System shuts down immediately after startup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by arxontas, Jul 9, 2014.

1. arxontas

arxontas Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X
    Hello there

To begin with, I know this topic has been discussed a million times, I have already done a lot of research and troubleshooting and I just need a second (or more :D ) opinion.

So the system shuts down right when I press the startup button. This started 2 days ago. One or two times when I left the PSU disconnected overnight, I got it to boot but after a couple of minutes it went back to turning off immediately.

Here is what I've tried:
    -Cleared CMOS.Also reinstalled the battery. It didn't work.I have the latest bios btw and did not make any hardware or other major changes recently.
    -I tried another PSU. Same problem. Also my PSU works on another system. So I guess the PSU is ruled out
    -I breadboarded with only the essentials(PSU,CPU,HSF,RAM,GPU,SSD) to rule out electrical shorts.(I was booting the system through the mobo onboard switch). I got it to boot twice, but then the same. I then removed SSD,GPU,RAM one at a time. Same problem. Then I inspected the motherboard for shorts and cleaned it. I even reinstalled the stock heatsink , just in case the backplate from my Thermalright 120 Extreme was creating a short. Problem persists.
    -Finally, I am lucky enough to have a friend who has a similar rig to mine, with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. I hooked my CPU,PSU,GPU,RAM,SSD to his motherboard and it WORKED.

I am therefore 90% positive that my motherboard died. I just need another opinion before I throw ~200eur on another. Why do these 4-year-old models still sell so expensive by the way, even used?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi,

This is why, dont disconnect it like that.. :)

Once you disconnect it from power mobo needs 2 boots, I had that too on my x48 or one friend with x38 mobo, or now with this Asus z87 it boots 3 times, guess 1st time gets power, 2nd sets OC, 3rd boots.

Use to do only 2 steeps with older bios though..

edit: Actually its still 2, Im using some adv, setting that needs 1 extra boot to set it properly.

Anyway I wouldnt worry about it, unless its doing this by normal cold boot.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's possible the board is bad but usually blown rubycrap caps or fried vrm's etc kill cheap boards, can't really see that happening on the P6T Deluxe....

How much available ram is reported in your bios? Is it equal to the amount installed?
    X58 have a reputation for RAM issues, something which could make the board shut down instantly. I'd look there first before writing off the board as dead, just in case....:)

my 2c

4. arxontas

arxontas Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X
    I never disconnect my PSU, I just disconnected it last night when my system was disassembled, trying to figure out what's going on. Anyway I have been pressing the button many times, still the same thing. By the way, the problem started 2 days ago , when my computer just randomly shut down while it was on, so it's not a cold boot issue. Also, as I said disconnecting the psu overnight was the only thing that made the system work for a few mins :D

5. arxontas

arxontas Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X
    There's no time for me to check, the system shuts down half a second after I press the button. Anyway, I don't think its a ram issue, I got my old sticks RMAed a few months ago and they sent me new ones. They have been working flawlessly so far

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Might be easiest just to get a new board rather than looking for a needle in a haystack...time/effort vs money lol

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes if you disconnect it like that it will boot 2 times.

If its doing this powered on, then maybe you got some loose cable somewhere, did you double check all connections? Maybe main 24pin or 8pin isn't settled properly.. But dont try that with pc power on. :D

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Quite a coincidence don't u think? Maybe that's related.

But time vs money.... could be lazy and buy a new board then return it within 7 days if crashes still happen.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually that just reminded me of one I saw ages ago where the system would shut down instantly, at random times. Turned out to be a faulty switch on the case, it's quite possibly doing it on ur rig..

To check just disconnect the easy connect plug from the board to case and short the pins. If it stays on your case is most likely to blame.

If not fark it...lol

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had 1 system where the switch was causing the issue. I've had 3 where it was the motherboard and 2 where it was the power supply. Since the power supply has been tested, that leaves just the switch and the motherboard. If the problem still occurs with the switch disconnected....the motherboard is the only other possible cause.

Why do you need more opinions?

11. arxontas

arxontas Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X
    Yep, I've read about that.. Actually when breadboarding, I was booting through the onboard switch that my mobo has.. So that eliminates the faulty switch I guess.

Anyway.. I guess I'lll just get a new motherboard

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my psu power up ( hit power button) once and goes to windows

If there was power failure/change to bios I will power up reset then go in to windows. this is how most bios work as far as i can tell from all the machine i put together.

IF it always doing this something is wrong. Mobo might be on his way out i would RMA it if you can

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    when it comes to eliminating suspected faulty hardware, nothing beats Panasonic.
    Sure, I hear some of you sn igger, but really, their tools can remove any doubt over whether a suspected faulty component is actually faulty, so it can be removed from the equation.

I actually have such tool in my house and it's really handy. Compatibility is great and supports most hardware. Mine is the high end Genius Edition which is obviously targeted at people like myself.

Anyway simply take the motherboard/GPU/RAM etc whatever, place it inside the tester and within about 5mins (up to 10mins with bigger devices as more analysis required.) you will know if the hardware is bad.
    It's easy to interpret results btw since a fault is indicated by black smoke. Lots of black smoke.

Occasionally the smoke will be accompanied by flames/sparks and a little puddle of goo, this indicates that the hardware fault is unrepairable.

This si the one I have but there are differnt ones available,

[​IMG]

Anyway hope that helps someone out there....cheers. :)

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    haha when all else fails nuke it!