not support mine, but seem to be the go-to for laptops as they support Enduro. I can take a bit of time to set it up, but I don't want to risk damage that would require me to go back to Win8 then update to 8.1 to get it working again. I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you!

Side Question: After a bit of googling, I saw a post that said switchable graphics (for nVidia at least) has trouble working with 64-bit executables. is this true? If so, is there some way I can get it to work?

2. mahmoud elfar

mahmoud elfar Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD6750M OC 775 950
    How 14.9 WHQL doesn't support your GPU ??? who told you that?

3. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Uninstall all your AMD drivers and install fresh Catalyst 14.9 WHQL on the official AMD site, it supports your card.

4. Potat0

Potat0 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD8730M
    Your thread, for one. It doesn't have 8730M listed as a compatible card, just the 8730 itself.

The AMD site tells me to go to OEM. Will the plain driver work with switchable graphics? I can't simply disable the intel card.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  6. mahmoud elfar

mahmoud elfar Guest

GPU:
    your GPU have a device ID : "%AMD6601.1%" = ati2mtag_R502, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6601 which is equal to :

AMD6601.1 = "AMD Radeon (TM) HD 8500M/8700M"

14.9 WHQL support your GPU

Edit:
    when you try to search for a driver for your GPU you should search with Device ID and vendor ID not the GPU name as AMD make some changes with the most mobility names

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  7. Potat0

Potat0 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD8730M
    Okay. If I may ask, what is the difference between modded and official drivers? Is there any added advantage to nodded drivers?

8. mahmoud elfar

mahmoud elfar Guest

GPU:
    in the normal the official driver should work well with your gpu but the modded one add some fixes to some problems you may find with the official Ex:low GPU utilization with Dx 9 games , nonfunctional switchable graphics menu and sleep and hibernate problems

9. Potat0

Potat0 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD8730M
    Hey, I've tried installing your modded driver. I disabled driver signature enforcement, started the setup as administrator and it stops midway, says Installation successful with warnings. In the warnings is listed "Driver Installation failed. " CCC says there are no options it can configure. What have I done wrong?

10. mahmoud elfar

mahmoud elfar Guest

GPU:
    Which intel driver you installed ? And did you tried to clean the old drivers first with DDU ?

11. Potat0

Potat0 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD8730M
    Hey, I tried it again, and it went through- but it black screened, and after 10 minutes I force reset it. On restart I get a little popup saying that AMD driver didn't install or it is malfunctioning, and the brightness is stuck at this very low value. I have the OEM Intel driver installed.

12. mahmoud elfar

mahmoud elfar Guest

GPU:
    Try with the latest oem intel driver search for it on dell website also use DDU to clean the old drivers first

13. Potat0

Potat0 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD8730M
    Hey,

I redid the whole process in safe mode- I was sure I'd messed up somewhere, and since I had the time I bit the bullet, and... it works! I got a minor "LogonUI has crashed" issue, then everything works buttery smooth. My mainstay, MPC-HC, on a video which would have gotten me ~400-500 frame drops over 10 minutes now gives... 5! This is brilliant, thank you for your help, love y'all!

14. mahmoud elfar

mahmoud elfar Guest

GPU:
    you are welcome , nice to see everything working good with you :banana:

15. Ajay DELL

Ajay DELL Guest

GPU:
    Amd 8730M-2GB
    Hello guys,
    Im new to this forum....Ive also got inspiron5521 with switchable graphics....Ive installed the latest mobile drivers from AMD

I would like to know whether the switchable graphics will work fine with these drivers or do i need to install drivers from dell website?
    Please do help me guys
    Thank you