Improve crossfire cooling

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DiceAir, Aug 31, 2014.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Hi there.

As you can see I'm running 2x club3d royalkings r9 280x in crossfire. Sometimes my gpu will go to about 85-90C and sometimes higher.

I already have a corsair air 540 with 3x cougar fans in front and af140 at the back. I already tried running my fan speeds on max.

I have my corsair h100i with standard fans set to intake. I tried running all fans at max but temps on top gpu is still like 90C sometimes.

So what can I do to fix my temps?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Try swapping which card is in the top slot. That mobo looks to have plenty of space between the two, so cooling shouldn't be too bad.
    See if it's both cards, or possibly poor cooling / thermal compound on that one card.
    When I was running CF, the bottom card was always 10-20c below the top card & was only topping about 80% work load.

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Ok will try that. What else can I do?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    a pwm side exhaust fan.

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    The only way I can do that is by cutting a hole in the side window. I was thinking of just getting some better fans like corsair sp120 performance edition for the front.

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i'd cut a hole :)
    actually i'd cut one for a nice 14cm noctua one.
    my fan is around 2 cm away from gpus.

7. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Ok so I tested with side panel off and with my top and front panel also off and temps about 4-5C cooler. I tested this with Crysis same area. once I put the top and front panel back the temps go 4-5C hotter. With side panel my temps a further 1C hotter. Next step is to undervolt my card and test.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    So I undervolted my card from 1.265V to 1.230V. Ran heaven for about 30min and it seems fine. Temps dropped to about 70-75C and it's at full load for 30min. I think I just solved my temps sort of

9. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    One word: Airflow! (or lack thereof)

Am I miss-reading this? You have 2 intake fans front, your H100i fans (mounted on top of case I assume) as intakes and just the 1 exhaust at rear? This can't be good for airflow - sounds like a pressure cooker. As noted by you when you took off the side and top, all that hot air that has nowhere to go is now released, resulting in your temperature drops.

Try this for a simple explanation of case fan setups: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1858957/airflow-101-setting-fans-keeping-computer-cool.html

First I would be swapping those H100i fans to exhaust. Sounds counter-intuitive but will be creating a negative pressure inside, which will result in increasing airflow within case.

And in any CF setup, hot air from the bottom cards usually bump up the temps of top card. Best solution is to have a high CFM side fan to get the air between the cards moving. Or can try ducting.

10. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Sorry I meant 3x intake. Nice link there. I will make my h100i as exhaust. I still had almost the same CPU temps the last time I had it as exhaust so might as well do it again to help with gpu temps and less dust inside

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014