GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I hear ya.. I've never had trouble with EVGA, but from what I've been reading (which is too much tbh.. I really like these 970s) the cooler is only now being changed by EVGA and using the version 2 of the ACX cooler. What I don't know however if these new coolers sit properly on the GPU now..

Either way though, coil whine is supposedly an issue for them as well, so if you're going to spend the money, I'd sooner take an MSI/Gigabyte/Asus/Inno3d personally. They just overall seem like higher end and for the extra bit of $, you're safer.

I think your CPU should be fine haha :nerd:

2. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I was offered the EVGA acx 2.0 ftw 970 as a replacement for my 970 1.0 sc. It was tempting at first, then I read where the coolers were not lined up right and the fins were not strait. The photo that I saw had this gob of something right where the heatpipe sets on the processor.

I've only ever owned EVGA Nvidia graphics cards from way back when I had the 5600.

My thing is that with everything under the sun being built cheap, I wanted the best I could get.

My 3rd choice is the ASUS, as I have never had any issues with my hardware that I currently have. I really, really want a gigabyte g1, but again I have never owned any gigabyte hardware. But from what I have read the G1 is a good card.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Its a great card.. I can assure you.

I have owned several gigabyte cards and several motherboards. Of all the hardware I've ever owned, I have had the least problems with Gigabyte. I've never needed to return any of their products, and never had to contact their support.

obviously this was just my experience, but so far I trust them more than any other brand out there..

4. Maulataur

Maulataur Member

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming
    Amazing! Ran Firestrike and got 10319 score. What was even more amazing it I could not hear the fan at all from my seat. I kept having to double-check to make sure it was running. 970 never went above 71c and fan never went above 61%. This is with a +140 for the GPU and +500 for the memory. I guess I could push the GPU a little higher. Sure wish I ran Firestrike on my 7970 before I swapped it out.

5. Jdissi

Jdissi Guest

GPU:
    Gtx msi gaming 970
    Hi there! new to the forums just got a quick question.

So I just got the 970 gaming from msi ,my fire strike scores are kind of on the low side.On stock I'am getting a score on average of 9100.Even with an overclock 1502 mhz and +400 mem. My highest score was 9987(cant link) never going into the 10k+ at all.Is something wrong? I see ALOT of people getting way better scores.

Btw I am running a 3570k , 8gb ram, and am playing at 1080p(if that makes a difference).

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    your cpu is holding your overall score back, what is your gpu score around 12k?

7. Jdissi

Jdissi Guest

GPU:
    Gtx msi gaming 970
    on average in the low 13k

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    that's totally fine then, and obviously sporting a nice oc.

9. Jdissi

Jdissi Guest

GPU:
    Gtx msi gaming 970
    Here I was told by many there would be no bottlenecks :3eyes:
    I would overclock the cpu but I don't feel to comfortable doing so.Thanks for the quick response however.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    13K is normal for OC, i5s score a good 40% less than the comparable i7

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    not so much a bottleneck, your gpu isn't being bottlenecked, your main system weakness is your cpu is all.
    in other rigs their weakness will be the gpu.
    970s are delicious for sure.

12. Jdissi

Jdissi Guest

GPU:
    Gtx msi gaming 970
    Cool thanks for the advice/comments!

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    By the way... It looks like coil whine is really common issue with these custom GTX 970 cards.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ok, question...is it worth upgrading mobo/cpu/cooler just to make sure my 970s are not bottlenecked by my old CPU? I'm talking ~550€ upgrade here so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Can a 4790K handle a +1GHz OC with the H110 cooler?

Shopping list:
    MSI Z97 GAMING 5
    Intel i7 4790K
    Corsair H110 + 2x Corsair SP140 fans

I may buy faster RAM next year or something.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  15. Maulataur

Maulataur Member

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming
    What is everyone running that produces the coil whine? I haven't heard it yet.

16. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 970 SLI
    On my Gigabyte GTX 970 SLI setup I only get coil whine when a game runs at some stupidly high fps like over 1000fps.

I think that is normal though.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, that's normal. I hear it already at 45fps and all the way to 120+

18. Jam0r

Jam0r Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia MSI 970 GTX 4gb
    New MSI owner here :)

Loving the card so far. Come from a 290 and the power usage, lack of heat and noise and overclocking of this card is crazy.

Memory at 8000 and the card is boosting at 1604 all on air...

19. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    Welcome to the growing number of MSI GTX 970 owners.

I have been extremely happy with mine and have a second on the way.

CPU won't be an issue.

20. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    Is it the price of DDR4 that is holding people back from upgrading to the X99 chipset or because it is new tech?

Just curious. It made more sense for me because I was building a new system from scratch.