Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) on Kepler?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    use the newest driver, the notebook ones.

2. phobus666

phobus666 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ SM P2450h
    As it was mentioned before. DSR x 4 works fine on my Titan with latest laptop drivers and modified .inf file (thx for that btw to whoever did that). Using it just because of broken/not implemented AA for Alien Isolation and with DSR x 4 my fps drops from ~170 to ~60 but no jaggies at all but I can live with that drop.

3. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I'm running FIFA 15 @1080p with 4K DSR, 0% Sharpness, 4x in-game MSAA. Runs at 60fps+ and looks amazing.

Tried Wolfenstein: New Order and Tropico 5 but the huds/displays are too small except with the lowest DSR and the text looks horrible without lots of smoothing.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. GPUSMUG

GPUSMUG Guest

GPU:
    980 Ti SLI
    That is what I was using. Thanks though. Does anyone with SLI 780's see the option? I noticed a few of the people that could see it in SLI where on 500/600 series cards.

5. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Titan SLI and the option wasn't there for me either.

6. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Dsr works perfectly.

Heres my take on it since I am extremely heavy into IQ over performance.

While testing at my native resolution, 1920X1200, Absolutely no AA, compared to 4k with absolutely no AA, just speaking in general, There is a big difference in IQ, however, If you was going to compare the 4k with no AA to 1920X1200 resolution with nvidia inspector Absolutely insane AA settings:

32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS]

+

8xSparse Grid AA????

Absolutely NOT!!.

@ 1920X1200 resolution w/ 2XMSAA + 2XSparse Grid AA provides alot better IQ then 4K without NO AA.

I also tried to see if I can get a similar IQ, AA speaking @ 1920X1200 to roughly match up with 4k without AA, Heres what I found out:

2x2 Supersampling AA provides roughly the same IQ as 4k(DSR) With NO AA.

Another Thing I tried:

@ 1920X1200 resolution with:

+

8xSparse Grid AA

I tried to see If I can get better IQ @ 4k resolution without using the insane AA settings mentioned above as I am defint out of frame buffer at this point, So I tested 4k(DSR) w/8XMSAA + 8XSparse Grid AA, and the IQ is somewhat better then using 1920X1200 with:

+

8xSparse Grid AA

But not by awhole lot, but if you know what to look for while a particular game is in motion, there is a quite a bit of difference, an average person playing the game probably wouldn't spot it at first, certain things needs to be focused on and can tell a difference right on the spot.

I like it, thanks a bunch.

Overall? I'll be using it from now on, good stuff? kinda, yes.

If I had alot more video ram, I could do more but my gpu would cripple to its knees as I go very crazy with IQ within nvidia inspector, it would literally crush the 690 to its knees or any video card on the market today @ 4k res with the settings I use @ 1920X1200.

Absolutely BRUTAL IQ settings, That's probably not even the word for it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  7. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    im interested in fooling around with this. i was able to get the driver installed with modded inf yet i cant enable DSR in any way. the only available option in the drop-down is "off"

my desktop res is set to native, and i have the nv-experince installed too (thought i read this needed to be present)

anyone experience this or know a fix?

8. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    i have teh exact same problem here..
    see here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4933773&postcount=140

9. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    DSR works even on my old GTX 660 TI with those .16 beta drivers and the modded INF.

HOWEVER, I NOTICED THIS:

In Nvidia Control Panel, you have to put a check mark to ALL DSR resolutions. If I only select one or two, I don't see the resolutions in games available. If I select all of them in Control panel I see all in games and can select the one I want.

(So far I could only test with Elite Dangerous and Far Cry 3, but works!)

Edit: This for me is THE BEST thing since sliced bread, I already loved downsampling with some hack-tools like SSAA_Tool back then, best IQ and performance in Farcry 3, beats any AA method out there. (I am downsampling from 3360x2100 --> 1680x1050). Now I just wish I had a 970 or better even a 980..but it has to wait. This is the best thing Nvidia ever implemented in the drivers in my personal opinion.

10. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Downsampling only worked when your MONITOR actually made the specific resolution. In my case, I could never downsample via NV control panel since my monitor never made the resolutions I wanted. Also, it is incredibly silly that the old method was dependent on hardware and you needed a desktop in that size. Makes much more sense in software like it is now.

This was "sort of" possible with some earlier tools, but they introduced incompatibilities and most/all of them only worked with DX9 games. For me, this way how it is now at driver level makes a huge difference.

11. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Just a heads up, the reason why SLI and DSR is only working for some people is apparently due to it not currently functioning with SLI and G-Sync... being worked on.

Works for me in single gpu but not sli for this reason I guess.

Really looking forward to it working as intended and with SLI (and Kepler). It's pretty impressive for sure, although it really needs plenty of grunt at a 4k downsample as I found out. :3eyes:

12. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This is the poster child for the stupidest thing fixing an issue i have seen in long time stuff like this is always good for a laugh

Special seeing that option should have zero to do with gpu drivers or a effect on them. just goes to show PC make no sense some times.

14. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??!?!?!?!

well thats stupid.. yes, i have autogo to OK box with mouse, since i can work miles faster with this...

WHoever came up with that fix, A thousand kisses form me ;) hehe...

Greetz

edit:

Sooo, whats your guys Fav. settings in terms of DSR-smoothness?

im using 23% now...
    only tested in one game, 23 gave me optimal image and sharpen..

is it different from game to game?

greetz beta

--------------------------------------edit...

well, well...

dat new Nvidia DSR feature works nicely with Mpchc and Madvr...The quality is quite nice on top of the madvr processing stuff, BUT, its toooo demanding haha (gtx670)... also its a bit blurry with it on @ 3200x2400..(only have 4:3 monitor to test atm)...

still, when looking at it again, for a Movie size of 720x404, the final result is , well, pretty amazing to say the least, mind, i have a little lumasharpen enabled also...what u can see pretty good in the top left corner where the symbol is..need to test it without lumasharpen (shaderbased)
    or is it?

screen:
    [​IMG]

only testing...dont mind the rendering times and dropped frames, Cough, cough....

NNEDI3 (ImageDoubling /Luma) (MADVR setting)is still superior if it comes to teh Image Quality, even at 16 Neurons., thats what i think, But this also comes with a more demanding performance price...

hmmmm,, choices, choices, choices.....

15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Good to know people with G-Sync will have it soon!

It's definitely working in my 780 SLI setup with a Dell U3011 monitor (2560x1600) and get the following extra resolutions: 2804x1753, 3135x1960, 3413x2133, 3620x2263, 3840x2400, 4434x2771 and 5120x3200. Curious you can set these resolutions for desktop (not just games), but text is usually too tiny to read and need to change desktop DPI in Win7 control panel display.

16. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    A friend of mine got it working with a similar setup but I like many others don't see the option in SLI. The only difference I could see is the monitor, since it's not working on G-Sync monitors maybe same applies to 4K monitors.
    I hope that the next drivers are coming very soon.

17. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    DSR is in many ways a worse supersampling solution than driver level supersampling. However combine the two, and you get some interesting results.

18. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    so, i tested a bit more..
    And to my suprise, manual downsampling now works better, lol.. better then DSR for me atleast.. haha

well, with DSR i only can use 4:3 resolutions..sadly..(using an flat CRT here, native Res: 1280x1024. 21zoll), so GedoSato lets me choose teh native res its downsampling to..

now, with custom res (driver) downsampling it didnt really work before.. But since i tested this again today, something has changed, dunno what they really changed in this driver, but i can use now custom res. that i wasnt even been able before..
    And teh result is amazing, it has even LESS performance impact then DSR!!!!at least for me..

tested in 2080x1170@75hz downsampled to 1600x900@75hz..

now, the picture is cleaner, and, WTF, 75hz?!?!? i couldnt even get it to run with 60hz before this new driver....

now, in motion it looks awesome on my CRT monitor, mind you, its an FLAT one, so its not too shaby..

i need to test how far i can go now :) maybe even *1.5 or more..
    the 2080x1170 is 1.23 times 1600x900..

Edit:
    2400x1350@65hz Works :)

so, why does this work all of a sudden now???
    and since it works with 16:9 reso´s on a 4:3 screen, WHY doesnt DSR allow it??

dunno,custom res Downsampling FTW, is all i say...
    Only downside, i have to be in the desired Resolution before strating teh game, or it wont list it.. kinda strange, but ok,

edit:
    Screens....

[​IMG]

The Framerate in Alien:Isolation is still amazing :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    heh by me its right the opposite, once I enable DSR I cant add or edit custom resolutions anymore, even when I disable DSR (nv recommendation) its still greyed out, only my last saved custom resolutions are visible, that's it.

EDIT: ok I got customize button back after I closed nvcpl and opened it again..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  20. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    of course that works, because, why not?