Limited or no connectivity on router, only with one laptop

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by naike, Sep 9, 2014.

1. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    The router is an Ubee EVW3226 that I got with UPC, it's been working great and has good wifi speeds and reception, no issues.
    Until now, we have 1 laptop in the house (some random acer, no more info) that just won't get an internet connection with my router.
    All other devices (10ish other devices) work perfectly with it.

I don't know what to do really, I've tried setting the network from public to private and create a new home network with the laptop, but it still doesn't work.
    Weird enough, it seems to connect to most wifi networks without problem (in internet cafes for example). Like on my HTC, if I turn the wifi hotspot on, it works fine, but then on my Galaxy mini hotspot, it's the same story (limited or no connectivity).

I've also tried resetting the router to factory defaults which did exactly nothing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    let's see.
    the Acer laptop,can you find what wirless card has and what operating system runs?

check if the wireless network card has the latest drivers from the manufacturer Broadcom,Atheros,Realtek,Intel etc.

can you boot that laptop from a live gnu/linux usb/cd? does the same,it connects or not?
    that way, you can eliminate the driver/OS/virus from the troubleshooting.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Check the laptop in question doesn't have a static IP address assigned

Or try setting a static IP on the same range as your router

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    ^this also

5. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Thanks, problem was the windows driver, I installed the broadcom driver from the driver list. Works now.