Destiny Makes $500 Million in First 24 Hours

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2014.

1. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    wheres the proof that the sales are at 500$ million...marketing bull****:puke2:

2. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    You are talking about the followup to a legendary game there. Diablo 3 fell a few miles short of that. Destiny is.. well the reviews and users have already spoken with their rating for this one. Another watch_dawgs PR hypemachne game that falls short.

3. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It is marketing bull, read this.

They have shiped 500 million worth of copies to retailers, not to customers, they haven't released the sales figures for customers yet. They did the same thing when they released COD Ghosts.

GTA V is still king, it made 800 million worth of sales to customers in 1 day, and 1 billion in 3 days.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    While I agree that D3 vanilla fell short, you have to remember that people were expecting it to be "the best game ever made" which it off course wasn't. It was still a very good ARPG and now it's by far the best ARPG on the market, imo. That being said, I just installed Diablo 2 median XL ultimative mod last night and will put some hours into that.

Destiny reviews are good btw, if you take away the retardation on meta.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You are able to buy this game.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I second that, plus that there are games that you can play together with friends and family from the same couch.

7. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Agree 100% I game on all systems as I like gaming. The whole console wars and the way "some" PC elitists act is very immature. I can never get my head around why people care what systems others play on. We play games to have fun or at least I do, not to be offensive towards people who don't use the same system as them.:)

8. Kind of reminds me of all those Korean F2P mmos that brag about the # of accounts they have, when in fact the game was free to begin with and a significant portion of accounts were long abandoned or bot accounts. Versus something more sensible like having 14 million active accounts each paying $15/month, which WoW once had.

No doubt Destiny will rake in a lot of $ and be successful because of the hype marketing to sheep console owners. Also in part due to the shoot & loot gameplay that most of those players will find easy to enjoy. There is no need to argue about Destiny vs. GTA vs. Predator they all made mountains of profit.

Anyway the game is essentially nothing more than Borderlands with a more serious story and art style. A new Borderlands-on-the-moon title is coming soon so no loss to us PC players.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Made more impressive by the fact it's a new IP. However it's certainly not my kind of game and doesn't interest me at all.

Elitists only care about hardware and games come second. Gamers just care about the games themselves. Most fun game I played all year was Kirby on 3DS lol.

Now it's understandable that many will want the "best" version available but for several reasons it's not always on PC...due to inability for resale, borrowing or more bugs, DRM restrictions...etc.

The PC is a non streamlined, multi UI open hardware device and although the PC crowd either tolerates it or is used to it, many gamers out there just hate it with no patience or tolerance for an OS with 2 separate interfaces of it's own along with Origin, Steam...etc. So it should be obvious to the PC elitists why so many gravitate heavily towards console.....agree that both sides of the elitists are immature.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, and many PC games aren't available on consoles, either...;) A whole lot of them, as a matter of fact. Not just that, but many, many PC games are better buys than console titles...That side of the coin is always ignored for some reason. The games that aren't available on the PC that I would want to play badly enough to buy a console are unknown to me...;) Just don't know of any games fitting that category.

But I don't think there's any doubt as to PCs being better gaming buys all the way around than consoles. I've always thought the console market belongs chiefly to folks who have trouble discerning the difference between a mouse and a ram chip, and somewhat limited budgets--although, these days $500 will buy you a lot of gaming PC. What I dislike the most about consoles, even more than their relative hardware inflexibility when compared to a PC, is the fact that many console developers are in that market because they can't compete in the PC gaming marketplace...it's too tough for them (like Epic and id software, for instance.) But, to each his own, of course...:D

11. -Maxx-

-Maxx- Guest

GPU:
    GTS 450 1GB 824/4252 Mod
    No offence, but you're lacking in clarity.

The Diablo 3 debate was primarily around 2 points: always online DRM and auction house.
    The DRM clearly showed the limits of game usability since day one (has anyone said error 37?), the second one was a real PITA for item drop balancing and, consequently, for game enjoyment.

These are facts and not excuses for just jumping on the "hate train".

Now, going back on topic, Destiny is lacking not only in story but also in originality: there are so many elements plagiarized from Halo...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  12. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Well it is made by the people who made halo ... unfortunately they didn't use the good elements of Halo ... and now the Halo series has lost most of what made me love it .... why do bad things happen to games I love.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not really, people were hating many other things about d3, not just always online DRM which in fact is a blessing) and the AH. So no, your opinion is not a fact, it's just an opinion, and an incorrect one at that.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I prefer to enjoy the best of both worlds, and luckily I'm financially capable of doing so. I mostly buy consoles for JRPG's, although I'm also a great lover of titles like Mario Kart. It's hard to beat the level of fun you get with a few mates and a crate of beer while playing games like that. Then there's the adventure titles such as Uncharted, which are absolutely outstanding. Or the Killzone franchise, the third of which with Move was more fun than any straight up FPS I've played in a long time.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Same here, I buy the games I want and whatever it requires only comes second. Gaming is actually one of the cheaper hobbies out there. Try fixing up a 72 Charger, getting into drag racing, building robots....so many hobbies people have that cost a ton.
    I literally spent more on an Aquarium hobby years ago than I have on several consoles and games. I think that's something more gamers should keep in mind and stop being cheap about it, consoles are not really that expensive at all compared to most anything else.

16. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Truly, these day one figures are all just marketing BS. You don't simply want your game to sell for one day, but to have longevity on the shelf. Also they are always obfuscated by dollars rather than also showing number of units. Who knows what unit price for retailers are. It all depends on their contract pricing will the big stores.

The 800 million you reference, as far as I can tell, is based on Retail price, while Activision's figure is based on the publisher's price to retailers (wholesale). At least there is no strange language like "$500M worth of units" or something, so I am pretty sure they mean $500 million in bookings (or the price they charge to retailers). So it is kinda hard to compare the two. The gross consumer sales will be dependent on sell through of retail units, but it will be higher than the net wholesale orders if the game sells reasonably well and don't sit on shelf for too long.

Actual sell through to customers probably needs more time to collect, so it isn't surprising that they would want to release other stats that they can collect immediately.

Some things to note.
    It is unclear how digital sales affect this figure. I not entirely sure know what "first party orders" are and if they include digital sales. It would be nice if they clarified that, but it is just a investor/marketing statement...
    This appears to be a figure based on orders, so they include day one re-orders from retailer that will not be available for consumer purchase for at least a few days. It is hard to say how much retailers rely on re-orders, but they certainly will make them depending on sell through.
    Technically the game didn't make all of it's money back in one day. The 500 million cost estimates of the game wouldn't include the platform royalty. They may have sold $500, but a portion of that will be given back to MS and Sony and not to paying for the production, marketing, and management of the game.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  17. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    mine was justifyd when i opened the box

18. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    hope ,fingers crossed that maybe one day in the future they may port it for the PC market..
    I've been watching game play on twitch and i would buy it for the PC np , looks really good actually:banana::banana:

19. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Reviews are being bought for, with that extra money from the 500m. Do me a favor and do some research before you voice your opinion next time.

Don't belittle people eclap. You have your opinions, I have mine. (Yours is extra wrong in this case)

20. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    The game looks decent. I have not played it at all though. I have a 360, but my Live ran out and I don't really have a reason to renew. I chose a (partial) PC upgrade over a next-gen console since PC games go on sale a lot more and I have a big back catalog.

If this came out on the PC I would probably pick it up.