Shadows Of Mordor Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by wrathloki, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jeffarese

jeffarese Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD6990 4G
    For me this reduced the flicker but the performance isn't as good as with the AFR friendly profile. I notice significant difference when in huge battles. (with AFR friendly was at 60 fps rock solid, with your solution it drop to 40fps or so)

2. kingal

kingal Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950x2
    For me, performance is the same as any other profiles: good performance in benchmark, but unplayable in game. If I pan the camera around in a 360, my fps drops to 12 with crossfire enabled. Then once I stop panning, my fps slowly start to go up from 12 and after about 15 seconds, stay at 100 (which is what I have the game capped at). With crossfire disabled, they stay around 45-65 the whole time while panning. I guess this is because the memory swap?

3. Nurmi

Nurmi Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    Tested HK2207 and it seems to improve the low end frames after playing a bit, which is a good thing since its where it counts! :banana:

Ultra 1080p - FX-8370, 2x R9 290 +HK2207 "First run"
    Average 103.75
    Max 900.92
    Min 6.52

Ultra 1080p - FX-8370, 2x R9 290 +HK2207 "Third run"
    Average 107.87
    Max 920.55
    Min 24.15

After 1,5 hours of Orc shanking I ran the benchmark before exiting the game, and the game still holds the low end frames.
    Ultra 1080p - FX-8370, 2x R9 290 +HK2207 "After 1½h gameplay"

4. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Appreciate you taking the time to share that with us Nurmi. You can't beat user benchmark real world data. Will be great to see what sort of uplift we get on this title when there is a driver update for it.

5. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    I get a similar thing with my 280X's in crossfire.

Benchmark gives an average of around 58-60fps (vsync on) but when I play in game if I pan around then the fps will drop right to 10ish. In combat there are big drops as well.

I'm playing borderless in v.high at the moment to remove menu flicker and to get solid fps (55-60fps). I'm not going to try any profiles other than an proper one from a driver update.

If crossfire doesn't work with this then I really can't see myself bothering with it again. I got it precisely so I wouldn't have to worry about performance but it seems like only a few games really properly support it. It's been useless with this and Watchdogs. I only hope the extra optimization time for GTAV and Witcher 3 are to avoid this kind of problem.

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Xfire doesn't work with border less. But yeah I hear you about not wanting to bother with xfire. I returned my second 290 due to lack of support and intolerable heat. Think I'm gonna save up some money and buy 2 GTX 980s, SLI almost always works right off the bat, even if you do have to use another games profile.

7. RiPLeY78

RiPLeY78 Guest

GPU:
    7660g+7670m / cf 6950 2gb
    6950 crossfire.

When i turn crossfire on with either of those profiles (afr friendly or Lost planet 2), the benchmark demo scene shows no rain an loses many other effects.

Captures both in very high settings:

No crossfire:

[​IMG]

Crossfire

[​IMG]

See the fireflies on the hive and the rain???

I guess this cause scaling was more than 100% which is impossible in theory, so i watched carefully and noticed how many less effects are shown when crossfire is active.

8. RiPLeY78

RiPLeY78 Guest

GPU:
    Just tested with HK2207_DX11.exe and same effect.

NO rain at all and many less effects.

9. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Strange. I definitely had rain ingame (the story intro comes to mind). I haven't seen it since though but it was definitely on just before you kiss the wife and do the stealth killing. All hives have fireflies for me ingame as well.

10. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    ridiculous, this post. neither crossfire or sli work in borderless window under directx. crossfire works in borderless with mantle titles, however.

lmao, hell no it doesn't. sli isn't working properly on shadow of mordor right now just to give a most recent example. using fear 3 sli bits still gives underwhelming results and stuttering/issues.

i really hate when people talk out of their ass. :bang:

11. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    1-I never said SLI works with borderless.
    2-I've never had any problems with SLI not working for a new title, and relatively few are having stuttering issues compared to the Xfire issues.
    3-Nvidia releases drivers regularly, unlike AMD.
    4-Notice I said ALMOST always.
    5-Your reading comprehension needs work.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  12. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    Thanks for the replies guys.

A bit of Googling led me to other forum pages with posts from other people saying they were having Crossfire issues. Also seems like SLI isn't working that well with it either.

I think I'm just going to write this off as a lesson that in future it will just be far more sensible to spend £400+ earlier in one go on a top range card than get a card that's a notch below (like my 280X) and then look to Crossfire after.

Thinking about it now it's not surprising it doesn't work. The PC market is already a lower priority for devs than consoles so if GPU companies are going to put the onus on the devs to get multi-gpu's working with their games then its far from surprising many releases just won't bother. I don't really blame the devs either to be honest. I paid them £20 for their game whilst I paid the AMD approx £450 for my graphics cards. If someone should get them working properly its them.

