best Amd catalyst driver for Asus G73JH-RBBX05 laptop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ancientrites, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ancientrites

ancientrites Guest

GPU:
    amd
    Guys,
    I want to know the best of best amd catalyst for this laptop?

14.9 just sucks,i mean when i play fifa 14,with in 10 minutes laptops shuts down.at present i am on 13.9,which is stable.I need your opinions as what you think is the (best of best) amd catalyst driver for this grandpa laptop?
    I do have 14.4 which i had no problem but when i googled, ppl have positive review on 13.9.So thats why i installed 13.9.

@mod :I am not sure if this is right section for this topic,
    Apologies for my bad English.

2. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Member

GPU:
    Ati Mobility HD 5650 1GB
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870?

It really boils down to what games you play. If old driver works better for you and games you play over newer one than stick with it/ roll back to it.

AMD Catalyst 13.3 BETA 3 (yes, 1.5 year old one) still gives me best performance both in new and old games.

I'm currently on 14.9 WHQL but had much better performance with 14.7 RC3 across the board, even though I had not experienced any sudden shutdowns ,CTD or BSoD.

I played Fifa 14 few days ago with no problems,15 demo - no crashes.

Sudden shutdown sounds like overheating problem. "Check your temps, clean your vents" is a golden rule for me :p

3. WaxPaper

WaxPaper Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5870 (Mobile)
    I have the Asus G73-JH A1 (basically the exact same as yours; if yours is the Best Buy model, the only difference might be the RAM and screen resolution), and I've been continuously updating the AMD driver since I first bought the laptop, back in 2010 or whenever.

Except for the occasional driver that actually performs worse (a noticeable drop in overall FPS, running the GPU too hot or random BSOD/hard-locking), I really don't notice that much of a difference between the drivers that I'm using now (14.9) and, say, as far back as 12.x or 13x... I don't usually run benchmarks to test them, though, unless I'm having trouble with a specific game or something. Like there was a time when Skyrim was performing pretty badly until AMD finally optimized the drivers, but that's been fixed for a couple years now.

One thing, though; have you updated your vBIOS (the GPU BIOS)? Aside from the stock CPU BIOS needing an update, there was an unusual situation with this particular laptop where something was messed-up with the original vBIOS, which caused pretty regularly-occurring "hard lock-ups" or "grey screens of death," where laptop would totally freeze up. For more info, just Google some keywords like:

G73-JH vBIOS update

...and for the option of downloading a modded version that underclocks the GPU when idle or on battery power, add the keywords "Chastity" or "Chastity's mod" to that search.

Otherwise, yeah I haven't heard of many users reporting on an "optimal" driver for the 5870 in this laptop... I'd probably suggest at least 13.x or newer, but beyond that, I think it's gonna come down to how it performs with the games you play. I know that common sense says there SHOULD be an "optimal" driver (either up until now or in the future), but with a GPU as old as our 5870s, I don't think AMD is going to be improving any of its drivers with this card specifically in mind... I think the only benefit of future drivers will simply be specific game optimization, and perhaps some benefits of newer and updated versions of stuff like OpenGL....?

Someone tell me if I'm wrong; I don't know THAT much about this stuff...

4. ancientrites

ancientrites Guest

GPU:
    amd
    Sir, i already have updates vbios from chasity should be 012.020.000.032.038352
    I do yearly gpu repasting, now happy with good old 13.9
    If asus comes with amd graphics i will update my laptop but problem is asus is not showing interest on amd mobility...damn