Warning - Gigabyte 780ti OC and Ghz - don't buy

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Denco, Jul 26, 2014.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    No, I don't. I've never read a comparative review showing that gigabyte is the most quiet. But maybe, I'm not sure, I've read one with it being the coolest. Most likely at the price of being the loudest, and anybody can increase the fan speed. And in the end it might as well just be a matter of how pays the editor on some sites. As the most handy with a nice balance of quietness and coolness I'd be more likely to name ASUS, EVGA or MSI

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I'm very curious if this is a localized issue with a single batch or wide-spread. Really, I hardly see issues with their cards and consider them to be very good. A reality however is that people that have problems come to forums, people that do not have a problem ... well you don't see that much. So the minority that have issues always speak out the loudest.

The good news is that I have obtained a GHz edition of this card and we'll have a look at it in the weeks to come with a full review.

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    My MSI card is fine hahaha I'm so funny.

Seriously, I've been hearing things about Gigabyte OC cards for quite a long time now, I think this is a quality control issue, not just a bad batch of cards.

4. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    The 560Ti SOC by Gigabyte also had a lot of issues running at the clock they set it at.
    This is not the first time this has happened.

While I do love Gigabyte, this makes me think twice about getting an OC model from them.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    There have been quite a few WF3 GK110 problems pop up lately. I'd suspect a bad vBIOS personally and not really a hardware issue.

6. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    That's what I was thinking as well, possibly a voltage issue ?

7. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice this.
    Back in January this year I bought a Gigabyte GTX780ti OC, I would have driver stopped responding errors, games just freeze and crash etc. 3D Mark 11 was the worst, it would green artifact. (You probably saw some of my posts on the Geforce forum).
    Gigabyte did release a BIOS update to fix it, but it did nothing.

I had upgraded from Sli Asus GTX670 DCUII, which ran flawlessly.

Got the usual responses on other forums like its my system, its the drivers etc etc.
    I started fiddling around with Afterburner, lowering the GPU and Memory clocks, I found that dropping the stock memory clocks from 1750Mhz to 1650 or even 1600Mhz made the card rock solid stable.
    But thats not the point, you shouldn't have to underclock a card right out of the box.
    So I ended up taking it back, the replacement card never even made it into my machine, I got home, opened the properly sealed box and found the metal fan shroud was jammed up hard against the fans so they couldn't spin, there was no dints like if you dropped the card, just the screw holes were drilled in the wrong spot and the fans forced in.

Took that one back and got a Asus GTX780ti OC, had the sames issues with that as the review here had, stupidly high VRM temps (110c) and a horrible buzz from the card.

This was the start of a bad run of GTX780ti's.
    Finally after 5 GTX7870ti card 2x Gigabyte, 1x Asus and 2x Galaxy I went for the big bad-boy on the block a Classified, guess what I have a bad fan on that too.

So since January I haven't been able to use any $800+ card's properly, luckily I found a nice guy on the eVGA forums who sent me his Classy cooler for swaps (he is completely on water) so I don't have to stuff around with more RMA downtime.

8. WobbleTheHutt

WobbleTheHutt Guest

GPU:
    GB 780ti OC SLI
    This is what I found too with my GB OC 780TI's the memory doesn't have ANY headroom on it with long term stress testing, the core you can play with though a bit.

9. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Yep its only the VRAM that has an issue, you can OC the GPU fine, but you have to under clock the vram to even get the card stable at stock.

I'm guessing Hilbert never came across the same problem with the reviewers sample, he gave it a good review, which is why I bought one in the first place, not his fault Gigabyte skimped on the retail releases.

But the amount of people who have this problem can't be ignored, and no BIOS is going to fix a batch of dud VRAM.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Possible they tightened the timings too much on the vrams maybe? I can hit 7800 max on my vrams. Are they using hynix chips on the gigabytes?

11. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Mine was, and from what I've seen a lot of others were too.

