Nvidia GTX 980 Specs Leak all over the WWW

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 18, 2014.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    If its anything like the 6870 Windforce card I had prior to jumping to my 670, it should be relatively quiet.. however, that small fan is concerning, as I've not known the 40mm fans to ever be "quiet" per se.

They always have had some light whine or high pitched noice emanating from them.. hope that this is not the case with these.

2. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    It is a mid range chip, and it performs just as it should. Think about how new mid range GPUs have compared the last gen top gpu's. Think about how the 680 did vs the 580, normally the new mid range beats the old flag ship single core by 5-10% and dual flag ships tend to be about were the next flag ship is.

If that holds true the new flag ship will be 1.6 to 1.8x the 780ti or about what the Titan Z is for gaming.

Nvidia said AMD was well behind were they thought they would be when the 600 cards came out, and scrubbed the GK200 and used the GK104 as the 680, and then later came out with the GK210 and the 780 and 780ti.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I love your revisionist history. Tell me more.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You are aware it has nothing to do with what you believe, and everything to do with how it's marketed and sold, not to mention performs? If it's out performing the 780TI it's Nvidia's flagship GPU, that's not open for debate. It will remain as such until Nv releases something better.

As for people claiming it wasn't intended to be high end (the same people who have claimed this about older cards), would you care to provide evidence please?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    1.8x? It'll never happen. 980 is the new top end chip from Nvidia, end of.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    GM200 by November http://wccftech .com/nvidia-gm200-core-titan-ii-soon/

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I cant begin to tell you this is how I have felt about Nvidia since GTX 6XXX launch. The was the last time I was pleased with Nvidia.

I still feel their gpus are too damn overpriced.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    When you are the king of the hill, people will pay more. Simple as. There is no reason for Nvidia to charge less, especially for a new top end item.

Intel is the same.. no reason for them to give a discount when you have people lining up to pay it.

Apple as well. apple is the MOST notorious since their hardware isn't even close to cutting edge, yet you pay top dollar for it..

If you're not used to this by now, well..

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

11. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
  12. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
  13. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Dont get me wrong, its a very good upgrade for alot of people (including you), but it hardly beats the previous achitecture top card, and guess why? Cause its a much smaller, mid range chip, but on a new achitecture, which makes it able to compete with the old achitecture highend chip.

The gm200, which will be roughly the same size as gk110, will be ALOT faster.

14. alisaman

alisaman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 WC
    I believe you said the same about gtx 680, but some never learn...

You may have a lot of posts on this forum and thus hold a lot of merit among its members, as often is, but that does not make your words more true. Gtx 980 follows exactly the same path, as the 680 - Nvidia can put out a cheaper gpu, since no apparent competition is in sight, and get the big guns out (with the TDP to boot), when the need is there. All that, while making more money in the process. That is why these upcoming chips are bus hampered, low tdp versions - there is no need for the full version yet, looking at it from commercial point of view.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  15. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    imo no one here has a real reason to complain about, OK maybe a bit those who bought few days ago new 780 or 780Ti because they couldn't wait some more for 970/980. As always with release of new generation of high end GPU's we can expect healthy price drop on both sides, I mean NVidia with 770/780/780Ti and AMD's 290/290X, it's just a matter of days/weeks and some math, maybe 10%, maybe 15%, maybe even 20% for all mentioned GPU's from previous generation. For those with some old GPU stuff gaming at 1080p or 1440p and need for upgrade + don't care about higher power consumption GPU's of previous generation just grab some 780/780Ti/290/290X after price drop and you're good to go few more years.

TDP is area where I'm mostly suprised by 970/980 and that means (I hope) a helluva nice OC + quiet even with stock NVidia leaf blower.

I'll wait for an answer from AMD and then decide what to do. Expecting NVidia to polish/optimize drivers in next month or two so all of us can se how capable 970/980, also how high we can push them when it comes to extreme OC on air.

I can wait, no need for rush. Just hope that later (two or three months from now) manufacturers won't infect 970/980 with ****ty Elpida VRAM chips and cut the fun with VRAM OC above 7000.

Can we also expect some new NVidia Beta drivers tomorrow, Hillbert, anyone?

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    With these leaked benchmarks, clock for clock the 780Ti is faster or equal, never losing.

Hopefully pricing is good.

17. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    you can't compare them clock to clock, these cards aren't even built on the same architecture

18. alisaman

alisaman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 WC
    [​IMG]

Well, if this is Watch dogs, then the video RAM on gtx 680 alone will have this effect - 2 vs 4 gb (as I doubt they compare to a 4 Gb 680, dunno if they even made one?) - and gtx 680 is what, a 2,5 year old card now? Not impressed right now...

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    When the benchmarks that are leaked start with the clock speeds and then percentage differences for said games/becnchmarks, yes it does leave it open for comparison.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Clock for clock it is way more efficient but less powerful interesting. And yes different architecture but I think it is very interesting notion.