For now I'm just going to play in v.high mode without crossfire via borderless. I could live with a little stutter if crossfire had ultra mode running at 60fps for 90% of the time. But with the menu flicker, the loss of graphical elements and bad stutter on panning there's no point.

If the eventual driver update /crossfire profile has the same zero effect that the Watchdogs driver updates had then I won't be buying AMD ever again.

13. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Another good profile is TombRaider*.exe.

I am in-game right now and it is raining and there are fireflies. Try TombRaider*.exe. Rain and everything in the benchmark and in-game plus high FPS. I had 125 fps average in the benchmark. In-game it seems to drop a lot though.

In-game: Vsync off, framerate unlimited, 150% 2880x1620
    Advanced: Custom - high, ultra, off, ultra, ultra, high, high, ultra, off, on, on

CCC: Texture Filtering - High Quality, Surface Format Optimization - Disabled, Tesselation - Use Application settings, Crossfire Profile - TombRaider*.exe

I think AFR Friendly is actually the best one. It has the worst menu flicker and flicker on some of the captains but it's the smoothest in-game. HK2207 and TombRaider have a lot of microstutter and frame drops. Other profiles don't seem to work at all in the benchmark and remove effects.

14. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    how and/or why is selecting AFR or working for some and not others? hell, i have two HD 7970's in crossfire and it's not that crossfire isn't working (both cards are posting usage in afterburner, it's just that the game is completely unplayable with crossfire enabled. i get EXTREME, and i mean extreme lag and freeze ups.

i'm also on 14.9 WHQL as well.

15. Henkka

Henkka Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X 3GB
    Have you tried using the HK2207 profile? I have a R9 280X and a 7970 in crossfire and when crossfire is enabled with AFR the game is pretty much unplayable, because the lag and freeze ups. While using HK2207 I get about 90fps and it runs pretty smooth, but during battles fps usually drops a bit.

16. RiPLeY78

RiPLeY78 Guest

GPU:
    Tombraider profile works perfectly, and now it shows rain and fireflies!!! Thanks for the tip.

Scaling is not nearly as good as the other 2 profiles (it's obvious, as it was showing simpler images), but it's more than enough (like 80% more or less).

Also, this profile is the one that gives the most menu flickering of them all, but i can live with that.

17. That1GuyTim

That1GuyTim Guest

GPU:
    XFX R 7870 DD x2
    After lurking for quite some time, I decided to try to contribute. I have tried all of the recommended profiles thus far and a few of my own. I have found one that I like and am going to continue to play with it, but figured I would share my findings.

My Setup
    GPU:2 XFX R7870
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Settings: All settings on high with the following exceptions:
    Motion Blur: Camera Only
    Texture Filtering: Medium
    Ambient Occlusion: Low
    VSync: On

The Profiles
    Profile: AFR Friendly
    • Benchmark: cl.ly/image/1B2M05393D0Q
    • Has Rain: No
    • Has flickering mountain texture: Yes
    • Has flies around the hive: No

Profile: Batman Arkham Origins
    • Benchmark: cl.ly/image/1e1Z1T2a0q3M
    • Has Rain: Yes
    • Has flickering mountain texture: No
    • Has flies around the hive: Yes

Profile: AMD Demo HK2207
    • Benchmark: cl.ly/image/2W0L0G2C3y1L
    • Has Rain: No
    • Has flickering mountain texture: Yes
    • Has flies around the hive: No

Profile: Tomb Raider
    • Benchmark: cl.ly/image/453B291I3245

Profile: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
    • Benchmark: cl.ly/image/0I1H0W2J463Z

Profile: Crysis 3
    • Benchmark: cl.ly/image/0V2k470O231K

My Pick
    Crysis 3

The Good
    In my opinion the Crysis 3 profile is overall the best checked thus far. It maintains high FPS while also displaying all of the elements the game is supposed to be displaying.

I have experienced no stuttering while in combat with more than 15 enemies, while it was raining and near a big camp. This profile also shows the rain effects, flies, has no flickering mountain textures (that I saw), and the arrow target is displayed properly (unlike some profiles).

The Bad
    The menus in the advanced video settings section and pause area are still really bad.

Hopefully this helps some of you.

18. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    i haven't tried that profile, no. some people in here were reporting missing graphical effects while using that profile, are you encountering this as well while using the profile?

19. RiPLeY78

RiPLeY78 Guest

GPU:
    I tried the Crysis 3 profile. Though the result of the benchmark is 4 fps better than tombraider profile, tombraider profile works overall better.

With Crysis 3 profile i have a drop in fps to the range of ~30 fps when the barrels explode in the benchmark, even if t's only for 1 or 2 seconds. With tombraider profile, fps don't drop there, maintaining ~60fps.

20. That1GuyTim

That1GuyTim Guest

GPU:
    XFX R 7870 DD x2
    Strange. The Tomb Raider profile was worse for me in the benchmark.