GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    They really need to come up with a better latching system and stop using those cheap ass screws.

Screws strip, it's a reality, but those things strip more than Sasha Grey and Corsair are apparently so confident in them, they don't provide extras :rolleyes:

Great cooler once it's in mind you.

2. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Whatever is easy quick and cheap I guess. They need some massive superman powered magnets or something to hold the fans and rads to the case so no screws are needed lol.

3. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Yup, definitley didn't enjoy my H110 install either. I can't recall how long I fiddled with trying to line up the screw holes because each hole was off just enough to make it impossible to hand screw the screws in.

By the time I actually got it screwed on and set it I realized I had actually misaligned the plate when I screwed it on. But it was too late to re-align it because the paste had already been pressed against the cpu. Ugh. So everything looks so pretty inside my case except for the misaligned Corsair logo on the cpu.

4. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

I remember being all sweaty and had cold chills after that one, and then I had my portrait taken and posted as my avatar haha.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Not for nothing but the Asus 980 Strix In -0c overclock action done by pro clocker smoke.
    http://hwbot.org/submission/2635299_smoke_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_980_18900_marks

looks like he shunted the power resisters under the power plugs matter of fact it looks very very similar to the other dcII and matrix in card lay out(the ass end anyway)and power delivery.thats why they can do them cheaper and release them faster then other brands.
    That's the card I am waiting for ......Hot wire???? CHECK! Sold. Not only that but the bios flashing software will be more compatible by then also.

6. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Funny how you guys mentioned the screws on the corsair coolers. I had the RMA my h80i today because of that exact reason. It was being held on with a single screw and some cable ties.

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I feel your pain bud (as do many others), it is a common failing with Corsair coolers.

We can have 2011 perfectly alligned pins on a motherboard but accurately drilling 4/8 holes into a radiator is apparently akin to rocket science for the guys who manufacture these things.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    GTX 980. You don't think I was going to swap my cards around just to re-benchmark the GTX 780, did you!!! :3eyes:

9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I have no will power.I opened and installed one of the 980GTX cards ,I was going to wait and see if AMD is releasing a new card Sept 25.
    All I can say they are fast,overclock great.

So anyway I am running 1513 core/8000 memory.The card throttles because hitting and going over TDP limit but it really does not matter at all.New Bios should be out soon.

Done up a 3dMark run and The 980GTX outclassed a R9 290 and 780Ti in the same computer.

1.980GTX-Boost clocks 1450-1513 throttling core/8000 Memory.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4136739

[​IMG]

2.R9 290 1200/1600
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1467959
    [​IMG]

3.780Ti 1219/7000
    [​IMG]

10. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    Never had any problems with EVGA GPUs and their warranty service is impeccable. Don't see what their products have to do with you disliking precision or their software functionality when you can easily use afterburner or the like. Bashing them just for the reasons you specified is kind of childish.

11. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    +175core and +300memory would be 100% stable at stock volts without even needing to check it.

Techpowerup did +223mhz core and +400memory on stock volts and lots of other sites did 200 and 300-375.

I would start at +175 and +350 and then go 25mhz at a time on each until you are happy. If you get to 225 or 250 I would call it a day.

12. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    I'm at +127 core and +480 memory. My card came with the core already overclocked a bit, so its at 1367.

I don't know how to make it go any higher. I get driver crashes If I turn it up much higher. Either right when Fire Strike starts, or somewhere in the middle. Would turning up my voltage help that? Should I keep my target temp at 80? I'm damn near helpless at overclocking.

Do you guys use Afterburner for overclocking? I've been using EVGA Precision X16, but I really hate the interface. Too showy and clunky.

13. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I use afterburner, evga seems bloated and unnecessary.

I can't speak for firestrike as I don't have it but I run heaven 4.0 endlessly with 8msaa and extreme tessellation endlessly with no problems with 1516mhz boost clock. I think if you're getting high 1400s core boost then it is performing as it should. I think you would need crazy overvolting for only slightly more than that and the peroformance gain would be 1-2%.

From the techpowerup review 200 core and +400 memory yielded 14.6% performance boost in BF4. Another 25mhz here or there wouldn't make much of s difference.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Call of Pripyat @ 4K (everything maxed) - pretty impressive :)

[​IMG]

15. klown07

klown07 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb
    Little Klown was a good sport lol :D I am enjoying my new GPU. Being able to change my desktop resolution to 4k is pretty awesome, even if it isn't true 4k. I noticed that the pics I uploaded from my phone scaled to 4k as well? Anyway, I am satisfied with the gtx 980. I will try and do some overclocking and benchmarks tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nice pics mate, enjoy the card :)

17. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    Well nVidia has confirmed that DSR does not currently work in SLI. :bang:

How its working for some SLI users is beyond me.

[​IMG]

18. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    It probably isn't they can just 'see' the psychosomatic effects.

@LuckyNumber8

Cheers for the heads up about the crysis 3 performance patch.

I updated the game and all those times it used to drop to the 40s it is now 60 frames minimum regardless of what happens on screen. That's at very high with SMAA2XT @1080p

19. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Sorry quick question as I just installed my 980 tonight. Would anyone know why DSR can't be enabled in my NCP? When I go to DSR - Factors and try to use the drop down nothing happens and it just moves my mouse cursor to the bottom of the window. I can't seem to figure out if I've missed some setting.

I'm using the 344.16 beta drivers.. Also did the lightboost hack on my Asus VG248QE so not sure it that could be related.

20. klown07

klown07 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb