Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Mumak

Mumak Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega
    So the SHM won't work, right?
    Gooooood :) At least something...

2. mtbiker033

mtbiker033 Member

GPU:
    3080ti FE
    The amount of nonsense posted on various forums about this is incredible.

:puke2:

Thanks to Unwinder for your work! I appreciate your passion and am a very thankful user of Afterburner!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yes it reminds me of the second resident evil when no one believed the nuke was from umbrella corp....it was just a nuke plant accident.

anyways be well be safe god bless

4. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Agreed. Keep your head down, Alex.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    EVGA has always been a cheap, shady company. Cheap, paper-thin "turbine" coolers on their cards. Cards that clearly aren't tested in extreme circumstances. More defects (and returns) than any company in the industry. Now this.

I never got the praise. All you need to do is hold a Gigabyte, MSI, or virtually any other card in one hand, and the EVGA in the other. The difference in build quality is undeniable.

EVGA: Cheap, crap. Products and company. Always have been and forever will be.

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    MSI of course!

7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Need to know more "facts" before I make any decision. As long as Evga did not copy/use any of UnWinder's code (and UnWinder admitted they did not have access) it's most likely permissible and legal.

I don't think "looks" will hold much value here since there are only so many ways you can display "line graphs", kinda similar to concept that there are only so many ways for different manufacturers of automobile dashboards to display speedometers, temperature gauges, readouts, etc..., or for that matter for cars to have 4 tires. They all seem similar to me ...

Aside from not seeing any contractual agreements from either party, I hope you are able to come to resolution to this issue.

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Wow! You spend a couple of months away concentrating on the family stuff and EVGA pull this nonsense!

A good reason to avoid them from now on me thinks.

9. GPU

GPU Guest

http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/310
    There is one instance in there of the term RivaTuner:
    you might want to read that
    sort of backs up what alex said , the name RIVATUNER is in the new evga PX software files.

10. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    Well, at least somebody updated the damn thing...

Looking forward to the new release!

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    i always found precision to be ugly and didnt like the layout much the only thing ive used it for is for the pixel clcok control which i cant seem to find in AB maybe its just in a different place but i cant find it.

12. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    I for one will always buy EVGA - for their support and for the quality of their products. EVGA were quick to release updated BIOSs for my GTX570 SC cards to solve TDR issues and modded one especially for me to maintain my voltages and run custom fan speeds.

Whatever the arguments around this sorry tale, I feel it is not my concern but purely the private concern of the parties involved.

However - should Unwinder release this new version of Afterburner with the ability to make it look like Precision, I will be extremely happy indeed as I didn't care for the aesthetics of Afterburner.

The functionality of Afterburner however is second to none as I found out after I switched to use the 64 bit OSD function.

So maybe the outcome will be a happy blessing for us all.

Maybe 'happy' isn't the right word though. Forward into the future ---->>>

13. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Ugh. Sadly I'm forced to comment one more nonsense related to this strory spread by some blind EVGA fanboy here. I realize that it is complete nonsense, but I'm still forced to give quick and easily verifiable facts because that teenage "genius" keep spreading it across different forums including EGVA support:

"Unwinder is a lying sack of ****. None of his work is being used by EVGA. If you want to believe his bull****, go spread your love where other people are dumb enough to buy into his crap. I actually installed Precision X version 4.21 with OUT installing RivaTuner. Being able to skip the RivaTuner install is a feature that both EVGA and MSI have been offering for a while, ever since Unwinder started pushing standalone version of RivaTuner again. He never once complained about Precision X version 4.21 using the settings UI without RivaTuner being installed, that's because, again, IT DOESN'T ****ING BELONG TO HIM.

He is saying that because EVGA came up with their own in game overlay, that it must some how be a stolen version of his work. But that's complete bull****. Unwinder is not the inventor of in game overlays, dozens of different versions exists, made by dozens of different companies. He can't claim that EVGA making their own overlay some how equals EVGA stealing his work."

Even if you install EPX 4.2.1 without RTSS, you can easily find RTxxx.DLL libraries inside the EVGA Precision folder, which include:

RTCore.dll - RivaTuner core library
    RTFC.dll - RivaTuner foundation classes library
    RTHAL.dll - RivaTuner Hardware Abstraction library
    RTMUI.dll - RivaTuner Multilanguage User Interface library
    RTUI.dll - RivaTuner User Interface library

You may open each of them and check copyright info. You may open even main EVGAPrecisionX.exe and check who owns copyrights.

14. Boulard83

Boulard83 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb Crucial ballistix
    I linked your answer on the LTT forum.

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Thanks, was too lazy to register, tried to respond to his statement in EVGA forum but it seem to be ignored. So I posted here.

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I doubt it'll do any good as it sounds like that ass has pretty much made up his mind EVGA did nothing wrong and Unwinder is evil. Never mind the fact the exe and included DLL's clearly contain technologies that were created and copyrighted by Unwinder.

17. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Kid just doesn't seem to realize that AB and Precision are a modified Rivatuner, he thinks the main program used to be made by EVGA ;)
    Also doesn't hurt to know the difference between Rivatuner and Rivatuner Statistics Server.

Unless i'm totally misinformed here :banana:

18. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    Well, first I'd like to say thanks to Unwinder for rivatunner, I learned a lot thanks to it and introduced me into GPU OC.

And, I love eVGA cards, but I'll give MSI cards a try now ( those lightning series seem to be pretty good tbh )

19. GPU

GPU Guest

Fettle
    [Fettle]

Total Posts : 18

Reward points : 0
    Location: Lahore, Pakistan.brianwashed so if you had dealings with the us and get screwed serves you right ?????
    Ribbons : 0

Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 3 hours ago (permalink)

wanako
    So essntially, this is all clickbait by Guru3D, and we're all eating it up. Nothing to see here, move along.

I agree. My hate has got much straonger now. Don't really like that Hillbert.

Still, I wont stop using EVGA products. I dont 'really' use any softwares like Precision, even tough I have it. Precision X version 4.0.0 and OC scanner 2.2.3.

I hardly use them. Don't care.

Happy with my GPU. This idiotic issue wont repel me from EVGA.

To Unwinder, good job!. You know you are not in America but you want to work with American entities. What happened to you is fair enough, if it happened. I like how you moan about not being in US and that you cant take any action. Enjoy the pain.

Go code with your tears. HAH!.

wtf is wrong with people today ??
    http://forums.evga.com/Did-EVGA-jus...n-concept-into-PrecisionX-15-m2191513-p4.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Posts like that are made by morons just ignore them. We all know it's Unwinders work, Precision will always be playing catch up.

Looking forward to more Afterburner updates :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014