GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Wow amazon fees and + Israel fees same amount of money as store here in Israel sales so I say is its worth now that 980

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. Seithan

Seithan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX980
    I mighty be wrong but you wont see any difference. These cards dont even utilize PCIE2 if i remember right from reading an article.

3. Seithan

Seithan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX980
    These are pretty high clocks for the 670. I go around 1180 core and +400 on memory, on stock voltage. Whats your trick?

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    H2O and luck. I run 1280/7208 most of the time.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I think your second rig needs another 780 gaming, you see the price on it?

6. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    [​IMG]

Haven't done any overclocking yet

7. Mydog

Mydog Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X SLI
    OKI DOKI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Tempting but not needed. One 780 is plenty for gaming on a 55" TV in the living room, I don't even need AA on it.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    If that's true, then how is it possible that in Tomb Raider with the same settings and same driver version, my two 980's ( link ) are simply matching Hilbert's 970 SLI benchmark ( link )?

According to this http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,13.html a single GTX 980 in my system is losing nearly 20 FPS average, as you can see here http://i.imgur.com/tYDk17n.jpg

I know it's not due to my CPU, because there is no gain in performance comparing stock speeds (3.7GHz) to overclocked speeds (4.5GHz), as you can see in my previous posts.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    See your doing well with yours that's what its all about fun hobbie stuffs

No I do have will power I did not get ref. lol but was wanting 2 DCII but In a few weeks wait. If anything like my 680 DCII's it is going to be a lot of fun.
    I was just now going to get a ref zotac but I shook off the shakes and logged out.
    I could get maybe 1800 I would think with cooling and 1.42v on a ref card Hate to say it I might get one by the end of the week I think,am not sure I can hold out much longer.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

11. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Hey Guys. I'm gonna get 2 GTX 980's soon to replace my SLI GTX 770 Lightning's which are currently under water.

Roughly how much more performance gain would i get?
    Thanks

Edit: Need to get waterblocks for em as well

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I would venture to say at least a good 70% increase.
    A GTX 980 is nearly double the speed of a GTX 680, which is a tad slower than a GTX 770.

13. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Sweet. that's a good performance increase.
    Gonna go for em soon. Now to try and sell my 2 Lightnings with the block on it. doubt anyone would buy them though :(

14. Seithan

Seithan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX980
    Correct me if wrong but pcix3 is where it shines. When you use SLI and you need the additional bandwidth.

But i thought the question wasnt about SLI but single card perfomance, was it?
    Check the following graph. It might not be 100% accurate but its rather appropriate:
    [​IMG]

15. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    Yeah I feel you talking. I think I'll put my 680s in a secondary rig when the time comes.. I don't think anybody would buy them.
    It begins to be really tempting to get a 980 or two !

16. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    This is expecially true as those scaling benches are with stock 680s, overclocked 980s are twice as fast so I imagine there would be a massive performance drop.

Also PCI 3.0 8x is equal to PCE 2.0 x16 so if he has a motherboard that splits the 3.0 x16 lanes between the slots then you would have the same performance bottleneck as the above benches would ( except worse with the 980s ).

17. Seithan

Seithan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX980
    how much bandwidth the 980s use? and at which resolution?
    pcix2x16 is @ 500mb while its senior brother can reach speeds close to 1tb/sec.

but how much data moves from the lanes? ?How much "stays" within the GPU and the GPU memory and renders there? Im not sure at all that just because the 980 is "double" the performance of the 680, it also moves double date through the pci lanes.

edit: actually coming to think of it over a oversimplified view, the cpu gives the instructions to the drivers which in turn instructs the GPU what to calculate/draw. The reason the faster pcix has no meaningful impact to the final product is that given the same dx tech used, the commands will always be the same (and they take far less bandwidth compared to what goes within the GPU's processor/ram), be it a 680 or 980.

ofcourse i could be wrong since im not a tech myself and im severely lacking in knowledge.

18. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Go for it man! 1 GTX 980 has nearly double the perofmance of you GTX 680's. Get 2 and u should be set for a while... ur gonna get blocks for em as well? i need too as well... ahhh... pain in the ass to change em over lol

19. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I need to keep waiting a bit more ahah
    Yeah I'll need to get blocks for them and probably vmod them then.. I really need to wait - maybe we'll get a softmod-able card at some point so I can keep my warranty :p
    I really don't like that you need to remove some resistors for the ref design vmod.
    The 680s are still strong today at 1.4GHz, but 2GB VRAM is borderline on the crap ports we get (and will keep getting for some time), so more would be nice for sure. 8GB would be great for SLi & 4k/downsampling.

20. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Crysis 3 is being an a$$hole. I'm half way through the game and it's got this DX GI DEVICE REMOVED error and it crashes to desktop.

I wanted to be double sure my clocks were stable so I ran Heaven with extreme tessellation and 8aa on a loop for 40 minutes, no crashes, no artifacts, no overheating.

Looks like the game is just bugged. From my google a few games have that problem regardless of clocks etc.