ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    #2 there...you mean that when you exit a game or change resolution or something like that, it turns itself off? If so, mine does the same. For example:
    Far Cry 2 - Whenever I switched resolution or refresh rate the screen would turn itself off and I had to reset the computer
    Hard Reset - When I exit the game the monitor turns itself off. Once I waited like 4 minutes and suddenly the monitor turned itself on and windows gave me a GF Driver crash report.

I'll reinstall my OS this weekend, that's decided.

If that is the case then I guess I could live with it. As long as I dont sit too close to it I don't really notice it that much. But like you say - what the hell IS the problem? The ASUS representative called it "incorrect pixelmapping" but what does it mean? And is it something all monitors have?

Ah that page, found it a week ago or so. Haven't posted there though.

Edit - Posted.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    Do you think that fix includes any stuttering with SLI and G-sync enabled in certain games like BF4 and such?

3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No idea. I know there's a fix for stuttering with recent drivers and there was something mentioned about SLI performance with G-Sync on the GeForce forums, so fingers crossed.
    If not then submit a bug :)

4. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I would sh1t the bed if I'd bought one of these and had all the problems you guys are facing. NVidia release drivers pretty regularly, so hopefully that'll sort everything out for ya'all!

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'd gladly disable a PhysX card for G-Sync, but after next driver I won't have to ;)
    There hasn't been anything that makes me regret purchasing the monitor, the positives with G-Sync greatly outweigh current issue/s. It's just a smooth clear experience even with fluctuating frame rates, as long as it stays above 35ish fps.
    I can't speak for the "pixel mapping" issue though since I haven't really come across it yet.

6. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    even with the reported issues, I am extremely happy with my monitor, And glad some issues can be fixed with a simple driver update.

Side note, I noticed Overclockers.co.uk have stock of the monitor and also --

"- OcUK Exclusive Service: Warranty regarding dead pixels falls under ISO rules and as such dead pixels if very few are not an actual fault. But at OcUK we value our customers especially when spending such a large amount of money on what is a flagship gaming monitor. As such even if you only have 1 dead/stuck pixel and it has not gone after 3 days, we will class the monitor as faulty and exchange it for you at no cost to you. This service is exclusive at OcUK for Asus ROG Swift ONLY or other qualifying monitors! (Valid for 28 days from purchase)!"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  7. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Went down to a mates yesterday to help with his PG278Q as he got the out of range message and swears since that everything has gone to sh1t with his games! I did reinstall the driver and set it back to G-Sync but can't tell any difference in games?

Not sure if I'm missing something here but with G-Sync enabled I cannot tell the difference between G-Sync on and G-Sync off? Games look/play the same? Using driver 340.52 with G-Sync enabled and the Global 3D setting for V-Sync is set to G-Sync. I saw hitching ingame (noticeable on Sniper 3) and FarCry 3 runs the same with/without G-Sync so not sure what the problem is? Did run the Metro LL Redux benchmark and did note it ran smoothish at 25/30 fps but did hitch a bit! Settings were native res, Quality: Very High, 144Hz (Windows/Monitor) SSAA: 4x, AF: 16x, Motion Blur: Normal, Tesselation: Normal, Vsync: Off and Phsyx: Off. Knocking Motion Blur and SSAA off averaged 46fps and did run smoother but still hitched! The power light was red meaning G-Sync was on.

He's got a 780, 1st Gen Core i7 @ 4Ghz with 12GB RAM on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and runs it from an SSD! On the plus side I can't say I noticed any colour shift when moving my head about as most TN panels suffer from and I wasn't sitting square on, just to the left of it a bit!

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for the info about Overclockers holystarlight. I ordered from them as soon as you told me they had some in. I cancelled my Amazon order. I know they were cheaper but they were taking way to long and could not come up with an answer.

My Swift will arrive tomorrow! Now, guys. Is there anything I need to know or prepare for before it comes? I mean I use a Qnix right now with an .ICC file forced using Colour Profile Keeper. I remove that for a start but do I need to do anything else to make sure Windows is right for this monitor?

I heard that when you plug in a new monitor it treats it like new anyway so any settings changed in Windows or .ICC files etc... are ignored. Also drivers. Do I need to do anything with the Nvidia driver? Just enable GSync I guess.

To enable Gsync in a game do I enable VSync or disable?

Just want to make sure when it comes I can just plug it in and not have to worry about fiddling. Sorry for the hoard of questions! :D

9. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Go into all you games and DISABLE V-Sync! The mate I visited a few days ago said some games crashed with G-Sync on and V-Sync enabled in the game, but once he'd disabled V-Sync in game it worked fine.

One thing I forgot to mention in my post above was he'd set Windows to use 85Hz for the monitor but kept the actual monitor on 144Hz, this was when it was working as expected, but since it went screwy I set Windows to use 144Hz to match the monitor and that's how it stayed while I re-installed the driver and tested those games.

10. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So enable Gsync and disable normal Vsync in games. Gotcha. That's actually different from what I had heard! I heard that if you have GSync on but Vsync off in game then its like having Vsync off but when Vsync is on in game then Gsync enables.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    VSync on will force games to delay their frames till the next fixed refresh. VSync off will allow the game engine to draw the entire frame without it being presented prematurely and then the Nvidia driver would take care of it.

VSync off is identical in frame preparation and timing to GSync. GSync merely delays the time such frames are presented if they finish rendering after 1/144 s.

12. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I see. That makes sense.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  14. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    flickering for me both bottom and top and its green, kinda pulsing using chrome.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok I know its not the same, but try higher brightness if it lowers or eliminates flickering, here it stopped completely after I raised brightness to 80%+ (had at 65%), only a pulse flicker every few sec, guess its that 5 pixels frametime..

This is @ IPS panel and grey stayed grey, using standard lcd pixel overdrive.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Is is not supposed to be flickering?

17. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I don't understand the test. What is it for?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It tests to see if the monitor has problems with pixel inversion. Inversion is found on nearly all monitors to prevent damage to LCD's. How it does this is a little beyond my understanding but basically some panels have problems with uniformity and create certain artifacts when doing this. Both mine and Netherwinds have this issue, which is why in his video you can see the artifacting on the bright green in the names of world of warcraft. The same thing happens to me in various games with bright colored objects.

This test basically forces that to happen if there is an issue. The best monitor will not color the square or flicker at all but no monitor is perfect. My PG278Q falls on the complete opposite spectrum which is why I get so many problems in games.

What I'm trying to determine though is if all PG278Q's are made equal and all of them have this inversion problem or if it's a problem with only a select few. Judging by the number of people experiencing this issue on various forums I think it's a problem with all of them -- just that it doesn't bother some people or that they haven't had enough time to notice it (it is kinda hard to see at first).

I really like this monitor but if I'm going to pay $900 for a monitor I kinda want it to be as good as possible so I'd like to get one that doesn't have this problem.

19. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for the explanation. I should hopefully get my monitor tomorrow and after work i will run the test.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I cancelled my order and will hold off until these issues are actually resolved.

Hopefully it's not the same case as the Samsung 750D (random signal loss through DP).

Everyone said it was just a simple driver issue yet it was never fixed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014