G-Sync drivers and Non-Support NVIDIA GPU over-ride possible?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Zybane, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Zybane

Zybane Guest

GPU:
    Quad SLI 3GB GTX580
    Currently this is the list of "official" G-Sync supported GPU's:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/supported-gpus

I have a rather new laptop with a 780M and disappointed it's not on the list.

Does anyone know if a simple driver tweak may be able to get it to work like they modify the .inf files for "other" GPU's.

2. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    gsync support requires some kind of hardware on the GPU, 600+/kepler is min requirement, wonder if ur mobile chip is missing the hardware

3. Zybane

Zybane Guest

GPU:
    Quad SLI 3GB GTX580
    I think there is more to it than that. The 880M that is on the list is an identical chip to my 780M (just clocked a little higher), except that it has 8GB of memory (laugh) to my 4GB.

I think this is an attempt by NVIDIA to have people buy new GPU's instead of an actual technical requirement, hence my plea for driver mod information.

4. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I supposed you tried and G-sync option is not available in last drivers, right?

Which laptop are you using?

If the 2 cards are identical, you can imagine replacing the vBIOS with 880M one but this can be dangerous. Do it at your own risk.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

5. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
  6. Zybane

Zybane Guest

GPU:
    Quad SLI 3GB GTX580
    I am using an Alienware 17m with a 780M. It has a DP 1.2 port, I am using a 4K@60 Hz monitor with it.

There is no reason why G-Sync shouldn't work with this GPU.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there are no 4k 60hz monitoer with gsync module in it to that i aware of so.. what would it mater if the gpu supports it, as it need gpu and monitor that support it last i checked

8. Zybane

Zybane Guest

GPU:
    Quad SLI 3GB GTX580
    I'm not trying to use G-Sync with my 4K monitor. I'm purchasing a ROG Swift.

My Laptop has a DP 1.2 output and a GPU that is identical to a GPU as listed as G-Sync compatible. The point of this thread is to determine if simple changing some driver .inf files could get it to work. Basically trick the driver to think my 780M is a 880M.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If the hardware is not there in the gpu changing/mod drivers isnt gona make it magicly work if 780m dont have the hardware to do it

10. Zybane

Zybane Guest

GPU:
    Quad SLI 3GB GTX580
    Have you even read my posts?

I have a 780M. It is not listed on the G-Sync GPU list.

880M is listed on G-Sync GPU list.

880M is identical to 780M. Just clocked slightly higher.

There is no "hardware" that needs to change for my 780M to work, it's all driver related.

The purpose of this post is if any of the GPU driver guru's know of a way to get the drivers to work.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes i did you do REALIZE if it was identical in every way IT WOULD BE ON THE LIST?

Trick with BIOS flash to make think its 880m but if dont have hardware it wont mater

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  12. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    bios wont make drivers think its diff hardware, resistor bits on the pcb control that (ie kepler-> quatro mod)

(here is my 770 custom bios on my 680s)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014