Is The Game Industry Dropping The 60 FPS Standard?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by shoja, Oct 10, 2014.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    The highlight:

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ubisoft-assassin-s-creed-unity-fps,27855.html

60 fps is pointless??? They can't be serious right?

I would say it's pointless when compared to 120 fps, NOT 30 fps.... excuses.

2. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Since when did Ubisoft = Entire Game Industry?

Ubisoft is trying to make excuses for the console performance. 30 FPS is not cinematic. "Cinematic" is a marketing buzzword which adds nothing to games.

3. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    When was 60fps the standard of mainstream developers? They always aimed at consoles and 30fps , with few rare exceptions. But looking at this latest console hardware i don't expect that to change soon. For PC it was always 60+ if you had the hardware for it. Sometimes locked at 30 as well , but rare

Anyways , i love what this dude said , how does 30fps feel more "real" than 60? Is life running at 30fps lol? What does fps have to do with something being "cinematic" , it makes no sense. To be cinematic a game doesn't need to run at 30fps in order to achieve that , its about the story and what is happening in game and style of that game. Fps has nothing with that, typical PR BS. Don't know who is more dumb, people who say **** like this or those who believe it

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, imo this is just Ubisoft being forced to say this by Sony and MS after they complained that the console CPUs weren't powerful enough.

It will definitely be the standard for most console games though, but PC gaming will be unaffected.

5. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Can't wait to see that day bro, when game like ACU or better quality run at 60fps on these consoles. I mean, consoles can certainly do it , MGSV showed that so why are the rest still sitting behind? I think maybe because its obviously way easier to make game that looks good and runs at 30fps 900p on PS4 , but making something that looks same and runs at 60fps would be real challenge , so they just opt for easier solution as their only goal is money , not fun and future-proofing their games, i mean... Marketing and PR teams are doing majority of the work with "big" games lately. They hype it up so much with build that is never going to come out, next thing you know you already pre-ordered it and by the time you see it was all BS , its too late

6. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    The world around me is running at many thousand's of FPS. It looks terribly artificial as a result. It's only when I play a game by Ubisoft locked at 30fps that I can finally get the immersive, believable feel of realism I crave.

7. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Crappy devs and consoles are messing up the PC gaming community. I am not worried though because building a gaming PC can be as cheap (if not cheaper) as a PS4/Xbone, and I am seeing a lot of PC converts in my area; I am sure this is happening everywhere. Hopefully all this PC adoption will put a heavier focus on the PC gaming as a whole, and hopefully have devs stray away from this whole "30 fps is the sweet spot" bullcrap.

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Are you sure about that? Bethesda just announced that The Evil Within is locked at 30 fps for every system including the PC. Now I know they said they'll include debug tools to remove the cap, but at the same time they recommended against it because according to them it breaks the game as it, "was designed to run at 30 fps for cinematic purposes." You can say the PC won't be affected, but I think it will as we're already seeing it in one game about come out.

9. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Agreed. And even if people such as ourselves can and do enable higher fps, for most of the world it will be an invisible option they never explore. And it's the majority of PC gamers that determine how much of a market there is for good hardware and games that make use of it, not the minority of highly technical types. And the smaller the market, the less attention we get.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ok, somebody contact Ubisoft and tell them they have to stop talking now. lol

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I don't think games should be locked at 30fps but in my experience, 30fps is certainly smooth and fluid enough. I have played things that seemed fine and then I checked my fps with something like PlayClaw and it was only 25-30. I was perfectly satisfied until I saw that.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Yup.

It's just an excuse to try and enforce parity between platforms.

13. Placebo_Tony

Placebo_Tony Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Now that's just bull****...

I'm a motion designer so I know a thing or two when it comes to FPS in movies/motion graphics and etc...

Motion graphics/movies look good in 24/30 fps but for games it's not cutting it...
    Upping the fps in movies can cause the "soap opera" effect that kinda losses the dramatic effect of the movement when it's too smooth.

Games on the other hand feel sluggish as YOU are the one in control, once the movement is in your hands the higher the fps the more natural it feels...
    They try to mask it with motion blur, but motion blur in games never feel like the real thing or even movie motion blur... it's quite a sore on the eyes.

I'm playing on a 120hz monitor and it's really really difficult for me to go back to 30.
    That's just a lame excuse... fps in games has nothing to do with the cinematic experience... the graphics themselves, art design and sound all play a role in that.

14. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    One thing to note as well with Oculus Rift higher frame rates are a requirement to help reduce nausea etc so if VR has any hope of succeeding 30 fps cannot become the new standard, Sony had the same issue with their headset on PS4 and had to reduce graphical fidelity in thier VR games in favour of fps, regardless I think this 30 fps fad is just down to the current console hardware limitations.

15. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    It's been dropped since 2005 and the 360. Most console titles are 30 fps standard since then.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This has happened with games in the past, while it's definetly something we should keep an eye on, i don't think it's time for panic stations just yet.

Yeah, constant foot in mouth disease, clearly pissed off console makers with the first statement, then backtrack by pissing off fans of high framerate gaming.

17. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I think Ubisoft needs to stop making games. When was the last time they made something both fun to play, looking great and smooth/optimized other than 2D Rayman games ? Eleven ? Twelve years ago maybe ?
    Seriously Ubi, allez vous faire foutre avec vos jeux de merde et votre incompétence. Vous faites honte au jeu vidéo avec de telles annonces.

Note : These last words are french and disrespectful.

18. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I hope they won't do anything stupid and lock the PC version to 30fps.
    There is no reason to do that on PC, providing the option is smart however.

19. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Manhunt 2 is locked at 30fps, feels horrid when trying to play it (game is a pos anyway)
    Thankfully Manhunt 1 is locked at 60fps which is perfect and odd because it's older (and better)

20. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    :eek3:

Ubisoft is officially on my ignore list now until further notice. Honestly, can anyone say they've spent more time actually playing a recent Ubisoft release than tweaking it to get acceptable performance? I sure can't.