12. Hardware Killer

Hardware Killer Member Guru

GPU:
    7970 Lightning Quadfire
    Australia def got some bad batchs, hardlock and blacksreen issues, one guy rma'd his 780 ti oc and the replacement was worse than the original

13. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    Finally, the masses gather :)

Come on people we need to be heard. There is no excuse for this. We did not bought 700 euros worth paperweight.

I want my product to be rock solid as it was advertised to be. I don't want no sqeeking fans ( which my RMA'd card has ). I don't want to underclock my card for it to be stable. I just want to use my card the way its meant to be used without fiddling with my computer and searching for answers.

14. WobbleTheHutt

WobbleTheHutt Guest

GPU:
    GB 780ti OC SLI
    I want to point out that after exhaustive testing mine are infarct stable under a 99% GPU load on both cards and a heavy memory controller load as well, I don't experience any odd crashes or any issues, however I know that there HAVE been issues with them and honestly I find hilberts overclocking stress testing not through enough. I run an artifact scanner and put the cards under load with a custom bios so the cards don't down throttle or boost (so I can set fixed clock-speeds) for 12hrs+ before I consider the cards stable, often artifices may not show up for over an hour or be visible to the eye.

15. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    You know whats funny about the issue in question, it will pass Kombuster and Furmark, artifact scanner an all, I ran it for hours including the memory tester in Kombuster. Heck it passed FIRESTRIKE too.

It is a very intermittent problem, 3D Mark 11 is the only thing that would artifact 100% of the time in the Demo that comes with the free version, Yet Batman AC/Far Cry 3/Metro Last Light you could play for hours, but Assassins Creed Black Flag would freeze and CTD, which didn't do it on my Sli GTX670's.

If letting Hilbert know what causes the issues, when he tests the Ghz edition he has he'll know what to try.
    3D Mark 11 Demo is guaranteed to make the Gigabyte card artifact, the moment I got the Asus no problem (besides vrm heat) and I didn't even reinstall the driver..lol.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Which specific 3DM11 scene is it ? I can loop that for a couple of hours to see what happens.

17. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Under the basic section, just select Demo only, doesn't matter what resolution.
    The artifacts happen during the first scene Deep Sea, usually when you're diving past the rock wall or flying over the sunken sub, well that's where I saw it the most.
    It will not do it in the rest of the Demo only Deep Sea.

I had the OC not the Ghz model though, but from what I understand its happening on both.

Oh I Goat Simulator produced major artifacts while standing in the corn field, this was with all settings maxed.

Strangest issue with a video card I've ever seen, usually its just faulty or not,
    And in all honesty the card itself was good, very quiet and kept really cool.

This is a thread I first found when I had the problem:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1466591/gigabyte-780-ti-oc-artifacts-during-3d-mark11

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Okay the video in that thread helps to identify the issue.

Card installed, it runs the 3DM11 Demo as we speak, i'll leave it for a couple of hours.

[​IMG]

Update 1: almost an our and a half of stressing. Noticed precisely two small split second glitches in the midst of scene changes / new starting scenes. Nothing that worries us thus far. We are using a retail sample. I do find the boost clock a bit extreme at 1215 MHz, I can see why some people would get artifacts in too hot systems with little airflow. GPU temp reaches close to 80 Degrees C.

Update 2: test finished. We had the card running for over 2 hours. There have been four visible occurrences of artifacts mostly during scene changes and starting scenes, they lasted a split second. While that shouldn't happen, it is not extremely worrying. In fact it is likely that with other brands as well thus could occur. We'll investigate a little more later this week.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There you go, I've heard that they may prove a problem if oc'd. Maybe it's a combination of voltage and vram issues, yet I personally would not buy a card with hynix memory.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  20. WobbleTheHutt

WobbleTheHutt Guest

GPU:
    GB 780ti OC SLI
    I got a stock bios flashed right now I'll test as well tomorrow. I didn't have any issues with goat simulator.