ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    The brighter a monitor is the worse it is for your eyes. The brighter a monitor is the less contrast ratio it has. The brighter your monitor is the worst your blacks are.

With a matt monitor compared to the glossy ones i have had before i have noticed that my black level has been better also.

2. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    Such a compelling argument

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Thankfully I have no need to mount the monitor on the ceiling or floor or look at it out the corner of my eye. I don't know about you guys, but I look like to view my monitors head on. What about you? :p

5. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Same here. I am looking straight at the monitor. If it needs a little lift or lowering I will use the excellent stand it comes with. Also the viewing angels are better than most TN.

I personally don't see this as a problem. I don't watch from an angle craning my neck around or lie on the bed watching from underneath the monitor. This is a gaming monitor and one of the best out there regardless.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Having 3 monitors and a calibration device I think I should know. The "bright" glossy sammy I mentioned is not really bright at around 145 cd/m2... which is about the same on my matte Qnix. Yet its 'bright enough' to make reflections not much of an issue with me.

Theoretically, the brighter the monitor the worse the contrast ratio is... but depending on how the monitors controls handle brightness/contrast its not necessarily the case. I have an ah-ips display where the reverse seems to be true. And this not just with me, but can occur with other ips korean monitors (see contrast ratio @ 274 cd/m vs 153 cd/m).

Blacks are best with my Qnix matte (not so much because its matte, but more so because its a PLS panel).. but blacks are not bad on my glossy and PDC monitors unless you put them side by side. Subjectively worse with the PDC, but if its an only monitor one is using (where they are not cross-comparing with others), one is not likely to complain on that front.

One thing I guess I've learned about monitors is that you cant generalize all based on their panel technologies (IPS, PLS, TN, MVA, etc), as their will be good or bad candidates of each. TN probably the most so due to to its mass produced budget nature where millions have been made and lots of crappy units have been in circulation over the last 10-15 years. Same goes for panel coatings - some glossies are likely to be better implemented than others as well as there being good mattes and crappy mattes.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  7. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Its almost the end of July,I thought this thing was supposed to be out pretty soon.

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Yes. Next week.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well to be perfectly honest, you wouldn't. I don't know of a single gamer who would be gaming out the corner of their eyes lol.

11. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This.

13. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I'd have to see this monitor in person before I even thought about it. Especially for $799,when you can get the Korean 1440p Monitors for less than half that. I know,there are some things that Asus can do the Korean's can't,nothing I'd miss tho. Qnix 1440p IPS.. :)

14. Saturate

Saturate Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI DirectCU II
    In Denmark it's $1172, that's just a stupid high price.

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Ouch! That is stupid. Not worth it.

16. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    The main thing with this monitor is Gsync...which no IPS panels have.

Gsync is one of those things where people can say that it's not a big deal to them, or they don't notice it or whatever but that's all bull**** truly because Gsync is basically the next massive leap in gaming quality and almost nobody that is educated about it will disagree with that fact.

Anyone (that's a gamer) that's buying a monitor now or in the future would be nuts not to get one with Gsync

17. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I for one will impartially tell you guys what i think of this monitor when i get it including colours.

18. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Looking forward to it! :thumbup:

I'm also curious about what kind of experience you get with the 670 SLI setup, as that might be a logical upgrade option for me if I buy the Swift.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Oh in that case I won't bother typing my personal experience with it then.

You're welcome!