Upgrade i7 Xeon 5670 (x58) platform or wait?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Perfect Chaos, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Perfect Chaos

Perfect Chaos Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I mainly play games, browse and at times do a bit of video editing.

What i currently have: i7 Xeon 5670 CPU (replaced an i7 920), Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard, 8gb of 1600mhz ram, 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and a GTX 970 in an Antec 1200 case with a Corsair 750w PSU.

I was wondering if the CPU is going to bottleneck any games, or if i should do a simple swap of the motherboard and CPU to z97 and keep the rest to keep cost down. I did consider x99 but i feel it's a little expensive at the moment.

Or if Skylake is expected to bring a large performance boost i could wait for that? But it seems the K variants won't be due until at least a year from now.

Basically if what i have is good enough, or not limiting performance of games much compared to newer CPU's then i can wait. But if the wait is a bit pointless for the % increase over what's out now then i could buy a z97 board and CPU now.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm on a W3680 (980X). Still more than enough for games at 4 GHz. 12 threads are still faster than haswell 8 threads. Runs nicely at 1.2 V.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I would wait.

OT: How do you have 8GB of RAM in a tri-channel board? Are you running in dual channel?

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wait for skylake.

6. Perfect Chaos

Perfect Chaos Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Dual channel, my 3gb triple kit was getting old and was too little, and was faulty.. Triple channel kit prices were quite a bit higher in price when i checked not long back and not as easy to find, so i just bought a dual channel 8gb kit instead.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I would wait because you have a 6core 12 thread cpu even though it it is based off of the i7 980 or 980x.

8. Perfect Chaos

Perfect Chaos Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So game performance wouldn't be affected that much if i upgraded then?

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Games which were carelessly ported like watch dogs will be better but I'd advice you to wait unless a game you really love isn't running satisfactorily or many games are dropping fps due to a cpu bottleneck. The games I'm playing on my 920 are running fine so I'm waiting for Skylake.

10. Perfect Chaos

Perfect Chaos Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Any new info on when Skylake-k is due or is it likely to be late 2015 still? Are we expecting a 10% performance boost or more with it?

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Who the heck knows. :)
    Only testing later in 2015 will reveal the performance of this chip.On paper new chips are stronger than others.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Your guess is as good as mine. Even if it is only 10-15% faster than a Haswell/Broadwell chip, you will gain a lot more than that over your current CPU and it might even be needed at that time.

13. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I would say to keep what you have as well. The minimal upgrade path for you in my opinion would be a 5820K. Instead, I would pick up 2 more 8GB kits and get that triple channel ram working for you. (24GB of ram would be great too.)

14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Stick with what you have and wait. I just bought a second hand Xeon x5650 to tide me over until skylake. Next to no bottleneck with my 920 @4ghz and 780ti, should be none with the Xeon if I can get it to 4.2ghz

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    1st there will be Broadwell-E @ X99, yeah probably some time mid 2015.. Then intel milks that to the max and only after that we will see Skylake-E with new chipset, probably X179.

Normal Skylake will have Z170 chipset.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Pick up another 4gb stick. Sb is a tad faster in dual than x58 tri channell at the same ram speed. You eould probably have some increased performance. I would keep what you have for now cpu wise.