AMD Catalyst 14.9 WHQL (14.301.1001.0 September 15)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    did you try 14.9.1?

2. cystacae

cystacae Guest

GPU:
    2x 7970
    I personally never had to go to safe mode as safe mode on 8.1 disables driver installation/uninstall. The windows default driver doesn't really add anything out of the ordinary so these are easily over written by the packaged files. If you feel much more content and safer doing that then by all means. I simply as I said do uninstall, driver cleaner, registry cleaner, reset, install new drivers. As far as no internet connection, this would only need to be done to install software that isn't quite legal. Unless I am missing something that you do know. If so, please enlighten the class by all means. ;)

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Use DDU in safe mode.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Well got back home yesterday to find the main PC with a black screen, No DVI Input.
    Rebooted the PC with the reset button, heard all the correct sounds for booting, windows startup, but I can't even see the Bios screen, which freaks me out.

Whats even stranger, is that my Nas, another PC, but on the same network, also has no video output, but its a Radeon 6670-LP, whose drivers haven't been updated in ages.

I finally got the Intel integrated drivers installed, but no Radeaon 290 detected at all in Device manager.
    Will check tonight to see if in the Bios it hasn't switched to integarted only, but thats more of a prayer than anything else...

edit: Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the drivers. I posted this here in case anyone else had the same sort of thing...(not that i'd wish it on anyone...)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

5. diddly

diddly Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8
    CCC stops working

This was the first install that I've issues with in over 3 years, uninstalling the previous drivers is usually flawless, but this time the screen went blank so I had to force a reboot. Then once the new drivers were installed CCC stops working after a while. Seen it multiple times now. Never used to have an issue. Hoping next WHQL driver will be better.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Use the new beta drivers 14.9.1

7. truxartis

truxartis Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 OC 2GB
    why ?

Where does AMD specifically say to uninstall before upgrading ? The installation wizard recognizes existing version components requiring an upgrade from the new package, and just does it.

I have upgraded the driver three times in my current Win install iteration, from 12.x to 13.4, and then to 13.12 with no issues (during or after) whatsoever.

I can see the need for uninstalling (maybe DDU) for retro-grading (or switching vendors), but for normal ups it sounds like a lot of perpetuating placebos and old wives tales.

The release notes has links to two different articles on "how to" install, and uninstall, but not on how to "upgrade your install". At least, none that I can find.

8. David Ryder

David Ryder Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ti SC ACX2
    If you don't have any issues with updating over existing installation good for you.

9. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I get hard reboots if I don't use DDU, the thing just shuts off mid-game.

Not every game, but definitely with GRiD2 and Crysis 3. Doesn't do it when I use DDU.

10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    To people with black screen after screen idle, I find it best if you just get a HDMI->DVI cable. The bug only seems to affect the DVI port and it hasn't been fixed completely for a long time.

11. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    My monitor is HDMI so I can't test it. Anyways it is a known issue for a long time from their release notes.

12. BuuBuu

BuuBuu Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 8 GB ( 4 X 2 )
    i use HDMI and i get black screens while idling too

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Looks like im going back to the good old 13.12s, as im playing Fear again at the minute, been running fine, but i just can't get past the Alice Wade level at the minute, as the bugger just keeps freezing.

First time was after about 20 minutes, second time was about a minute in, just freezes, and when i CTRL+ALT+DEL to get the Task Manager, it takes an absolute age, as rigs on a go slow, then when i eventually get there, and get the games process ended (even though it says its running ok), my GPUs stuck at 100% load, so i have to reboot, as whole things slow as hell.

14. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    AMD update procedures always used to say uninstall the AMD Catalyst Install Manager through Programs and Features before installing the new driver. This does appear to have changed recently and now it is hard to find any reference to this old procedure as all 'uninstall/install' notes have been updated. You can however still find reference to the older procedures in this 13.4 release notes ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/amdcatalyst13-4winreleasenotes.aspx ) which includes a link to "how to install your AMD product" down the bottom. This link ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx ) clearly states that for updating the driver, uninstall the old first through Programs and Features then install the new. This is how it always was for a long time.

Until AMD then decided that their AMD Clean Uninstall Utility was the way to go! That has since disappeared from the AMD site completely. Even hard to find it in AMD archived pages. But I still see peeps recommending it's use and it can be found for download on third party dl sites still. I used this once. Muther F**king sh1t bugged my usb even though I had a intel MB. Thank god I didn't have a AMD MB. Then I really would have been up the creek.

Now it looks like advice is just install the new driver over the top of old. I personally will just keep using DDU . Going down or up. Just because you are going up doesn't mean all old files will be overwritten or sidelined. There could still be instances of missed old files interacting with a new installation (case in point, read bottom note). I mean, DDU takes a few minutes for peace of mind.

Note: For 7990 users updating to 14.9.1 , refer to release notes:
    Users of dual AMD Radeon™ HD 7990 in AMD Crossfire™ mode should completely uninstall older versions of Catalyst™ drivers from "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows Control Panel before installing the AMD Catalyst™ 14.9.1 Beta.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Odd, just tried it again, but this time with my memory clock back to stock (was using 1300), but still keeping the same core clock of 1080, and i played it for over an hr fine, wtf :p

Can't see how an extra 50Mhz on the memorys to blame though, as Fear is hardly taxing, as i can play it on my low clocks profile (515/625), and still be locked at 144fps v-sync'd.

Actually, i should just play it on my low clocks profile :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

16. Amauryx

Amauryx Guest

GPU:
    r9 270
    Mine is not waking up as well from idle mode :( 14.4 worked fine.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well... I thought these were good drivers and that I could finally move on from 14.4, but Im getting random black screens and complete PC freezing when it happens, hitting the power button does nothing and there is no HDD activity LED, so it looks like the whole machine is freezing

14.9.1 beta has a massive memory leak and used up my entire system RAM / crashed the machine in the process

Back to 14.4 again, great

18. truxartis

truxartis Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 OC 2GB
    Thanks MacT, that's the kind of information I was looking for.

19. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    I'm using more recent (OpenCL 2.0 one) drivers and I don't have such a problems with them (using w7x64), maybe you could try use them.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks, but different GPU, different board, different OS lol

I've tried every single driver since 14.4 and none of them work for me