GTA5 will use +3gb vram @Ultra

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SLI-756, Sep 2, 2014.

?

gta5 will see more than 3gb vram usage at ultra

Poll closed Oct 17, 2014.
  1. yes

38 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. no

39 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. what the ..

27 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even if it is the Max Payne 3 engine, it would have been significantly improved. Just look at Unreal Engine 3 over the years. There's still a lot of yet to be released games that are Unreal 3, the latest release date being 2016. The licencing for Unreal 4 seems a bit cheaper too overall.

2. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    Unless its as badly optimized as Watch Dogs, GTA V won't use anything close to 4GB of VRAM. I don't know if anybody here uses their MSI AB or EVGA Precision X software often to randomly check and see how much VRAM whichever game or benchmark uses, but I am sure that those who do would know that even @ 4K, a ton of absolutely stunning high polygon, ultra-textured (in both size and quantity) content can easily use less than 2GB of VRAM. You also miss the fact that even though it may seem as if some game is using a large amount, there is still a buffer of preloaded information.

Watch Dogs is a BAD example and I made a thread back in the day about how it is nearly unprofessional for many game and PC hardware reviewers to refer to Watch Dogs and use it as an example of future PC games to come!

Now if a game is consolified to a point where its made to use 3-4GB of VRAM constantly no matter the content because it is somehow easier as far as coding goes and PS4's unified memory can handle that much, then yes, the game might use more than 3GB of VRAM for 1080p. Again, that is simply poor optimization.

I'll say that for the most truly demanding games, 3GB of VRAM for 1080p + MSAA or at least SMAA will be plenty. No need to obsess over it. I can get another GTX 780 Ti for SLI and run games with 2x2 (4x) SSAA, which is 4K downsampling, and with a couple of exceptions, all games will use less than 3GB of VRAM @ that 4K resolution. Time to stop freaking out about VRAM.

3. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    No and this is kinda silly brought on by the stupidity of ubisoft and watchdogs.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'd say it would at times 'dip' into the 3gb vram usage. Big gun fights, explosions and multiple character interactions could indeed use 3Gb or more Vram, fully maxed at 1920x1080 and AA.

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    thanks for the input, gurus.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im mostly interested in MP part of the game, driving around and making chaos :D

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I agree with pretty much all of this. While I enjoyed GTA4 to an extent, I lost interest about half way through and never went back to it. The game took itself way too seriously, a lot of the fun was lost that the earlier games had. San Andreas was definitely the best of the series.

I feel that GTA was surpassed by other games in the genre some time ago. Saints Row had the fun aspect that GTA began to lack, although to the extreme. I most definitely enjoy the series more than GTA4 +. As far as the more serious side of things go, I absolutely adored Sleeping Dogs. You may not have had as large a world to game in, but as far as storyline and gameplay went I found it vastly superior.

8. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    [Content Deleted]
    doublefail

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  9. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    [Content Deleted]

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I could say the same about the newer GTA games. If you're not enjoying something you're not going to replay it. I'm not in the last bit interested in the multiplayer aspect of games like that.

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs. :banana:

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm tempted to replay it now tbh. :p

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I bought Sleeping Dogs on a Steam sale and never got around to playing it. I eventually lost all interest in even trying cause I'm always into something else.
    Just recently started playing GrimRock and loving it...I hope to see a sequel.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Coming soon

http://www.grimrock.net/

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This.

16. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I say it'll perform almost exactly like MaxPayne3.

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I know I will be trying to play the game at 4k resolution.

18. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    GTA 5 being much bigger in scope I reckon it will be more demanding.

19. superkickstart

superkickstart Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780
    I predict that people will try the game at max settings with their 5 year old PCs with 1GB of vram and then proceed to complain about bad port.

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070

my card at the time was a amd 4670 with 512mb of memory.....