NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    I tested all the pre-made DX10/11 flags and none of them worked. It will have to be custom and, as far as I know, nobody really knows how to do it outside of trail and error.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    With DX10+, the functions within the driver do not exist for the same functionality as DX9 AA bits.

2x2 Driver downsampling+built in FXAA looks pretty good IMO.

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I can confirm that SMAA injector works as well. the dll goes in the binaries folder, the shader files one level above.

Its a bit better than FXAA.

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Anyone noticed any difference with GM2xx GPUs?
    Still AA fix needed?

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd assume still needed. But you never know

6. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    how can i improve aa in middle earth shadow of mordor

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well the game has no AA on the PC, unless you set the resolution higher than that of your screen and 'downsample' it. That is not very effective though and not only reduces your framerate but also uses a lot more VRAM, which could be the difference between the game running smoothly or with stutters.

The game also use DirectX 11 so you cannot force AA using a compatibility flag unfortunately.

You can either force driver FXAA through the NVIDIA game profile or use a FXAA or SMAA injector such as SweetFX. SMAA would give better quality AA with less blurring IMO. Remember the game is 64-bit though so you'll have to use the 64-bit SweetFX files.

8. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    SMAA is not very efficient in mordor, unfortunately.

9. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    It is as efficient as a post processing AA can be, I definitely see an improvement.
    It's mostly because the game is very sharp and crisp so SMAA may seem less effective, but in reality it's just that you're used to games with a ton of blurry post processing.
    I for once am very happy Mordor doesn't have a bilion of awful filters and color grading.

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    For me, no amount of quality in other areas can make up for the immersion breaking jaggies.:(

11. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Unfortunately for me, the SweetFX injector needed for Shadow of Mordor doesn't work with Windows 8.1. If anybody knows of an alternative 64 bit DX11 SMAA injector that works on Windows 8.1, please share haha. I'm using FXAA atm, and while it works pretty well in this game, I'd definitely prefer SMAA.

12. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I use Radeon Pro for SMAA and SweetFX, I followed this guide to set it up.

13. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I have in fact made a guide for setting up RadeonPro for sweetfx and SMAA myself....kinda odd that I forgot...

Edit: So this might be the only time I've ever felt this way, but I actually like FXAA in SoM more than SMAA. SMAA doesn't hit anything that isn't an edge well, and SoM has a **** ton of jaggies that aren't on edges. Also, I think Nvidia may have improved their FXAA algorithm a bit. It seems to reduce shimmering more than it used to.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's just a matter of the fact that FXAA can handle and average high frequency information on the entire frame. That SMAA can't. However SMAA can handle geometry aliasing slightly better in some cases where diagonals are concerned.
    Once downsampling is introduced any blurring is basically irrelevant.

Both are still just post-AA however and won't reduce any temporal aliasing without being combined with super sampling.

It does look like they used some kind of AA on PS4 though maybe from a shot released. So the lack of even a remotely decent Post-AA option would've been nice other than just a "Hey, you can brute force OGSSAA with this quick and lazy option we set up here"

Straight up OGSSAA without anything else combined is just as lazy as SMAA or FXAA. Except it costs a lot more performance

Edge quality alone with 2x2 by itself is pretty poor 9/10 times. And that's if the built in OGSSAA resolution option also works on low resolution fractional based effects. If it bypasses them and just does the main framebuffer, that's going to look even worse.

I'll use a game where SMAA fares better than FXAA as an example.

Castle of Illusion Staring Mickey Mouse.

No AA http://i.minus.com/iG8Ztea2NK7NL.png
    2x2 OGSSAA http://i.minus.com/i8fI28gSTfr40.png
    2x2 + SMAA http://i.minus.com/ibroGZf6Ok8RB7.png
    (Both downsampling shots are done with a bicubic filter to represent the best you could get with GeDoSaTo for example)

15. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Why Lord of the Rings War in the North flag is not on list?

SGSSAA bits - 0x004012C1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I see that you posted it in the old AA thread, as it wasn't listed on the old AA list though or on the 3DCenter list am not surprised Cyber missed it.

17. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Moving to new page.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Never saw that. Thanks.

19. Jodeth

Jodeth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
    Flag for The Walking Dead isn't working for me. I tried 0x204002C1 and 0x200002C1. Any others that might work? I'll continue searching for another.

20. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Better use 4k with gedosato, previous sgssaa flags was blurry.