need a big advice nvidia480gtx n pc update

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by insomniahd, Sep 6, 2014.

1. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    hello everyone,

I own a evga 480gtx since June 2010.
    it's has been a beast in gaming , but now I feel like I need to squeeze each and every power from it.

CPU : amd phenom II x6 1090 @3.2ghz non over clock
    mobo : MSI 890fx gd70
    ram: corsair dominator 2x2 ... running at 1600mhz ( set some ratio to 1:4 in BIOS, I'm sorry I don't remember . please help me.. its a 2010 dominator GT.. confused between 1333 and 1600mhz)

gpu: evga 480gtx 1.5gb non oc

I have HDD...no ssd.

how will I get the maximum performance.... where and how to start.

Q2. if I have to increase ram, I know I cannot get the same ram now in 2014, which ram to choose so that all rams are compatible .

thank you .

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Maximum performance would require a complete platform upgrade: CPU, MB, RAM and obviously the GPU.

Depending on budget, I'd start with the CPU (4690k or 4790k), MB (z97 chipset) and RAM (2x4 or 2x8 2133MHz).

Keep the 480 until custom cooled 970/980 (and AMD offerings) are released and compare price\performance then get the best you can afford within your budget.

This would be my approach anyway, it may or may not be realistic for what you had in mind. I'd also put in an SSD for OS\Programs (actually two, another for games).

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    What he said, you're build is pretty low-mid range so you cannot just upgrade one part expecting a complete boost in fps. Upgrading the gpu and the cpu will bottleneck, upgrade the cpu and the gpu will bottleneck.

4. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    No I feel like my PC do just fine , I'm able to play all games 1080p at 40+ fps..

bf3 ...60

metro redux 35-60 with SSAA in auto..

NFS rival...ultra..

I need to increase ram...n oc my CPU.

my corsair dominator 2x2 1600 was running at 1333, so from BIOS I made it 1600 with Fsb ratio set to 1:4..

I have a lil budget for CPU cooler....and ram..

what I meant was....how to get the Max performance from what I have... squeeze each n every thing from what I have, i.e, OC my CPU ...GPU...increase ram.. I have little money saved for this only...

so....I don't think I can get the same ram ( bought in 2010) anymore.....so what should I add...( because I set the dram fan ratio to 1:4 to get 1600mhz)

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    In that case, I'd keep the 2x2 as a backup set and completely replace it with a G.Skill 2x4 1600MHz kit. Add a link if you want help with the specific kits.

What kind of CPU cooler do you have in mind ?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd upgrade to more RAM, then wait for the next GPU's to come out as has been recommended. The OP's CPU isn't terrible, it'll still do quite well with a half decent OC. If he does decide to update his CPU, I believe that board supports 8320/8350's, which may be worth the investment and save him a total platform update for a little while.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I can recommend the 8350, that thing is absolutely terrifying fast.

8. zais

zais Guest

GPU:
    Fresh install on ssd, 512 lx corsair, u can bring It to next upgrade, it's better than mechanical

9. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    no I need a compatible ram to run along with the corsair dominator 2x2 1600 MHz 8-8-8-24

my board is MSI/890fxa gd70 (am3)

the fx 8350 needs a am3+ board

for my budget I have the cooler master hyper 212x to over clock to 3.9-4ghz

I'll add a hard disk as I keep a lot of video n movies .

and if possible over clock my 480gtx a little ...as winter approaches , I have a HAF 922 CASE

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    http://uk.msi.com/support/mb/890FXAGD65.html#support-cpu

Is this your board? As I can't find a GD70 on the MSI website. Considering the GD65 under an otherwise identical name supports the 8320/8350 I suspect yours will also. I'd also recommend scrapping the idea to find compatible RAM to run with your current, you're better off getting an 8gb set to play it safe.

11. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    You really would be better off just replacing the ram rather than trying to find a match, matching can be a pita sometimes. Ideally you'd want to find the same frequency, timings that require the same voltage. There shouldn't be much difference in cost between the two kits.

The Hyper 212x works well and will help with the oc. How are your temps now ?

12. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    temps idle 35-40 ... Max load ..65

13. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
  14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    According to the support list it does support those CPU's. I'd see how things go with OC'ing your current CPU first, but it's definitely an option.

15. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    thank you all for your feedback.

for now is there any compatible ram with corsair dominator 1600mhz 9-9-9-24?

16. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Pretty much any ram that is 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 and runs at the same voltage.

17. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    then I will upload the details of my current ram...

then please find me a compatible ram... at least please tell me the name.. :)