Random black screen when playing games

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bspegasus, Sep 14, 2014.

1. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    Update: It's a burned ram on GPU. Changed it.

My PC started to give me random black screens when playing some games. First it's like, my monitor is shutting down, like when you wiggle with the cable, the image keeps shifting and then the black screen. I sometimes hear the game sound sometimes don't. But it only happens when I run a 3d program like a video game or 3dmark. It's not happening outside games and 3d benchmarks.

But the thing is, it's not consistent. I played Rome Total War 2 and Red Alert 3 for about 5 hours, no problem. I switched backed to Witcher 2, that happened. So I thought, maybe Witcher really pushing my hardware (which is not, solid 60 fps with no drops) so I played Crysis 3 with every setting cranked up. Nope. Nothing. Not a single hick up on monitor or black screen. Played Wolfenstein New Order yesterday couple of wiggle effects and black screen, played it today nothing.

I tested my CPU and GPU temperatures. CPU is at 50-55 celcius at load. GPU is 65-75. So it's not the temperature. I tested my RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. No problem there. Rolled back my drivers, nothing changed So what is it? What's causing this and why it is inconsistent?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Check Event Viewer at the time this happens, see if anything is being logged.

Also check for minidumps.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Which DirectX/API versions do the troublesome games use?

4. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    Well, Witcher is DirectX9 I guess. Wolfenstein is 11. But like I said in the OP it's all random. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I might found a solution. I downcloced the GPU a bit, set the power limit to plus 20 and set my fan to manuel at %50. Been playing some problematic games for about an hour, seems no problem after the downgrade and upping the fan speed. Is this about overheating? But It was just at 70-75C when it was having this problems on STOCK clocks. Then I downclocked a bit, upped the fan speed. It's on 55-60C now and no problem. It doesn't make any sense though... Surely my GPU can handle 70-75C right? UPDATE: Nope. Still does it sometimes.

I checked the Event Viewer but I don't understand this thing. There are some errors regarding API, what is this?

[​IMG]

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Wolfenstein is OpenGL game, afaik.
    And these events are about .Net which is a library (framework) and which is unlikely used by games.

6. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    This is getting under my skin. Why is it random? I can play some games with no problem, other I can't. And sometimes the problematic games stops being a pain in the ass and work like charm, sometimes the okay games starts spazing out. If there was a problem with my GPU, would not be giving me black screens in every game? There is no load or temperature difference in between X and Y game, but the GPU just acts randomly. And of course there is no problem outside of games, I can browse the internet or do some stuff in Windows.

What the hell.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Can you partition your HDD and reinstall Windows on the new partition, install all drivers, then a couple of problematic games and see if the problem is still there

No OCing, just plain stock everything & games

Least then you can rule out software if it still does it, and if not, you can rule out hardware

And it's only random because we don't know what's causing it yet

8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Extraordinary made a great suggestion but before that you could try using DDU to clear the drivers out before re-installing.

Normally I don't recommend using driver cleaners, but it's quick and easy.

9. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    Sure I'll format it. Btw I changed my mobo, ram and cpu but never formatted it. You think it might me the problem? But it looks like it's a GPU issue.

10. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Most likely yes, always best to reformat when you make that big of a change... unless you really know what you're doing and do the prep work before hand.

11. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    Okay let's see if that's going to solve it.

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    There's a good chance it will, but if not, it's a lot of work for nothing :mad:

I'd also suggest having all the drivers you're going to need downloaded and ready to go.

good luck

13. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    Thank you. I'll let you guys know.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol almost definitely

15. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    Changing mobo and stuff would effect games giving me random black screens? Don't get me wrong, I HOPE that's the problem :D. I am backuping my stuff right know, I hope the god that's the problem. I am getting tired of this.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Quite possibly yes, all the wrong drivers from the old board will still be installed, possibly conflicting with the new ones too

When changing something as major as the motherboard, always reinstall windows

CPU, GPU, RAM are generally fine to change without reinstalling, but unless you get an identical or very similar board with the same chipset, then you're likely to run into problems

A lot of the time the system won't even boot if the board has a different chipset

17. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Out of curiosity, what was your old build ?

18. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    I bought the GPU 4 months ago. Then couple of days ago I changed my 6 gig ram, i7 860 and motherboard. I can't remember the motherboard it was an old model, like at least 5-6 years old. Can't remember the model but it came pre-built, so you can guess.

19. bspegasus

bspegasus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 770 Amp!
    Ah for the love of god. Can't format because when I boot from CD, formatting process won't recognize my mause and keyboard. I have 8 usb ports, 6 in the back 2 in front. They just won't work.

20. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Have you tried removing and reinserting them at the install option screen? or another M&K to try ?

Is the disc in condition ?

For sh!ts and giggles, try clearing the CMOS.